Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Yesvember or November?

Go Kart Mozart

43 minutes ago, George001 said:

I am seeing a lot of storms on the models hitting the Pacific Northwest and then tracking west to east near the Canadian border. I am seeing some talk about potential for an early winter storm threat, but with that storm track I think it’s more likely we will be south and east of the low. That’s not a snowy storm track in the heart of winter, never mind in November. That is why I do not agree that we will have a snow threat in eastern mass over the next couple of weeks. I believe we will get more rain instead. 

The storm threat for us wound be late next week. I don’t see much else beyond that on the ensembles. We warm up mid-month….then beyond that is anyone’s guess at the moment. 

Weeklies today still have that PNA spike Tday week which looks stronger than last run so we could be chilly that week if it verifies…then it morphs into a big GOA low to start December which torches us for the first 10 days of the month before they reload the EPO/PNA ridging mid-December with split flow and STJ which would be a really nice look….but that’s the end of the run so really take with a grain of salt anything past week 3 or 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The storm threat for us wound be late next week. I don’t see much else beyond that on the ensembles. We warm up mid-month….then beyond that is anyone’s guess at the moment. 

Weeklies today still have that PNA spike Tday week which looks stronger than last run so we could be chilly that week if it verifies…then it morphs into a big GOA low to start December which torches us for the first 10 days of the month before they reload the EPO/PNA ridging mid-December with split flow and STJ which would be a really nice look….but that’s the end of the run so really take with a grain of salt anything past week 3 or 4. 

I think a lot too plays on where the core anomalies with the GOA are located. If we can keep those west, either over the Aleutians or just west and can get some Arctic support we may be able to avoid a torch here and at least see something that could favor interior. The one thing I at least like is I don’t think we are going to get porked at any point by the Arctic. There will be occasions where the PAC pork’s us but I think the evolution of the PAC through the winter will eventually be in our favor. I am tooting 57-58 hard

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Wow,folks already hanging on to winter....you can feel that clinging.  Bless their tiny little hearts""

Just the nip.  We love the taste.

Barely below freezing at 30-31F locally, but WAA moving in from the west.

Coldest air is wedged in to the east.

1FC69897-E072-4B22-BFFE-6AACEF71B02A.gif.157ac0f0e51e6cfca6c4ef6c3a356077.gif

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam here....But, with all the talk of a pending warmup, why is there typically so much confidence put into it playing out?  Are there elements to a warm air mass that allow it to dominate over other scenarios playing out?  Is it due to being something that can be simply and easily verified (temp readings) and easy to track west to east?

Also, another remedial question that's related:  is there a standard time period for air masses and/or weather systems to travel across the globe?  For example, if there are specific temps in Japan today, does that have any bearing on what our weather may/could be in X number of days?  I know it's not this simple but am curious if this kind of thing plays into an overall look and evaluation of North American weather forecasts. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

12 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I think a lot too plays on where the core anomalies with the GOA are located. If we can keep those west, either over the Aleutians or just west and can get some Arctic support we may be able to avoid a torch here and at least see something that could favor interior. The one thing I at least like is I don’t think we are going to get porked at any point by the Arctic. There will be occasions where the PAC pork’s us but I think the evolution of the PAC through the winter will eventually be in our favor. I am tooting 57-58 hard

Cosign, this is what I think, too. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Layman said:

Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam here....But, with all the talk of a pending warmup, why is there typically so much confidence put into it playing out?  Are there elements to a warm air mass that allow it to dominate over other scenarios playing out?  Is it due to being something that can be simply and easily verified (temp readings) and easy to track west to east?

Also, another remedial question that's related:  is there a standard time period for air masses and/or weather systems to travel across the globe?  For example, if there are specific temps in Japan today, does that have any bearing on what our weather may/could be in X number of days?  I know it's not this simple but am curious if this kind of thing plays into an overall look and evaluation of North American weather forecasts. 

When you say warm up, how far ahead are you talking?

1 minute ago, Layman said:

The two date ranges I've seen mentioned are "mid-month November" and @ORH_wxman referenced the first 10 days of December.

Mid-Nov is high confidence because it's not that far away and decent model agreement. Early Dec is way less confidence. Weeklies are warm there, but those change a lot when it's week 4 and beyond.

El Nino climo would support a warm December....esp early December, but there are plenty of El Ninos that didn't follow that route.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mid-Nov is high confidence because it's not that far away and decent model agreement. Early Dec is way less confidence. Weeklies are warm there, but those change a lot when it's week 4 and beyond.

El Nino climo would support a warm December....esp early December, but there are plenty of El Ninos that didn't follow that route.

Some out there think December might start cold but we’ll see. Definitely high confidence for mid Novie.

• Weenie 1

Is there anything specific to a warm airmass that inspires the confidence in it happening or could/would the confidence be the same with a cold/frigid airmass assuming all the model signs were equal?

Kudos to all of you who do this for a living and dynamically reevaluate this data every few hours.  It must be a career you're passionate about because I imagine it could get exhausting!

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Some out there think December might start cold but we’ll see. Definitely high confidence for mid Novie.

Weeklies had a +PNA burst in late November during Tday week so you could see how if that didn’t break down quickly, you could open December on the colder side.