• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The falls on the Androscoggin River here is quite angry, Lot of flooding going on after the 4-6" of rain over the last few days along with the snow melt in the mountains.

the Merrimack down here is running pretty high. nothing crazy though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The falls on the Androscoggin River here is quite angry, Lot of flooding going on after the 4-6" of rain over the last few days along with the snow melt in the mountains.

Lots of damage throughout Western Maine. This exposed a lot of undersized infrastructure. Some culverts that were fixed after the December deluge washed out again. 

• Like 1

My road was "repaved" and had the drainage "improved" last fall. It's already undermined severely in multiple places, started in December. Maine DOT and municipalities need to wake up to the reality, instead it's just bang your head against a wall and build the same stuff over and over.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Lots of damage throughout Western Maine. This exposed a lot of undersized infrastructure. Some culverts that were fixed after the December deluge washed out again. 

People have commented on the debris from up river that is going over the falls, They've seen Tents, Tires, Ice Shacks and numerous trees, Some one i know had a vid of a tree that was 4' in circumference or so at the base that went over the falls and he said it sounded like thunder when it hit the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

People have commented on the debris from up river that is going over the falls, They've seen Tents, Tires, Ice Shacks and numerous tress, Some one i know had a vid of a tree that was 4' in circumference or so at the base that went over the falls and he said it sounded like thunder when it hit the bottom.

That's awesome. Some of the tribs around here are running close to Irene heights. I've never seen the Little Andro gauge above 3000 cfs but it broke it easily yesterday, almost hit 4000, and is still above 1000. 

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

People have commented on the debris from up river that is going over the falls, They've seen Tents, Tires, Ice Shacks and numerous tress, Some one i know had a vid of a tree that was 4' in circumference or so at the base that went over the falls and he said it sounded like thunder when it hit the bottom.

We love to hear and see the damage.

8 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

That's awesome. Some of the tribs around here are running close to Irene heights. I've never seen the Little Andro gauge above 3000 cfs but it broke it easily yesterday, almost hit 4000, and is still above 1000. 

ANDROSCOGGIN RIVER NEAR AUBURN - USGS 01059000

May 2, 2023, 5 a.m.

56,600 CFS Streamflow

+40,600 CFS (+254%) Today
Flooded Gage Height: 16 ft 393% of Normal

Friday, Apr 28, 08:15● Streamflow: 8 950.00cfs● Gage Height: 5.51ft                                      Discharge was last observed at 56,600 cfs, and a gage stage of 16 ft; Including the 254% increase since yesterday, the 10-day streamflow average is 15,312 cfs.

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Overall May looking like #noheat

There's still hope, though.  Mid month, based on signals emanating out of the Pacific/tropical dispersion stuff.   

I mean if that's your bag.  I don't personally want it "hot" - who does...  But folks should bear in mind, we had a signal similar to that a month ago, at the beginning of April ... And we ended up popping the 90 cherry two days back-to-back at some sites.

That was more of a 'synoptic heat burst' but ...they tend to nest in warming signals span of time.  That's a bit different than a wholesale warm pattern look, though.

The deal at mid month isn't fantasy - whether it emerges will come down to whether there are other forces compensating ..blah blah blah... 

At minimum ... it seems that this weekend is like graduating seasonal change to the next level.  We can certainly have days crumbled in this 55F cyclonic rubble ... all summer long in this POS summer climate up here.  But sans spanning a whole week, and just lowering frequency of this kind of shit seems to want to begin this weekend.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There's still hope, though.  Mid month, based on signals emanating out of the Pacific/tropical dispersion stuff.   

I mean if that's your bag.  I don't personally want it "hot" - who does...  But folks should bear in mind, we had a signal similar to that a month ago, at the beginning of April ... And we ended up popping the 90 cherry two days back-to-back at some sites.

That was more of a 'synoptic heat burst' but ...they tend to nest in warming signals span of time.  That's a bit different than a wholesale warm pattern look, though.

The deal at mid month isn't fantasy - whether it emerges will come down to whether there are other forces compensating ..blah blah blah... 

At minimum ... it seems that this weekend is like graduating seasonal change to the next level.  We can certainly have days crumbled in this 55F cyclonic rubble ... all summer long in this POS summer climate up here.  But sans spanning a whole week, and just lowering frequency of this kind of shit seems to want to begin this weekend.

She’s coming