• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

52 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Went on a brief walk...it's really not bad out. Could it be warmer? Absolutely but my hands aren't even cold and they usually freeze. 

Just got back from a walk, You would have been wearing a Parker, Hat and gloves here with winds out of the north and 45°F.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I lived here for 10 years , I got some welcome back wanna catch up offers , but I’m here with baggage lol

Long ago, on our honeymoon, I was hit on by a cougar while pumping gas.   What makes it funny is that the woman didn't know that the wife was 15 feet away listening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Should be a much better day! Going to be a lovely evening going into Hartford for some playoff hockey and hoping the Wolf Pack can eliminate the Bruins and not have to go to Providence for a game 5. 

So you are a Bruins fans and you are hoping Providence gets eliminated???

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

So you are a Bruins fans and you are hoping Providence gets eliminated???

I'm a Boston Bruins fan, but Hartford Wolf Pack fan in the AHL. Been going to games there since they came to Hartford (although I didn't get to a game this season until Game 3 against Providence the other night). 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I'm a Boston Bruins fan, but Hartford Wolf Pack fan in the AHL. Been going to games there since they came to Hartford (although I didn't get to a game this season until Game 3 against Providence the other night). 

I would think you would want the Bruins prospects to play as much hockey as possible...

1 minute ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I would think you would want the Bruins prospects to play as much hockey as possible...

eh they've played enough this year. And I'm not sure Lysell or Lohrei are playing tonight. Lysell got knocked out of the game on a dirty hit up high and Lohrei got knocked out on a clean hit. But I'm sure there will be 3-4 players on Providence in Boston next season. 

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

Decent day on tap. 60 in view. 

It may take 3 hours or so for that vague clearing line that is presently running NW-SE from roughly Fryeburgh Maine to PWM to work SW across us down here.   Obviously ...sooner NE and longer SW.

This present (and hopefully last) axis as schmutz appears to be subtly convergent and as such we're getting some rotted cool strata light rain and/or or slate skies. Yuck.

This is not a-typical in the waning phases of a -NAO plagued back log constipation pattern, though.  The clearing that sort of 'symbolizes' the final flush out actually happens from the NE... and then rotates S and SE during the evening. But the clearing itself probably times mid day down here.  And it won't be clean either .. .There'll still be strata shit streaky streets and sun splashing cool air CU to remind you that this really is a Labradorian climate here, and we only accidentally get summer

Kidding on the ending point (a little :/ ) but you get the frustration...  

Not that anyone asked, but ... in my fantasy wealth echelon, I'm just today checking in on indexes and operational chart trends to plan my flight back after having fled for dear life over these last 6 weeks, to some non-extradition friendly warm haven .. heh.  This very predictable expose' on why living in this anal cavity region of the world is overrated at this time of year, was not ameliorated at all by synoptic warm burst a month ago - it only makes it that much worse...

But how do we really feel - hahaha

• Like 1

actually said sky breakage axis has penetrated faster than first glance... It's now over eastern NH and about to open PSM up to some sun.

I don't know about you guys, but this all seems a little more tolerable if it is not actually raining on May 5 at 45 F, and is sunny. It can be cool if it needs at this time of year, but correcting the sky from this to hot sun is like a whole nother scene in "Everything Everywhere"

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

actually said sky breakage axis has penetrated faster than first glance... It's now over eastern NH and about to open PSM up to some sun.

I don't know about you guys, but this all seems a little more tolerable if it is not actually raining on May 5 at 45 F, and is sunny. It can be cool if it needs at this time of year, but correcting the sky from this to hot sun is like a whole nother scene in "Everything Everywhere"

it was beautiful this morning, but the clouds have rolled back in with a beeze. Temp shot up to 55°, but feels chilly without the sun....should be a great weekend

21 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

it was beautiful this morning, but the clouds have rolled back in with a beeze. Temp shot up to 55°, but feels chilly without the sun....should be a great weekend

Yeah...  we hope -

the essence of the synoptic layout has persisted and likely to verify inside of 4-days lead, but there's still a wild card wrt to the cloud situation.

conventional wisdom based upon long years of experience in our climate tells us that a deep layer light NW flow bumping over the terrain N-W of the region, whilst weakly transporting warming air ( not CAA), ...should dry out a marginal scenario and favor more sun. But the recent Euro runs are not interested in that conventional wisdom, and keeps introducing these 70+RH streaks passing over the region on 18z both afternoons... That would mute some of the recovery ...

But that may also be greedy.  I mean, if we get partly sunny and 66 that'll be fine comparatively.

Otherwise, more sun winning beating out MOS by 3 or so F would be an easy assumption and it would mean a 10 F variance potential.

Sun!  Partly cloudy, at least.  Should make a run at 60. 
Ticks are awake and active - took a walk down the unmaintained road to look for possible washouts (none found) and never left the gravel though I had to push some leaning alders out of my way to avoid a deep puddle.  Had to yank one deer tick from just above the corner of my mouth and another from between pinkie and ring finger.  Also picked one off the dog; she's medicated so the little horrors wind up atop her fur for easy removal. 
Bleccch!

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Sun!  Partly cloudy, at least.  Should make a run at 60. 
Ticks are awake and active - took a walk down the unmaintained road to look for possible washouts (none found) and never left the gravel though I had to push some leaning alders out of my way to avoid a deep puddle.  Had to yank one deer tick from just above the corner of my mouth and another from between pinkie and ring finger.  Also picked one off the dog; she's medicated so the little horrors wind up atop her fur for easy removal. 
Bleccch!

Loop this: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-24-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

You can see a coherent deformation between cloud and much less cloud, pressing SW.

As I was mentioning earlier ... this/that is a pretty classic -NAO end game thing to see... clearing from the N-E as that index mode completes its success at [apparently] defying the law of celestial mechanics by moving in the wrong direction   :arrowhead:

kidding.. .but, we see some dramatic changes in that mode beginning now and taking into the ballast of the month ahead, so that type of impression of wrong-way movement is on the doorstop of vanquishing

57 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah...  we hope -

the essence of the synoptic layout has persisted and likely to verify inside of 4-days lead, but there's still a wild card wrt to the cloud situation.

conventional wisdom based upon long years of experience in our climate tells us that a deep layer light NW flow bumping over the terrain N-W of the region, whilst weakly transporting warming air ( not CAA), ...should dry out a marginal scenario and favor more sun. But the recent Euro runs are not interested in that conventional wisdom, and keeps introducing these 70+RH streaks passing over the region on 18z both afternoons... That would mute some of the recovery ...

But that may also be greedy.  I mean, if we get partly sunny and 66 that'll be fine comparatively.

Otherwise, more sun winning beating out MOS by 3 or so F would be an easy assumption and it would mean a 10 F variance potential.

yeah, despite the clouds and breeze, temp is up to 59° but the air has a different feel to it compared to the past week. Almost too warm for a hoodie, despite the lack of sun and temp. Makes for great outdoor work....