Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

A below normal November is sealed it would seem.  Through 11/27:

BOS: -1.4

BDL: -1.9

PVD: -2.8*

ORH: -1.0*

That is usually good news in a step-down process that we're in now. It's good that both Oct and Nov won't go down in histoy as being both above average leading into the winter season. 

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Walked the dog on the Rec path this afternoon and the amount of tree damage is pretty impressive from the paste.

The birches got destroyed almost uniformly ha.  There’s a half a dozen down over a stretch of a mile.

BAC9FA0D-666E-435D-BE19-58708A6DF401.thumb.jpeg.c3f941a9ee6562e0d20a8b7885426168.jpeg

Gray birch, no strength at all.  Mediocre firewood, too.  The original "birch-bender" species - in the Jan 1953 ice storm in NNJ, my dad cut all the birch* tops from our road on the 8th, then had to do it again the next day as some additional trees had bent onto the road.  Six days w/o power.
* The "white birch" of NNJ were gray birch, except for the occasional planted paper birch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

A below normal November is sealed it would seem.  Through 11/27:

BOS: -1.4

BDL: -1.9

PVD: -2.8*

ORH: -1.0*

Yes, November looks to finish below normal but the sensor at AUG looks to be running warm.

GYX: -2.6
PWM: -2.9
AUG:  -0.9
CON: -2.4
MHT: -2.0

14 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yes, November looks to finish below normal but the sensor at AUG looks to be running warm.

GYX: -2.6
PWM: -2.9
AUG:  -0.9
CON: -2.4
MHT: -2.0

Good catch on AUG. Looks like it started having issues a couple years ago but the drift has accelerated in 2023 to make it more noticeable. 

IMG_9737.png

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good catch on AUG. Looks like it started having issues a couple years ago but the drift has accelerated in 2023 to make it more noticeable. 

IMG_9737.png

That stuck out like a sore thumb when you looked at the other sites for Nov, But i had looked at it from time to time doing comparisons over the last year by month and it was off.

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Gray birch, no strength at all.  Mediocre firewood, too.  The original "birch-bender" species - in the Jan 1953 ice storm in NNJ, my dad cut all the birch* tops from our road on the 8th, then had to do it again the next day as some additional trees had bent onto the road.  Six days w/o power.
* The "white birch" of NNJ were gray birch, except for the occasional planted paper birch.

I guess that we say birch bender, I had 3 white birch in my front yard during the Oct 2011 paste storm and they bent down like PF's picture, I cut them up for firewood, like you say it's not good firewood, burn's fast like pine.

• Like 1

Absolute pound town all day at Killington.  Unfortunately the pass claimed yet another victim.  The state needs to do something as we are having a fatality a month on rt 4.  This time a car lost control headed east down the mountain and hit a bus head on which careened into the woods.  Around 5:30 we were looking at an inch an hour with it having snowed all day.  Well over a foot since Sunday night here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

32 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I guess that we say birch bender, I had 3 white birch in my front yard during the Oct 2011 paste storm and they bent down like PF's picture, I cut them up for firewood, like you say it's not good firewood, burn's fast like pine.

Yeah , it's just okay firewood. I never cut it. Super heavy when it's green and when it dries not much heat value in it. Although I'm spoiled with locust and red oak.  Better than elm. I wouldn't burn that s*** if I was freezing. Certainly wouldn't process it.

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been interesting to watch it transition to more of the mtn west side. 

Yeah flow has been becoming more blocked, lift shallower, and deeper moisture decreasing after the cold front.  Putting the better snow upstream of the barrier.  I bet the west slope communities are seeing a steady fluff job.

There’s definitely some right to left drift on the higher scans with stiff NW flow and CAA.  Usually a bit east of the best radar scans is where the snow ends up.  Right now the best returns are backing up towards Williston/BTV suburbs area, but I bet towns like Underhill to Jericho are getting it best.  @J.Spinhas to be getting smoked.

42 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Yeah , it's just okay firewood. I never cut it. Super heavy when it's green and when it dries not much heat value in it. Although I'm spoiled with locust and red oak.  Better than elm. I wouldn't burn that s*** if I was freezing. Certainly wouldn't process it.

Yeah, I avoid elm too, stringy PIA to split.

• Thanks 1