12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Observations Christmas Day Storm and Beyond

phil882

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just measured 2.75" here in Dahlonega. I was plagued with the dreaded above freezing temps all day long. Guess i can't complain of getting that much on christmas day but man it could have been so much more. Just like March earlier this year. Snow all day long with temps above freezing.

Just wanted to take this moment to mention that 97 (of 100 total) counties in NC are under a Winter Storm Warning right now. Don’t think I’ve ever seen that before.

Yea I was laughing at that earlier. Almost the same situation with SC, too. Both states are virtually pink.

Well it looks like my bust streak continues for another storm. .......:arrowhead:

I have lived in Greenville for 21 years and I have yet to see more that 3" on the ground here from one storm......true story.

Over the years I have seen it snow in Greenwood, Atlanta, Columbia.......of course Asheville, Charlotte, Hickory, etc, but not in the snow hole in my back yard. One day I believe the jinx will end and from that point forward I get my far share and more. That day is not today.

Had some nice snow showers, stuck a little on the grass, cars, and roofs. Nothing on the pavement.

Well I need to rest up so I can start following the next one. Good thing the chase is part of the fun.....:thumbsup:

Congrats to all of you who were able to cash in. Merry Christmas.,,,,,:snowman:

I have lived in Greenville for 21 years and I have yet to see more that 3" on the ground here from one storm......true story.

How much did you see in March 1993 then? :arrowhead: I got 13 inches at my house in Greenville during that storm. Oh and a little over an inch on the ground here right now with moderate snow coming down.

Just measured 2.75" here in Dahlonega. I was plagued with the dreaded above freezing temps all day long. Guess i can't complain of getting that much on christmas day but man it could have been so much more. Just like March earlier this year. Snow all day long with temps above freezing.

Well you could have been me and see a lot of rain for hours wondering what could have been if it was snow :arrowhead: As usual, cold air in the low levels had a very hard time getting into my area. The rain/snow line followed the 925mb 0c line almost perfectly all afternoon. And ruc showed the usual delay here with the subfreezing temps at that level making it here. It sucks knowing you have -2 to -3c 850mb temps in late december and still can manage to get a good bit of rain here. Larry's rule about 850mb temps which usually work in most places, but always fails for me :(

I'm trying to make up for it though. I'm under a pretty respectable area of moderate snow..and at times I would consider it borderline heavy. Considering how wet the ground is, and the rather warm temps today here, it's always impressive to see the snow quickly start sticking at night. A few moments ago I had a dusting now I'm working on a half inch. You can see here the band I'm in, it extends from athens southwest.

Unfortunately the back edge isn't far away. I'm hoping this slows down a little bit as our system phases and the upper low dives south. But I would suspect we see a temporary break in the snow before more redevelops later tonight/tomorrow morning for eastern ga and the upstate. Not sure how heavy it will be...gfs shows up to another 0.10 which isn't a lot but am hopeful it won't take much with such cold temps in the mid levels by morning.

JGX_loop.gif

How much did you see in March 1993 then? :arrowhead: I got 13 inches at my house in Greenville during that storm. Oh and a little over an inch on the ground here right now with moderate snow coming down.

I only got a little over 3 inches in Walhalla,SC from that storm. I definitely don't remember Greenville getting 13 inches unless you lived in up close to the mountains.

Archived