Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2023

Stormlover74

10 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not surprising. It’s only a matter of time before we get one of those extreme heat domes and crush all kinds of records. If the pac nw and Europe can do it, so can we. 

whenever we get a ridge bridge it's going to be awful. i genuinely don't want it

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

whenever we get a ridge bridge it's going to be awful. i genuinely don't want it

Surprised to hear that. Being that I’m a horticulturalist in Manhattan, I’ll take a hard pass. Even though I love records, that’s going to a be brutal one. 110+ with who’s knows what heat index. Imagine the subways after that. 

2 hours ago, winterwarlock said:

94 imby 

99 heat index

Not quite as oppressive  as yesterday. Loving today..bottled it

4 of last 5 days 90 plus but no official heatwave til tomorrow 

7 90s now for me

You're right that it didn't feel oppressive today. The dewpoint got down to 64 here this afternoon. Not too bad. It didn't feel that bad exercising outside this afternoon. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, winterwarlock said:

@Allsnowyes i was down at the jersey shore....10 am to 3pm...got dark clouds and left but was solid before that with mix of sun and clouds and steamy.  Got into torrential rains though for part of trip hom on 18

finally summer weather, today was tough at 94 and heat index over 100. Usually i am acclimated by now but this was only the 5th 90.

Still mowing? Happy you’re getting the weather you love 

10 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Still mowing? Happy you’re getting the weather you love 

All the rain we've gotten since late June really rejuvenated the lawns. I had never seen so much brown grass so early in the season in May and most lawns seemed burned out in June. I didn't think we would get back to regular lawn cutting, but it's amazing how quickly it's growing now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

All the rain we've gotten since late June really rejuvenated the lawns. I had never seen so much brown grass so early in the season in May and most lawns seemed burned out in June. I didn't think we would get back to regular lawn cutting, but it's amazing how quickly it's growing now. 

Agree.  Was driving around up in my area today and everything is green and lush.  No sign of browning anywhere.  Nice turnaround!

• Like 3

The temperature again soared into the lower 90s across parts of the region. The heat extended into Maine where Bangor reached 92° and Caribou reached a record-tying 91°.

It will be steamy and very warm through the end of the week. Temperatures could continue to reach or exceed 90° in parts of the region.

Afterward, near to somewhat above normal readings will likely prevail through mid-month.

Next week could also see an extreme heat event develop in the Southwest. Cities such as Tucson and Phoenix could see readings rise toward record daily levels. The excessive heat could extend across New Mexico and a large part of Texas.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.9°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.9°C for the week centered around June 28. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.57°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.82°C. El Niño conditions have developed and will likely continue to strengthen through at least the summer.

The SOI was +16.68 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -0.528 today.

On July 4 the MJO was in Phase 2 at an amplitude of 1.642 (RMM). The July 3-adjusted amplitude was 1.607 (RMM).

3 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Agree. It currently looks like early June now to start July. Still need to be careful as this heat can dry things up quickly. I do think we get a good amount of rain Sunday evening 

• Like 2

All the ensembles and operational models today showing a major change in the pattern occurring over time over this week, next week, and beyond. Heights building in (WAR) from se to nw over time. Cold fronts from the nw being rendered impotent, stalling, washing out, maybe one day dewpoint relief, that's it. We are getting into a much hotter overall pattern favoring eventually an extended heatwave and the probability of summer 2023 ending up with over 15 90+ days, possibly double that number. We'll just have to wait watch and see how this unfolds but it appears the stranglehold of upper low pressure over the northwest Atlantic and eastern Canada on our overall pattern here in the northeast U.S. is about to be broken.

WX/PT

eps_z500_mslp_us_55.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

All the ensembles and operational models today showing a major change in the pattern occurring over time over this week, next week, and beyond. Heights building in (WAR) from se to nw over time. Cold fronts from the nw being rendered impotent, stalling, washing out, maybe one day dewpoint relief, that's it. We are getting into a much hotter overall pattern favoring eventually an extended heatwave and the probability of summer 2023 ending up with over 15 90+ days, possibly double that number. We'll just have to wait watch and see how this unfolds but it appears the stranglehold of upper low pressure over the northwest Atlantic and eastern Canada on our overall pattern here in the northeast U.S. is about to be broken.

WX/PT

eps_z500_mslp_us_55.png

Goodbye smoke, hello sweat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3