Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

Just now, weatherwiz said:

There may be a heavier burst too of wintry precip...probably up near the MA/VT/NH border. I could see some spots, especially higher terrain getting a couple inches. 

It's a fronto finger. So wherever that sets up. NAM a little further north, HRRR south. GFS and Euro south too. Something to watch. A bit further SW temps aloft are warm. Kind of like a SWFE.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's a fronto finger. So wherever that sets up. NAM a little further north, HRRR south. GFS and Euro south too. Something to watch. A bit further SW temps aloft are warm. Kind of like a SWFE.

Yeah this does kind of resemble a SWFE. I was just looking at some soundings on the 12z NAM and this is some textbook sleet stuff

EDIT: best guess precip type says freezing rain but ehhh 

2023110712_NAM_048_42.75,-72.88_winter_ml.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Meanwhile late month and early December I think has a chance of the guidance is correct. Extrapolating GEFS and EPS.

Weeklies looked really nice for mid December and beyond too. I’m skeptical but nice look after a torch the first 10 days of the month. 

image.png.dcfcea40b7479d1ec838698756d4989c.png

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weeklies looked really nice for mid December and beyond too. I’m skeptical but nice look after a torch the first 10 days of the month. 

That's strange that mine look so different from the 11-18 of December and stops there. It must improve after because it was ugly into mid month. Anyways not that it means a whole lot now. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah this does kind of resemble a SWFE. I was just looking at some soundings on the 12z NAM and this is some textbook sleet stuff

EDIT: best guess precip type says freezing rain but ehhh 

2023110712_NAM_048_42.75,-72.88_winter_ml.png

Borderline there. That warm layer would probably completely melt all flakes and I don't think the cold layer is cold enough or deep enough to flip it back to IP. If you can knock that warm layer down a couple degC you may get some ice cores to survive back down into the cold layer. But that's just a snapshot in time with the WAA increasing aloft so there will probably be the typical transition zones.

Maybe we can at least start encasing the bodies in S VT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we are going to get any good chances in December it will come with a period where the PAC is rather favorable. I don't think we'll be getting Arctic support but that will change as winter progresses. That's a pretty decent look there...we may have to watch the N PAC for some potent storms which may help drive a brief, but favorable period.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Borderline there. That warm layer would probably completely melt all flakes and I don't think the cold layer is cold enough or deep enough to flip it back to IP. If you can knock that warm layer down a couple degC you may get some ice cores to survive back down into the cold layer. But that's just a snapshot in time with the WAA increasing aloft so there will probably be the typical transition zones.

Maybe we can at least start encasing the bodies in S VT.

Yeah it is borderline...I was thinking too that precip rates could influence p-type there and whether that little dry slot would influence as well. Another factor to consider too is the NAM may be a bit tool cold at the sfc there 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's strange that mine look so different from the 11-18 of December and stops there. It must improve after because it was ugly into mid month. Anyways not that it means a whole lot now. 

Yeah it really improved on the 5-day mean after about 12/17 or so….here’s the 5-day trailing mean on 12/15…you can see it’s still ugly

image.png.6990d6102cf8e0b32252c2d1d32855ac.png

And then the end of the run is 12/22 5 day mean which is a lot better…the pacific looks really good by then with the Aleutian low, -EPO/+PNA split flow with STJ …but obviously grain of salt that far out  

image.png.e89480ad307eb5058589e9cdf6a3d9a4.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it really improved on the 5-day mean after about 12/17 or so….here’s the 5-day trailing mean on 12/15…you can see it’s still ugly

image.png.6990d6102cf8e0b32252c2d1d32855ac.png

And then the end of the run is 12/22 5 day mean which is a lot better…the pacific looks really good by then with the Aleutian low, -EPO/+PNA split flow with STJ …but obviously grain of salt that far out  

image.png.e89480ad307eb5058589e9cdf6a3d9a4.png

Yeah we take that. We'll see I guess.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

PoPo and spoons be fighting…winter must be coming.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

It's so dumb. Accept the weather you get, it's the onmy weather you got.

Of all four seasons, winter stands head and shoulders above the others as the dumbest. 

32 minutes ago, dryslot said:

One should expect a period in december where is going to be warm, Typical Nino, Don't know why some would be shocked by it, We could have bad luck the whole month even if there's a favorable period.

Exactly. It could be warm but that doesn’t mean the whole month or season would be lost. All we need are legitimate windows. There were virtually none last year. Here at least. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'll take the early December warm hit any day, if it means a better pattern late month... I just hate looking out past two weeks this time of year