Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Mid/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

that is literally the only reason

At last we have a breakthrough of understanding of the psychology of some of these posts :lol:

But ya see, that alone doesn't work...if things don't work out you're STILL disappointed. And lowering expectations doesn't work either, btw. Like watching a team you love that regularly screws things up...it's still gonna hurt if they come so close to winning but find a to choke. Like you know your team's propensity to do that...yet deep down you can't stop hoping. Then they let you down and it still kinda hurts. That's what the last 8 years have been like. This is why I don't get why people don't understand why the posting has been more negative. Like...HELLO? You measured snow lately?? Lol

I learned last winter that when things suck, the only real relief is to just not think about it as much. By February I was on here and the model sites less and less. That way the only reminder I got was on the news when the weather came on. I'd fuss and fume...and then that'd be it. Same technique I'd use while the Orioles were absolutely awful from 2018-2021. Lessen the exposure...lol

15 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I have to ask...why do you think that other than to gird yourself against potential disappointment?

Just the way winters have been trending. Also just get the feeling it’s not going to be amazing. Should be better than last year but, that’s not a high mark to beat lol. 2” would be 100% higher 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TSSN+ said:

Just the way winters have been trending. Also just get the feeling it’s not going to be amazing. Should be better than last year but, that’s not a high mark to beat lol. 2” would be 100% higher 

If this does morph into a drier than expected winter following this year long severe drought we are in over here , with the corresponding large drop in ground water levels - The Shenandoah Valley and over toward Culpepper will be a massive agricultural disaster area going into the next growing season...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Selfishly, since snow is a long shot in november down this way anyway, my heating oil getting a few weeks of limited usage is...not terrible news. 

Yeah it’s “fine”. I’m just always impatient for winter to show up. Doesn’t change my feeling about winter at all. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah it’s “fine”. I’m just always impatient for winter to show up. Doesn’t change my feeling about winter at all. 

I'm honestly in no rush to bring cold weather in - never have been and never will be. On December 1, my feelings change and I'm ready to roll (or at least ready to start seeing wintry weather on the horizon), but before that I don't get worked up about the weather on any given day.

• Like 2

If we were getting N'easters now, the gripe would be "if this were only a month later"....

Anyway, if we get to late December with no pattern change in site then I will start to worry, but even then the seasonals say February will be the best month.  No model has shown a strong signal for a cold and wintry November or December.

Edit:  maybe the JMA likes Dec.

2 hours ago, Jrlg1181 said:

If this does morph into a drier than expected winter following this year long severe drought we are in over here , with the corresponding large drop in ground water levels - The Shenandoah Valley and over toward Culpepper will be a massive agricultural disaster area going into the next growing season...

Your thoughts are outstanding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many others are whistling Dixie!

3 hours ago, TSSN+ said:

So far as in past years.  I see way too much play off the Pacific Ocean.  I am not sure how warm the Pacific Ocean is, but it's becoming clearer every year that the warmth flowing off the Earth's largest body of water is well, just bullying the polar / Arctic continental air out of the way or keeping it FAR NORTH.  It's new normal I have been observing more and more since the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's. 

Just now, pazzo83 said:

he seemed legit excited - i hope he's right.

Me too. Honestly, I'd like to pattern to flip maybe 5 to 7 days before Christmas then we don't torch the rest of the winter. I know we cannot expect wall-to-wall cold, but having it in the 60s in mid January with bad air quality and no precipitation last winter was just terrible.

• Like 3

Agreed...the southern stream has been practically non-existent for most of the year with most of the storms riding the high latitudes.  That seems very Nina'ish, though maybe the gom will open up as the jet streams sinks farther south.

Didn’t the niño officially take hold in June though? We were still in a niña at the end of last winter through spring. So using the entire year as a reference doesn’t seem right here. Most mets I follow have been saying the STJ likely won’t get going until late November / early December. Have to imagine it takes some time for the longwave pattern to become entrenched and for things to unfold downstream for us. We also had a pretty wet September. Pretty sure dry Octobers during niño years isn’t super uncommon either but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Think it’s still a tad early to be either too concerned or too optimistic about our chances this winter. If it’s still super dry come thanksgiving through December 15th, we can revisit the possibility of a drier niño.

One thing is for sure… there are a ton of different factors at play here. Some of which could drastically help us, some that could crush our hopes. We’ve discussed winner and loser niños at length in here over the past several months. All it takes is 1 or 2 things at h5 to be wrong for it all to come crashing down, or vice versa.

I think the takeaway currently is that this is the best h5 / longwave pattern we’ve had going into winter for nearly 7 years. How it all unfolds is anyone’s guess. I feel like we have a 65/35 chance of success vs failure this year given our new base state, which is a helluva lot better than the dismal chances we’ve had during the past several / consecutive niñas.

Not much of interest in the near term other than modest rain chances for some areas late this week and a chilly period late weekend into early next week. Outside chance eastern areas get brushed by a coastal storm off of NC early next week. 

Towards Thanksgiving there are hints of some change in the pattern, with a -EPO and a neutral/slightly positive PNA. AO and NAO look to remain somewhat positive. There is still a signal for a storm leading up to Thanksgiving. Still looks mild but might be our next best shot at some widespread rain across the region.

1700589600-Obbgtdpz2E0.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Doug Kammerer leaning towards the chances of a decent snowstorm or two this winter. Just released his winter forecast on the air. He's going nearly 200% normal snowfall for DCA and "3 or 4 Nor'Easters".

He's correct, except for one small detail.

His numbers are conservative. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 4

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic