• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Observations Christmas Day Storm and Beyond

phil882

Just shy of 7 inches here north of hickory. Light to moderate snow continues. lol been a great day!:snowman:

:thumbsup: to those in nc still waiting, fwiw, the storm has performed pretty much like foothills, etc were talking about and the models were showing (for the most part, of course). they missed the temp by like .5 for a couple of hours but otherwise its been snowing like a bandit here all day long (since 1030ish)

this system has more than performed in this area, so far. the 2" total is nothing compared to whats fallen...i'd guestimate 3" or so...even though it took ages to stick, we've still had a ton of snow today

hopefully this will move towards yall and you will get in on the action - i have my fingers crossed!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost 7 o'clock update here in Brevard gives us a storm total of almost 7 inches! And the snow is still falling.

We had huge flakes and an inch an hour totals for most of the morning and early afternoon. Then, we went to smaller flakes and light showers from 2 until 5:30 or so. And now, we're back to the good stuff.

And it's chilly...31 and falling.

I'm concerned because the power is doing that fun flickering/dimming thing. The trees are just so full of this thick wet snow!

Let's just hope the power stays on in spite of all of this snow.

It wasnt supposed to make the transition to snow until around midnight right? Our low is just getting into florida isnt it?

Yeah it will take awhile. I was hoping to see some snow before Christmas was officially over. Either way I am not greedy I will take 3" :).

:thumbsup: to those in nc still waiting, fwiw, the storm has performed pretty much like foothills, etc were talking about and the models were showing (for the most part, of course). they missed the temp by like .5 for a couple of hours but otherwise its been snowing like a bandit here all day long (since 1030ish)

this system has more than performed in this area, so far. the 2" total is nothing compared to whats fallen...i'd guestimate 3" or so...even though it took ages to stick, we've still had a ton of snow today

hopefully this will move towards yall and you will get in on the action - i have my fingers crossed!

Yea I'm now starting to get impatient here in CLT seems everyone west and north is now switching over to snow.....seeing a stray flake here and there but it's hard to tell to be honest.

Best of the evening and the biggest flakes I've seen in years now. We have a dusting...keep it up :weight_lift:

I think it's funny when other people talk about snowshields and getting screwed, when we both know that Oconee/Pickens is the only place that really does get screwed year in and year out for the last 20 years.

At least we're getting a little bit I guess...

Looks like some snowy stuff mixing in. Don't lose hope!

I think it's just that the drop sizes aren't that big so they float around easier. It feels warm out too. Not only that, but the green bands keep wanting to stay to the south and east. This is the part where Raleigh to RWI gets creamed and we get an inch.

I think it's just that the drop sizes aren't that big so they float around easier. It feels warm out too. Not only that, but the green bands keep wanting to stay to the south and east. This is the part where Raleigh to RWI gets creamed and we get an inch.

One fell on my jacket and it sure looked like a snowflake.

We'll get way more than an inch. NWS saying Lexington to us to Roanoke Rapids sees 6-8"

I think it's funny when other people talk about snowshields and getting screwed, when we both know that Oconee/Pickens is the only place that really does get screwed year in and year out for the last 20 years.

At least we're getting a little bit I guess...

You got that right...2nd winter storm warning in 2 years without an inch....yet

We may squeeze out an inch. Let's face it, without some sort of CAD we will always be stuck with a warm nose up here! And CAD's don't exist anymore it seems.

Merry Christmas Burrel BTW!

Yeah it will take awhile. I was hoping to see some snow before Christmas was officially over. Either way I am not greedy I will take 3" :).

Me thinks you will be double or triple happy then by tommorrow afternoon.....coastal looks to really bomb out gonna be one of those storms that if it can overperform is gonna drop some jaw dropping totals somewhere in NC. If we can only get it to slow down and take a extra 6 hrs heading up the coast.....

joel get off the computer for a little while. merry christmas! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Also I've noticed the temp has dropped rapidly within the hour. This station is down the street from me at a neighbor's house:

scDRG.gif

A good pic is hard to get when it's so dark, only have one street light. Recorded a 720p/60fps vid though as well...

R3iu6.jpg

Here is a good link to keep track of current power outages in Western NC. I have noticed the number has more than doubled in the past couple of hours so this could become a more widespread problem overnight. http://www.duke-energy.com/north-carolina/outages/current.asp#outagedata

Currently I have moderate snow with 2.5" so far. Temp is 30.3

You got that right...2nd winter storm warning in 2 years without an inch....yet

We may squeeze out an inch. Let's face it, without some sort of CAD we will always be stuck with a warm nose up here! And CAD's don't exist anymore it seems.

Merry Christmas Burrel BTW!

Perfectly said about the CAD. Without it no matter what the models say it WILL NOT SNOW here in upstate SC. At least not enough to matter. Cold air chasing moisture never works out.

Just shy of 7 inches here north of hickory. Light to moderate snow continues. lol been a great day!:snowman:

Are you in Catawba or Alexander county? I'm in Bethlehem, and only have around 5 inches, though the radar has looked a little more impressive just to my south all day.

I've gone outside like 5 times and it hasn't even started snowing yet.

It's not snowing yet 2 miles from me at my friends apartment in brier creek, which is also located right outside RDU, so don't let it get to you...the p-type is quite strange with this storm.

For those of you who are interested,

POSTED PIC OF RDU SNOW ON PREVIOUS PAGE!

Are you in Catawba or Alexander county? I'm in Bethlehem, and only have around 5 inches, though the radar has looked a little more impressive just to my south all day.

catawba near lake hickory. talked to my uncle and he has measured 7 inches a little south of me. that's probably about what we have now. right around 7. it has slacked up a bit in the last 30 minutes.

Only 3/4 of an inch here in Shelby. Radar faded for about 20 minutes, but counting on those heavier returns to my south to make it in here -- haven't really had anything other than light snow all day. Temperature 31.1.

Need to get to an OFFICIAL White Christmas!!!

catawba near lake hickory. talked to my uncle and he has measured 7 inches a little south of me. that's probably about what we have now. right around 7. it has slacked up a bit in the last 30 minutes.

Archived