Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ain't No Foolin'...Winter Is Over (never started) Wrap-Up And Review Thread

Cold Miser

4 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

F

Saving grace?  Next year can’t get any worse, right?

I didn't think this year could be worse than the last 3, but it was, I rate this a D-, two storms about 5 inches, a couple 1-2 inchers, a few dustings to an inch and one good cold snap. It wasn't super mild like 2011-12 and the pattern wasn't terrible, it just didn't produce so I didn't give it an F. 

• Like 1

Just now, weathafella said:

F.   It was an absolute ratter.  Maybe F+ thanks to the frigid Friday/Friday night resulting in the coldest here in 66 years-like when I was 10.

Ya know squirrels took a beating this past summer with the drought. Skinny as hell, no acorns small nut production. We should've known. I also haven't seen any chipmunks so far this year....

C- with 56.5".  Only 3 of my 20 measurable events were pure frozen.  No double-digit events, but I did hit a depth of 15" in early March.

PWM average 68.7" (1991-2020 Climo)

18/19 - 65.9"

19/20 - 58.9"

20/21 - 39.5"

21/22 - 44.1"

22/23 - 56.5"

Makes 5 years BN, with this year, 18/19, and 19/20 sniffing average.  I hear Ray say he's getting screwed and Steve say NNE stole his snow - fact is the picture hasn't been exactly pretty here in PWM the past 5 years.  I'm fine with this winter - about what I would expect - but this notion that NEMA is the only area getting shafted consistently the past 5 years is a bit of a misnomer.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ya know squirrels took a beating this past summer with the drought. Skinny as hell, no acorns small nut production. We should've known. I also haven't seen any chipmunks so far this year....

And now they’re fattening up.   Ironic. I also haven’t seen a munk and usually I see lots by now.   Have been smelling skunks on and off all winter.

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

C- with 56.5".  Only 3 of my 20 measurable events were pure frozen.  No double-digit events, but I did hit a depth of 15" in early March.

PWM average 68.7" (1991-2020 Climo)

18/19 - 65.9"

19/20 - 58.9"

20/21 - 39.5"

21/22 - 44.1"

22/23 - 56.5"

Makes 5 years BN, with this year, 18/19, and 19/20 sniffing average.  I hear Ray say he's getting screwed and Steve say NNE stole his snow - fact is the picture hasn't been exactly pretty here in PWM the past 5 years.  I'm fine with this winter - about what I would expect - but this notion that NEMA is the only area getting shafted consistently the past 5 years is a bit of a misnomer.

if you take a 5 year average of many spots , my guess is many areas Average over that period is significantly below on a % basis 

I would think Cape Ann Is near the top 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

if you take a 5 year average of many spots , my guess is many areas Average over that period is significantly below on a % basis 

Even with 2 AN winters in the last 5, we're BN for the period, but 93% of average isn't a significant departure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep, no squirrels or chipmunks so far.  Seen the local rabbit out in the backyard the past few nights though.

17 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

i was right at average this year (~72")

over the last 5 years I averaged 61", which is ~85% of normal.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I see tons of squirrels but no chippies, I thought it was because of the cat but maybe not. I've seen and smelled quite a few skunks like Jerry said. I wonder if the warmer weather made them more active.

Squirrels were very active in Methuen all winter long.  I have 2 squirrels that demand the bird feeders get filled. 

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Where are you ...And what’s your elevation . Bc I know MHT didn’t have 72” but burbs had much more W or N 

3 hours ago, wx2fish said:

@NHDrySlot also got 72" in Bedford at 500ft. Hell of a gradient around MHT. Airport was low to mid 50s last time I checked

yeah I’m just west of MHT at around 500’

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:12 AM, codfishsnowman said:

D plus

Half of normal snowfall which is becoming the new short term average....

Minus ten and windy one day

One 6 inch event

Have seen worse, typical 80s style winter just warmer

I was looking for something on the Winter here, and I stumbled upon some article about the lack of winter in new england this year. Some climatologist from southern New Hampshire said the cold snowy winters and Winter landscapes she grew up with in the 1980s are a thing of the past. It's unreal how people straight up default to the heavy snow of their youth even if it's a flat-out lie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I was looking for something on the Winter here, and I stumbled upon some article about the lack of winter in new england this year. Some climatologist from southern New Hampshire said the cold snowy winters and Winter landscapes she grew up with in the 1980s are a thing of the past. It's unreal how people straight up default to the heavy snow of their youth even if it's a flat-out lie.

Southern New England.  Other than the coast, NNE did well despite the lack of consistent cold.  However, memory tends to recall the big snows more than the ugly winters, sometimes justifiable.  From March 1956 thru Feb 1961 our NNJ home had 7 storms with 18-24", the final one (Feb 3-4, 1961) dumping at least 24 - gusts pas 50 made measuring a guess - on top of the 25-30" pack.  Friend and I tried wading into the woods.  :wacko2:   I was 5'8" then, snow came above my navel and my boots were on packed snow not ground.  100 yards of that was more an enough to reveal our foolishness.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Southern New England.  Other than the coast, NNE did well despite the lack of consistent cold.  However, memory tends to recall the big snows more than the ugly winters, sometimes justifiable.  From March 1956 thru Feb 1961 our NNJ home had 7 storms with 18-24", the final one (Feb 3-4, 1961) dumping at least 24 - gusts pas 50 made measuring a guess - on top of the 25-30" pack.  Friend and I tried wading into the woods.  :wacko2:   I was 5'8" then, snow came above my navel and my boots were on packed snow not ground.  100 yards of that was more an enough to reveal our foolishness.

I was more astounded how this "expert" made such a blanket statement based on one crap Winter when crap winters have happened all thru history and Boston is not far removed from record snow years. I even looked it up. Several sub-20" winters in the 1980s and a 100"+ winter 8 years ago. OK expert lol.

It was kind of that way in the midwest and great lakes as well this season. A gradient. The southern midwest had very little snow but the upper midwest had record snow in Minnesota. Grand Rapids, MI had their 3rd snowiest winter on record but snow cover was well below average. We sat right on the cusp in the Detroit area, with Detroit (37.0") finishing 8" below avg. We had several storms with blinding snow, thundersnow/ice, and multiple scenic snows, but it was a bad year for consistent snow cover and cold. Not far south of us into ohio was a really low snow year. I give this winter a C- locally. Excellent christmas week weather and some fun storms Jan-Mar but the lack of sustained cold, white landscape, and ice on the lakes was a downer.

It was a good season for winter photography due to the scenic wet snows and ice storms, but definitely hoping for more powder next year.

Screenshot_20230405_010729_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3