amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Observations Christmas Day Storm and Beyond

phil882

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only got a little over 3 inches in Walhalla,SC from that storm. I definitely don't remember Greenville getting 13 inches unless you lived in up close to the mountains.

Yeah.....I'm in downtown Greenville....there have been storms where Simpsonville has gotten 6 plus inches and we've gotten a dusting. We've literly had snow all around us N, S, E and W for various storms and we bust........The only one I really remember that we exceed forecast was the dreaded ice storm in 2005.....:arrowhead:

sorry for those who didnt get any snow :( i feel sort of bad as we are doing really well here. over 4" and still snowing, so i will probably end up between 4-5". as for all that that fell before accumulating, it was still nice to see heavy snow during the day time for several hours :snowman: its a true winter wonderland with snow on everything, including the trees. limbs are bending noticeably, but not all that bad. still not too cold (but cold enough :bike: ) at 30.6

i hope we can get one more batch/band but i dunno. honestly i havent even looked at any models today, just watched the wx :thumbsup:

Just went outside to "Try" and get a proper measurement, but seems pretty impossible to me. I keep coming up with 4" - 4.5" in everywhere i checked, I was measuring 3" 3 hours ago.. so im guessing alot compacted. It definitely seems like alot more snow than what is measured.

I'll have to wait for an official measurement here in the county.

Same here, I measured 4 inches hours ago just went and measured again 5. I would have sworn it would be 6-7 inches. If it had been colder today it's snowed enough to have 8-10 inches

Yeah...mother nature has been smiling down on Asheville and the North Carolina Mountains/Foothills for the past year-plus. I believe today's event already puts KAVL at or around the seasonal snowfall average.

I missed most of last years snow since i was at college in Norfolk, timing was perfect for me!!! Snow on my break at home... Anywho the back edge is almost here but its still snowing pretty heavy... most accurate measure I can get is 7 inches, how about you dan?

I'm really kinda shocked you guys have had such trouble with boundary layer temps. reminds me of the march storm where foothillsnc had like 10 inches. we had sleet for 4 hours while he got dumped on. i think our area stays in snow through 4 am. the winds are switching more southeasterly right now, so perhaps we can see a nice band setup over the foothills.

I'm paying dearly for that storm now.

Looks like Ga and NC will wear out ol SC this go round, or should i say again. Atlanta's yearly snowfall has whipped mine over the last 5 years!

No more sulking for me.

Ya'll have fun in your snow and take some good pictures...be careful and be thankful you didn't get the screw....my 11yr old is devastated!!!!!!!!:devilsmiley:

I understand where you're coming from. If it wasn't for the freak March 09 event, I'd be in a serious snow drought.

Well it looks like my bust streak continues for another storm. .......:arrowhead:

I have lived in Greenville for 21 years and I have yet to see more that 3" on the ground here from one storm......true story.

Over the years I have seen it snow in Greenwood, Atlanta, Columbia.......of course Asheville, Charlotte, Hickory, etc, but not in the snow hole in my back yard. One day I believe the jinx will end and from that point forward I get my far share and more. That day is not today.

Had some nice snow showers, stuck a little on the grass, cars, and roofs. Nothing on the pavement.

Well I need to rest up so I can start following the next one. Good thing the chase is part of the fun.....:thumbsup:

Congrats to all of you who were able to cash in. Merry Christmas.,,,,,:snowman:

Thats got to be rough. I have lucked up a couple more times than you, by a razor's margin. There's something about living between my area and the Upstate that is at work here-- even in the Winter!

The Upstate/N.C. Piedmont Precip Donut Hole From Hell is alive and well.

I just got in from a drive on 74 to Lattimore. They had 2" . It drops considerably when you get southeast of Shelby. I just measured 1/2" on all the railings. I'm right at 32. Its just not cold enough to stick good, and I'm very disappointed in the size of the flakes here. They have yet to get large at all...very small to average size flakes, nothing large and clumpy at all. I am really surprised, I thought this would be a moderate snow event here, but its just not working out yet. Haven't checked any radars yet, but the temp is stuck at 32.2 at my house (31 airport). Pretty big difference between the Rutherford line and here. I'm wondering if I will make the 1" mark.

But atleast its Christmas and snow on that day is rare. Congratulations to the big winners are measuring up some good amounts today and tonight.

Weird sidelight to this storm. A jewelery store in Wilmington, Perry's Emporium, had a promotion. If you bought any jewelery between black Friday and Dec, 11 and it snowed a confirmed 3" or more in Asheville on Christmas day your purchase would be free.

OOPS!!!!!

Estimated fail: $400,000 to $500,000

http://www.wwaytv3.c...-400000/12/2010

http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=13731511

I missed most of last years snow since i was at college in Norfolk, timing was perfect for me!!! Snow on my break at home... Anywho the back edge is almost here but its still snowing pretty heavy... most accurate measure I can get is 7 inches, how about you dan?

To be honest, I really haven't been outside to measure. After staying up the last two nights and having a quick family get together late this morning, I've been catching a nap here and there and just enjoying the scene. That said, I wouldn't doubt that 7 inch total. Seems like this dry snow is piling up pretty good on the paste from earlier today.

sorry for those who didnt get any snow :( i feel sort of bad as we are doing really well here. over 4" and still snowing, so i will probably end up between 4-5". as for all that that fell before accumulating, it was still nice to see heavy snow during the day time for several hours :snowman: its a true winter wonderland with snow on everything, including the trees. limbs are bending noticeably, but not all that bad. still not too cold (but cold enough :bike: ) at 30.6

i hope we can get one more batch/band but i dunno. honestly i havent even looked at any models today, just watched the wx :thumbsup:

Same here, no model watching, only snow watching. I still only measure 4 inches but a good bit melted. My understanding from FFC is maybe another inch here. Will be very cold taking more pics Sun.

Weaverville obs 29.1 still Snowing Just got back inside & I am at 7&7/8 on the measure board. We just got our power back after about an hour without it. In the last 10 min. the wind has started to blow for the first time today. I have yet to see a flake today over dime size & most have been pea size or smaller.

Yeah that rn/sn line has to be going through Moore County soon I would think.

Yeah, temps down to 41 here. It should start dropping pretty rapidly soon, i hope! Would be a treat to get the snow before midnight to up the eventual totals. Hopefully the def. band is north to south and we both get crushed in itSnowman.gif

Archived