• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Hilary

WxWatcher007

I know we rarely have separate threads for EPAC systems, but given the current NHC track and potential high impact in the SW US, I think it's worth a thread. 

Hilary is currently undergoing rapid intensification, with it attaining category two status as of the noon MDT (2pm EST) NHC intermediate advisory. As you can see on the recent IR image, an inner core has developed and we have an apparent attempt to clear the eye. The current environment for intensification is about as good as it gets, and this should easily reach major hurricane status. 

giphy.gif

An anomalous steering pattern with an eastward shifting ridge and trough west of CA looks more likely, causing Hilary to move NW into Baja and potentially southern California. 

174208_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png.1b635858d16ddd853bc3c571c4726f29.png

Despite the track and intensity forecast generally being solid, we still have significant uncertainty as Hilary approaches Baja and the SW US. 

density_new.thumb.png.73a8420286021cf5e5227f6bcd07da00.png

In terms of impact, while it's novel to have an actual tropical storm in California, it looks like rainfall and flooding will be the main hazard, with a rare moderate risk for excessive rainfall for part of southern CA 

174208WPCERO_sm.gif

• Like 2

depending on how the track plays out, this could be a hydro disaster for Los angeles.  If it comes in farther west and puts 6 inches of rain down in one day……I’m not even sure the Los Angeles river would stay in its banks.  Crazy times.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Don't they see significant rains during monsoon season on a regular basis? 

They do but for maybe 30-45 minutes, and even .30-.40 in that span can flood hotels/etc.  I think if they saw a day with several inches and periodically saw amounts over .50 in an hour they'd have big issues 

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Hurricane Hilary--110mph/960mb (EPAC)
35 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

1939 for a sea to land landfall, but I think 97 was the last time a designated TS was over CA. 

11 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Hurrevac has the storm at 100 mph near San Diego! I have a hard time buying that right now.

Yeah I’d sell that. 

• Like 2

We'll also have recon tomorrow.

NOUS42 KNHC 171455
REPRPD
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1055 AM EDT THU 17 AUGUST 2023
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
         VALID 18/1100Z TO 19/1100Z AUGUST 2023
         TCPOD NUMBER.....23-079

I.  ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
    2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS
    1. HURRICANE HILARY
       FLIGHT ONE - TEAL 77          FLIGHT TWO - TEAL 78
       A. 18/1730Z                   A. 19/0530Z
       B. AFXXX 0109E HILARY         B. AFXXX 0209E HILARY
       C. 18/1215Z                   C. 19/0015Z
       D. 18.5N 112.1W               D. 20.3N 113.3W
       E. 18/1700Z TO 18/2030Z       E. 19/0500Z TO 19/0830Z
       F. SFC TO 10,000 FT           F. SFC TO 10,000 FT
       G. FIX                        G. FIX

2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY: CONTINUE 12-HOURLY FIXES. BEGIN
       6-HOURLY FIXES AT 20/1130Z.

$$
WJM/SET

NNNN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Vegas might shutdown for like a week if they see even 2-3 inches of rain

Indeed! Per official LV records that go back to 1937, the heaviest two consecutive calendar day rainfall on record is 2.59" that fell August 20-21, 1957. That was also during an oncoming strong El Niño, coincidence or not. Next was the 2.10" of 12/28-9/2004 (weak El Niño). The 3rd heaviest was August 21-22, 2012 (warm neutral ENSO), when 2.03" fell. 

So, 2 of the 3 heaviest were during August 20-22. The upcoming heavy rain threat looks to be centered on August 20-21!

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Hilary--120mph/955mb (EPAC)
14 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Other than the flash flooding, isn’t this overall an excellent thing for the region to end the long term drought? Last winters snows and rains seemed extremely beneficial but this seems like it could be the nail in the coffin to end the drought many thought would never end just a year ago

I’m not sure, but I spoke to a friend from LA and he said he’s hopeful this’ll act to suppress fire season. 

• Like 4

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Major Hurricane Hilary--125mph/952mb (EPAC)
45 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m not sure, but I spoke to a friend from LA and he said he’s hopeful this’ll act to suppress fire season. 

I know. I’m reading on here and it’s like doom and gloom with how “bad” it’s gonna be in the SW and I’m just thinking how people are worried that “a remnant tropical system hitting the most drought stricken part of the country over the last decade” is a bad thing… Like how was the drought going to end? Endless days of light rain in the southwest? This seems like the absolute best scenario possible after the great winter they had

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I know. I’m reading on here and it’s like doom and gloom with how “bad” it’s gonna be in the SW and I’m just thinking how people are worried that “a remnant tropical system hitting the most drought stricken part of the country over the last decade” is a bad thing… Like how was the drought going to end? Endless days of light rain in the southwest? This seems like the absolute best scenario possible after the great winter they had

The terrain and soil types in the SW are not conducive for absorbing this much rainfall in such a short amount of times. Many locations are about to receive a year's worth of precipitation in under 72 hours. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

14 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The terrain and soil types in the SW are not conducive for absorbing this much rainfall in such a short amount of times. Many locations are about to receive a year's worth of precipitation in under 72 hours. 

Well that’s the thing, right? It’s probably great for the basins, but in those desert and urban areas it just runs off. If it verifies God help people unaware enough to travel into some of those parks.