Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Yes, still too early to go all in on big heat for late next week. We wait. We look to see if modeling indeed heads in that real warm direction?

Right now they're not calling for high heat late next week ( and I mean high heat for this time of the year which would be upper 60s to 70 ), I'm seeing temperatures around 60 for next Friday. But let's see if that changes and the next several days.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWolf said:

Oh wait…so it’s not a lock for 70’s later next week..I mean T Flizz already had us basking in the tropics right through December…let alone later next week.  Well ain’t that quite the turn around… 

it means crap scientifically, but this year has a different feeling than last year to me so far.  The plus 15 anomalies 15 days away aren't locked in and grow stronger as the days go by.  Rain and 50 at 384 was the safest bet there was last year.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah... not that anyone bites on that GFS run but it's not just cold. There's a couple of decent wintry risks out there, too.

There’s been a lot of uncertainty out in that D10-15 range. Going full-on split flow out west is going to cause a colder look if that’s the path we take (ala OP GFS)…but EPS/Euro guidance has been saying not so fast…wait another week for that to happen. 

Interesting to track though…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

it means crap scientifically, but this year has a different feeling than last year to me so far.  The plus 15 anomalies 15 days away aren't locked in and grow stronger as the days go by.  Rain and 50 at 384 was the safest bet there was last year.  

Yes sir…you can already see and feel it. Doesn’t mean lots of wintry weather, especially right off the bat, but it’s not the same as last year that’s for sure, and that is the point. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s been a lot of uncertainty out in that D10-15 range. Going full-on split flow out west is going to cause a colder look if that’s the path we take (ala OP GFS)…but EPS/Euro guidance has been saying not so fast…wait another week for that to happen. 

Interesting to track though…

I was just looking more closely at the EPO and PNA indexes betwixt the 12th and 20th ... There's canonical behavior in a EPO burst followed by +PNA emerging in the Euro ens.  'Reasonably' well matched in the GEFs but less coherent in the PNA aspect. 

That's usually a more indicative of a real R-wave translation through the NE Pac that across the Conus, as opposed to the more static/standing wave variant ( which tucks the cold and Rockies snow pack improvement) while we swelter east of 100W. 

Either can manifest down stream of a -EPO burst, but seeing the PNA is encouraging that we don't spend 3-5 days with 70 F

speaking in deference to winter enthusiasts, mind you.

Actually, there's a signal in the WPO that precedes the EPO ... by a 3-5 days - albeit modest. It's there.

That -d(WPO) --> -d(EPO) --> +PNA along that timeliness is a flag that there's an r-wave pulse moving through the N arc of Pac domain.  It may not be a full on AB mode out there, but it's enough to send a cold shot/reload into Canada out past the 15th, nonetheless... 

We'll see

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

And so is saying December will end up a torch on November 7th… 

Sure. I don’t get too excited either way beyond 2-3 weeks. I just don’t do the whole “feel” thing. Last Novie flipped to below normal toward mid month as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

yeah, no denying it means nothing.  Some years though, it just seems it wants to snow and things break our way, while others, great patterns turn to shit no matter what..like last dec

I agree that each winter tends to have an overall vibe to it. 11/8 just seems a little early for me to gauge that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I agree that each winter tends to have an overall vibe to it. 11/8 just seems a little early for me to gauge that.

Agreed. Typical wavelengths aren’t really in place yet for winter…and I think this year especially, we need to be wary of the potent El Niño still developing which can cause drastic changes in sensible wx as winter matures. 

It’s easier to start feeling down on winter in La Niña if December is a turd, but that’s probably premature in a potent El Niño. On the flip side, if we start rocking with snow threats in December during potent El Niño, that’s usually a sign of good things to come. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed. Typical wavelengths aren’t really in place yet for winter…and I think this year especially, we need to be wary of the potent El Niño still developing which can cause drastic changes in sensible wx as winter matures. 

It’s easier to start feeling down on winter in La Niña if December is a turd, but that’s probably premature in a potent El Niño. On the flip side, if we start rocking with snow threats in December during potent El Niño, that’s usually a sign of good things to come. 

yeah this isn't a scenario where a good December means that the Nino isn't taking hold... most Ninos that start well also end well. 2002 and 2009 are good examples