• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July Discobs 2023

George BM

Has anyone seen any changing in color of tree leaves? 

Was driving along MD 17 in Brunswick. There is a set of trees that in the fall are the first to change color. There are two trees that are changing to their orange fall color. The trees are not dead they are just changing color early. Also while heading out 340 towards WV I saw many more trees changing color. Like the vibrant reds you get out that way. Is this because of the lack of rainfall and the tree just giving up on staying green? I have never seen trees this early be anything but green. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Was driving along MD 17 in Brunswick. There is a set of trees that in the fall are the first to change color. There are two trees that are changing to their orange fall color. The trees are not dead they are just changing color early. Also while heading out 340 towards WV I saw many more trees changing color. Like the vibrant reds you get out that way. Is this because of the lack of rainfall and the tree just giving up on staying green? I have never seen trees this early be anything but green. 

The trees along Rt. 9 on top of the mountain at the WV-VA state line are full of vibrant fall colors.  I was very surprised to see that.  Like you, I have never seen that before late August even in the driest summers, and not with such vivid color in those cases.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

Yes.  Have seen plenty around here too.  As well as dropping leaves.  Totally due to drought stress.

• Like 1

Clear as a bell directly overhead but I see some cumulus congestus (or something akin) off to the N/W. Must be a hell of a cap in place. And, yeah, muggy and uncomfortable. Seems like today could go either way: little to nothing in the immediate area, or a solid severe wx event?

Just read the afternoon AFD. Outflow boundaries, baby! Spawn those storms like mosquito larvae in a swamp. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Wxtrix said:

now 78/75 with .15” of rain. 2 warned storms came through in the last hour and i’m hearing sirens.

You have severe weather sirens out there? I usually associate that with places like Oklahoma or Kansas. Of course I've never lived in a semi-rural area ... correct me if I'm wrong if you don't ... so maybe that's de rigueur  in most places.

I remember driving through S/C Oklahoma once, through the town of Frederick. On the SW side of town, every other telephone pole, it seemed, had a speaker. I assume it was for the sirens and that they were located there to warn of storms/tornadoes approaching from the SW. But that's just supposition on my part; maybe there were there just to play selections from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical on Cadillac Day, for all I know. Anyway, the sight of those sirens made me think of tiny vulnerable towns in the Great Plains, which could be suddenly eradicated from existence by a Greensburg/Udall type event, and these little sirens were a brave way of trying to mitigate existential (and usually nighttime) destruction. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

You have severe weather sirens out there? I usually associate that with places like Oklahoma or Kansas. Of course I've never lived in a semi-rural area ... correct me if I'm wrong if you don't ... so maybe that's de rigueur  in most places.

I remember driving through S/C Oklahoma once, through the town of Frederick. On the SW side of town, every other telephone pole, it seemed, had a speaker. I assume it was for the sirens and that they were located there to warn of storms/tornadoes approaching from the SW. But that's just supposition on my part; maybe there were there just to play selections from a Rogers and Hammerstein musical on Cadillac Day, for all I know. 

i could hear the emergency vehicle sirens :D --turns out yet another house got struck by lighting and was on fire.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic