• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Observations Christmas Day Storm and Beyond

phil882

When did the snow start in Asheboro? I know there was a sharp cutoff line right near the county line. It's snowed here right from the start at 11:30 AM or so.

Don't know about Asheboro. Changed over here a little after 6pm.

The county line runs through my yard. Same amount of snow on either side. :guitar:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm paying dearly for that storm now.

I just got in from a drive on 74 to Lattimore. They had 2" . It drops considerably when you get southeast of Shelby. I just measured 1/2" on all the railings. I'm right at 32. Its just not cold enough to stick good, and I'm very disappointed in the size of the flakes here. They have yet to get large at all...very small to average size flakes, nothing large and clumpy at all. I am really surprised, I thought this would be a moderate snow event here, but its just not working out yet. Haven't checked any radars yet, but the temp is stuck at 32.2 at my house (31 airport). Pretty big difference between the Rutherford line and here. I'm wondering if I will make the 1" mark.

But atleast its Christmas and snow on that day is rare. Congratulations to the big winners are measuring up some good amounts today and tonight.

You really think we won't get an inch tonight? What's your reasoning on that? Or were you just being facetious?

8 inches. Despite the poor looking radar, it is still falling.

thats good, you're overperforming. I'm not doing so good here. I may take a couple pics in a minute, but I'm doubtful I even have a HALF inch, maybe. The radar confirms, its just so light here. It was moderate once on my drive, but for the most part the flakes are tiny and few and far between. If the heavier echoes don't get to me tonight, I'm doubtful I'll reach the one inch mark. It wont' with what I've got now because its been like this the last 2 hours or so. The holes keep re-appearing over me and the Upstate. This storm brings back memories of the Jan storm last year , where the axis of good snow set up just to my immediate north , and hung there all night, and when precip finally arrived, it was sleet (and not much of that) . We just can't seem to get a good precipitation event in here for nothing anymore, unless its an El Nino Winter.

post-38-0-76259700-1293328229.gif

You really think we won't get an inch tonight? What's your reasoning on that? Or were you just being facetious?

my area. I really jus got in and am looking at stuff. The radar doesn't look good for me, but didn't really look your way much. Right now, I have zilch again. It keeps stopping. Occasionally it picks up again, and gets smaller flakes each time, like a salt shaker almost. This might make 3 years, and 3 storms that places in Georgia (Atlanta area) and places east of me have gotten way more snow than here. Weird. But it keeps happening. I'm going to take a pic of what I got before it melts from underneath. My temp is holding at 32.2 and theres constant slow melting. I hope you get dumped on, you spent way too many nights up late.

thats good, you're overperforming. I'm not doing so good here. I may take a couple pics in a minute, but I'm doubtful I even have a HALF inch, maybe. The radar confirms, its just so light here. It was moderate once on my drive, but for the most part the flakes are tiny and few and far between. If the heavier echoes don't get to me tonight, I'm doubtful I'll reach the one inch mark. It wont' with what I've got now because its been like this the last 2 hours or so. The holes keep re-appearing over me and the Upstate. This storm brings back memories of the Jan storm last year , where the axis of good snow set up just to my immediate north , and hung there all night, and when precip finally arrived, it was sleet (and not much of that) . We just can't seem to get a good precipitation event in here for nothing anymore, unless its an El Nino Winter.

post-38-0-76259700-1293328229.gif

I am rooting for you, if you don't do it with this one you will with another. thanks again for all of your great knowledge and input. Merry Christmas.:snowman:

Weird sidelight to this storm. A jewelery store in Wilmington, Perry's Emporium, had a promotion. If you bought any jewelery between black Friday and Dec, 11 and it snowed a confirmed 3" or more in Asheville on Christmas day your purchase would be free.

OOPS!!!!!

Estimated fail: $400,000 to $500,000

http://www.wwaytv3.c...-400000/12/2010

http://www.wect.com/....asp?S=13731511

He has a killer insurance policy, so they are the ones who loose big time, Thats a common marketing practice, There are a couple of insurance companies that speacil in these type of promotions.

I'm guessing we're pushing close to 2" here...secondary roads are becoming snow covered

wow Jeremy, good deal.

so much for a nice snow here, got screwed again as always :gun_bandana:

Thought you lived in the upper part of the County? Whats your total? I think I saw Skip had almost 1", but not sure. Either way, just got back from 74 and south Shelby and was not impressed at all. And they have more than I do for sure.:axe:

wow Jeremy, good deal.

Thought you lived in the upper part of the County? Whats your total? I think I saw Skip had almost 1", but not sure. Either way, just got back from 74 and south Shelby and was not impressed at all. And they have more than I do for sure.:axe:

I live south of 74 towards Patterson Springs. I have at most a 1/2" While the upper part of the county and everywhere W, N, and E have or will get more. :axe:

sorry for those who didnt get any snow :( i feel sort of bad as we are doing really well here. over 4" and still snowing, so i will probably end up between 4-5". as for all that that fell before accumulating, it was still nice to see heavy snow during the day time for several hours :snowman: its a true winter wonderland with snow on everything, including the trees. limbs are bending noticeably, but not all that bad. still not too cold (but cold enough :bike: ) at 30.6

i hope we can get one more batch/band but i dunno. honestly i havent even looked at any models today, just watched the wx :thumbsup:

As usual...you end up with more than me. LOL...congrats!

Same here, no model watching, only snow watching. I still only measure 4 inches but a good bit melted. My understanding from FFC is maybe another inch here. Will be very cold taking more pics Sun.

Awesome! December to remember for you here in GA.

Started snowing just after noon here 4 mis north of Kernersville, NC with temp at 41 degrees. That seemed odd but temp dropped quickly to 33.3. Currently 32.0 and just measured 4 3/4" in back yard. Snow pretty much light for first two hours then picked up in intensity to a good average steady medium snowfall. Stayed that way til about 7:30 when it dropped back to a strong steady light snow.

Check out my temp and wind graph in my signature. I think this is what screwed up my accumulations today.

At 9am I was sitting pretty at 34. Then the virga rolled in and all of a sudden it gets very windy with 25 mph gusts which stirs up my boundary layer and my temp jumps to over 38. So I had to cool down from 38 at start and never made it to freezing. IDK...maybe I'm not looking at this correct but if the precip would have started with my calm winds and a temp of 34...who knows....

Archived