Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

It's Nov 3rd and we're already blowing off Dec? why do people put any stock in LR models?

I don't think it's just using models alone...maybe some are but much of it has to do with an understanding of the climatology behind EL Nino's along with how things are currently progressing. As Will highlighted in a few separate posts, it is typical for EL Nino December's to be on the warmer side but like he said that is not always the case. So what you want to do is understand why some EL Nino Decembers were warm and why some were cold. Will also highlighted last night the GOA vortex perhaps becoming established. This is something that could favor warmer as well, but this is dependent on where it is positioned, the structure, and even what's happening within the Arctic. I don't think anyone is guaranteeing a warm December, but climo should be respected until we are proven otherwise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Weeklies had a +PNA burst in late November during Tday week so you could see how if that didn’t break down quickly, you could open December on the colder side. 

It's something like this that could really open the window for a winter threat in that time frame. I suspect (at least through December) we will see chaos within the PNA domain which will result in bursts of +PNA and then into -PNA. This would keep things active and hopefully we can load some cold in with maybe some EPO support.

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think generally “it’s a long way away” is just a defense mechanism to protect against the likely reality. Nino Decembers tend to be warm, and there is nothing glaring that suggests that won’t be the case right now.

Need a 128-495 paster for you.

4 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

A reminder for the winter faithful

Toxic positivity is the pressure to only display positive emotions, suppressing any negative emotions, feelings, reactions, or experiences. It invalidates human experience and can lead to trauma, isolation, and unhealthy coping mechanisms.

I'm working on positive negativity this year. When someone says it will be AN, I'm going for historically (and hysterically) AN. This way we can confuse the weather demons into giving us just the opposite. On occasion, I'll get serious and listen to the real mets--who actually know what they are talking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think generally “it’s a long way away” is just a defense mechanism to protect against the likely reality. Nino Decembers tend to be warm, and there is nothing glaring that suggests that won’t be the case right now.

La Nina Decembers tend to be colder but that didn't work out the last 2 years. It's a crude rule, but probably doesn't work like 40% of the time.

Also, at the end of the day, very few care whether the month was +2 or -1....they care if we got some good snow events....or even one well-timed snow event the week of Xmas or something. That's all 90+ percent of the posters care about. I can guarantee if we had a -1.5 December but a couple nasty cutters with little snow to show for it, the melts would be just as strong as if it was December 2022 all over again.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s 11/3.  Everyone stay calm.  Guidance is in flux now so where go past mid month is not entirely clear.  Meanwhile not a bad look mid month on clown range GFS.

GFS was a weird run....sort of delayed the ridge rolling over and allowed a couple reinforcing cold shots through 11/16

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Agree 100%. Especially se mass, expecting big snows in November and December is setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially with a strong nino in place, December climo isn’t favorable for us. That’s why I am not expecting any snow events here for at least the next 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

Strong El Niño decembers typically aren’t favorable. That’s why we probably won’t know what this winter is truly made of until mid January or so. 

per usual, one can always throw away at least 1 full month of winter between dec-mar, at least up here. i'm still hopeful, but won't be surprised if it's mild

17 minutes ago, George001 said:

Strong El Niño decembers typically aren’t favorable. That’s why we probably won’t know what this winter is truly made of until mid January or so. 

The last strong El Niño had a December that was good.   Even 1957 had a 12+ event in NJ on 12/5-per my memory EWR recorded 13.3. Not sure what happened here.  And don’t forget all the snow in 1997. 

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

The last strong El Niño had a December that was good.   Even 1957 had a 12+ event in NJ on 12/5-per my memory EWR recorded 13.3. Not sure what happened here.  

There is a fairly long list of solid winter events occurring during the first 5 or 10 days of December regardless of ENSO state.  The problem for hardcore winter snow pack lovers is that the snow cover rarely sticks around long.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Oh I'm thinking he was talking upper echelon Ninos. Yeah 2009 was good.

Super or Strong Nino December snowfall at ORH:

Strong:

1957: 2.2"

1965: 2.3"

1987: 12.9"

1991: 14.5"

2009: 20.7"

Super:

1972: 13.8"

1982: 6.4"

1997: 22.3"

2015: 1.4"

A mix of duds, average, and good months. But there are twice as many duds as "good" months, which makes sense given Nino climo. But OTOH, 5 out of 9 were average or better.

• Like 1