Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2023

Stormlover74

13 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Forget the cooler weather. I need 80s with a dew point of 40 to dry everything out nicely. Need to paint the front porch and stain the back. Hell I might need to replace some wood now from it starting to rot in all the moisture. This is ridiculous now. I’m so beyond this crap. Lightning fried the aquastat control panel for our boiler. Can we just have some normal weather now? 

Move to Suffolk county. It barely rains in the summer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Pretty incredible repeat of the July pattern. .11 at the south hold meso. Meanwhile over 6” in the Bronx. 

For once I lucked out IMBY but it's generally the same garbage July pattern. Endless rain inland, high dewpoint swamp here. And I agree, this time of year it shouldn't be happening.

9 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

For once I lucked out IMBY but it's generally the same garbage July pattern. Endless rain inland, high dewpoint swamp here. And I agree, this time of year it shouldn't be happening.

Storms keep blowing up over the sound and immediate north shore. I think it may have to do with the sound being nearly 80 degrees. Mid island getting screwed all week. 

Jets baby

2 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

Forget the cooler weather. I need 80s with a dew point of 40 to dry everything out nicely. Need to paint the front porch and stain the back. Hell I might need to replace some wood now from it starting to rot in all the moisture. This is ridiculous now. I’m so beyond this crap. Lightning fried the aquastat control panel for our boiler. Can we just have some normal weather now? 

Yeah in the last year or two our back deck has really begun to rot.  This kind of weather doesn't help, because the high humidity is just keeping the wood damp.

I've been noticing something too, that when we have this high humidity mixed with the rain, the air has been smelling really weird.  I thought it was just around my backyard or neighborhood, but even across town and beyond I smell it.  Should clear out with the low dewpoint airmass coming in soon.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah in the last year or two our back deck has really begun to rot.  This kind of weather doesn't help, because the high humidity is just keeping the wood damp.

I've been noticing something too, that when we have this high humidity mixed with the rain, the air has been smelling really weird.  I thought it was just around my backyard or neighborhood, but even across town and beyond I smell it.  Should clear out with the low dewpoint airmass coming in soon.

What you smell is New Jersey stanky air. Ain’t going anywhere…

• Haha 5
  • Weenie 1

The next 8 days are averaging   72degs.(65/79) or +2.     ***Wake of Lee brings sinking air and sunny skies with T's in the 70's for Thurs-Mon.      Next hurricane threat about Sept. 26th. around here.

***EURO seems to come too close for this forecast, however.

Reached 84 at 5pm yesterday.

Today:   78-82, wind nw, variable clouds, 70 tomorrow AM.

70*(96%RH) here at 7am.      73* at 9am.     76* at Noon.     81* at 3pm.

10 hours ago, psv88 said:

Move to Suffolk county. It barely rains in the summer. 

Yesterday was the anomaly. 

8 hours ago, psv88 said:

Storms keep blowing up over the sound and immediate north shore. I think it may have to do with the sound being nearly 80 degrees. Mid island getting screwed all week. 

The water was 5" deep on some of the roads I was driving on in Middle Island yesterday during some torrential downpours. 

Another nickle and dime rainfall day here last 24 hours.  Total = .15".

Total since last Wednesday = 1.31".

Nothing noteworthy in terms of wind, thunder / lightning, heavy rainfall rates.  Just off and on passing moderate to briefly heavy showers / T-showers for the last 6 days.

72 / 67, partly sunny and should remain mostly rain free outside some isolated showers this pm. Low / mid 80s in the warm spot.  Trough pushes front through Wed (9/13) with a round of storms in the PM.  Beyond there Thu (9/14) and through the weekend looking very nice, near normal and drying out.  Lee stays east and NNW flow keeps it dry and near normal the weekend.  Beyond there after mid month warmer as ridge develops east.  Overall warmer close of the month.  Could become mre humid with southerly flow and any tropical or stalled fronts could keep it wet and warm. 

Lee on the visible

https://cdn.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES16/ABI/SECTOR/eus/02/GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 95 (1961)
NYC: 94 (1961)
LGA: 94 (1961)

Lows:

EWR: 47 (1958)
NYC: 46 (1917)
LGA: 52 (1967)

Historical:

1857: The SS Central America sinks during a hurricane, killing 425 lives. Fourteen tons of gold was aboard the ship as well.

1977 - Thunderstorms deluged the Kansas City area with torrential rains in the early morning hours, and then again that evening. Some places were deluged with more than six inches of rain twice that day, with up to 18 inches of rain reported at Independence MO. Flooding claimed the lives of 25 persons. The Country Club Plaza area was hardest hit. 2000 vehicles had to be towed following the storm, 150 of which had to be pulled out of Brush Creek, which runs through the Plaza area. (The Kansas City Weather Almanac)

1979 - Hurricane Frederick smashed into the Mobile Bay area of Alabama packing 132 mph winds. Winds gusts to 145 mph were reported as the eye of the hurricane moved over Dauphin Island AL, just west of Mobile. Frederick produced a fifteen foot storm surge near the mouth of Mobile Bay. The hurricane was the costliest in U.S. history causing 2.3 billion dollars damage. (David Ludlum) (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Showers and thunderstorms produced heavy rain which caused flooding in North Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Parts of Virginia received 3 to 4 inches of rain in just two hours early in the day. Later in the day, three to five inch rains deluged Cumberland County of south central Pennsylvania. Evening thunderstorms produced seven inches of rain at Marysville PA, most of which fell in three hours time. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - An afternoon tornado spawned a tornado which skipped across northern sections of Indianapolis IN damaging roofs and automobiles. It was the first tornado in central Indiana in September in nearly forty years of records. Hurricane Gilbert plowed across the island of Jamaica, and by the end of the day was headed for the Cayman Islands, packing winds of 125 mph. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Snow whitened the mountains and foothills of northeastern Colorado, with eight inches reported at Buckhorn Mountain, west of Fort Collins. Two to three inches fell around Denver, causing great havoc during the evening rush hour. Thunderstorms produced severe weather in the Southern Plains Region between mid afternoon and early the next morning. Thunderstorms produced hail three inches in diameter at Roswell NM, and wind gusts greater than 98 mph at Henryetta OK. Thunderstorms also produced torrential rains, with more than seven inches at Scotland TX, and more than six inches at Yukon OK. (National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1999: Hurricane Floyd, a Category 4 storm with top winds of 145 mph, was making residents along the U.S. East Coast very nervous as it steamed steadily westward. Floyd was once forecast to strike Florida but turned away. Instead, Floyd hit the Bahamas at peak strength, causing substantial damage. It then paralleled the East Coast of the United States, causing massive evacuations and costly preparations from Florida through the Mid-Atlantic States.

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Beautiful day! One more day of humidity tomorrow than September weather sets in for good. Goodbye summer 

Agreed...might see a warmup after this but 90+ becomes rare as we head towards the 2nd half of the month

hottest weeks here were mid April and the First week of Sept...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WX-PA said:

8 degrees above normal in late September is near 80 if that's correct. Very hard to get to 90 past the 15th of September.

Upper 80s to some 90s has been the post 9-16 norm since 2010. 

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Ending Date
Highest Max Temperature Sep 16 to Oct 10
Missing Count
2022-10-10 88 0
2021-10-10 88 0
2020-10-10 83 0
2019-10-10 96 0
2018-10-10 84 0
2017-10-10 92 0
2016-10-10 90 0
2015-10-10 89 0
2014-10-10 87 0