Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It is funny how nature knows and gives signals . When the peepers (or poopers) come out.. it is natures signal that winter is over.. regardless of what the latest weeklies run says . They’re not going to come out knowing a frigid , snowy period is coming . It’s pretty simple to see what’s coming 

that's not how it works. 

peepers have brains the size of the head of a pin. they can't see anything coming. But what happens is they come out when the ice melts and the water/mud warms up a bit. nothing predictive about that. I have had peepers in my yard come out only to have more snow and cold-it happens almost every year. they don't know shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s started abruptly So definitely not heat island. Not that it doesn’t have an influence, but it was an abrupt change. 

MADIS would catch all of that too…because it’s not that BOS might be warmer than some surrounding mesonets, it’s that the delta between them abruptly got much wider. So if the baseline is usually like BOS +1, it went to BOS +4 within like a month or or two. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

that's not how it works. 

peepers have brains the size of the head of a pin. they can't see anything coming. But what happens is they come out when the ice melts and the water/mud warms up a bit. nothing predictive about that. I have had peepers in my yard come out only to have more snow and cold-it happens almost every year. they don't know shit.

Ha that was what I was trying to say last night.  They are a result of past environmental conditions, not a predictor of future conditions.  Most things are like that.  Flowers come up because it’s been warm enough to get the soil temp up, not that the flowers know it won’t get cold again, ha.

• Like 2

As though this were late March ... huge bust potential late next week.

The 00z Euro and GFS on either side of the low level cold wedge - although the GFS' attempt at a meso low in the bay (00z) is at least a nod to the notion of some damming... Those two solutions for that mess are pretty wildly disparate over all.

Then the 06z GFS comes out with a southward correction ...not quite as far as the Euro's ice storm implication ( with 2" of IP from RUT to MHT), but significant enough to consider...

Very complex scenario unfolds where you have two higher confidence major factors controlling, but the type of weather that occurs between them is compressed into a very narrow conduit separate their two different worlds.  Those two features are the SPV that's over James Bay ( down to 480 dm!), and the -PNA(SE ridge).  They're leaning on each other and imperceptible oscillations in that sumo shoving match means 61 F or 31F across maybe 70 mi, from N OH to S NH as a mean axis between the Euro and GFS ( blended guess).

There are competing 'correction vectors' in this...but I still tend to lean colder due to many decades of experiencing late winter and spring cold loading across SE Canada. I don't have formal numbers but a pig load of experience ...the cold wins ( usually..). 

I was mentioning to John last night that I suspected the 12z Euro solution yesterday was about as far N as this mess could ultimately get before being forced east. The PV acts like an inverted block.. The 00z coming in suppressed seems to odd in favor of cold winning.  If the ridge needs to win out that much...it's less likely to mean big snow event up the St Lar...and more likely to mean this shears to lower impact in general...

Cold winning doesn't have to mean snow/mix/ice..., but I'm not sure I'm buying 60 intrusion to ALB like some of the recent cycles of the GFS was selling..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sorry bruh, been there too many times…best wishes to you guys on the other side. 

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Shit man sorry to hear. :( 

Thanks...Its gonna be a rough couple months, hard to watch the kids go through it on top of it. Way too young, not even 7 years old yet.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Heights start rising over the SE and we sort of lose the 50/50 near the end. We need that to stay. 

916BD386-1825-4541-8B43-1BF37B4D5944.png

I’m not sure how “real” that SE ridge on the mean is. most of the members that do have a legit SE ridge have no blocking. I think it might be skewing things a bit

a few members link the block and the SE ridge, but most force a big 50/50 or a trough over the EC… basically the classic response to a west based block

F48BE55C-B4F5-49F6-A5F1-C9F67104F210.thumb.gif.a4ffd7bb68772221815c336086f4f749.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Just a simple case of Shit The Bed then...

Yep. I’m guessing that’s what happened with ORH too but they prob won’t replace it until it’s at least 3F too warm. Right now it’s kind of somewhere around 2F to 3F. We discussed earlier in the cold shot thread, but the margin they give these things is obscene….2F in either direction. That sounds like insanity to me for a first order climate site, but here we are. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I’m not sure how “real” that SE ridge on the mean is. most of the members that do have a legit SE ridge have no blocking. I think it might be skewing things a bit

a few members link the block and the SE ridge, but most force a big 50/50 or a trough over the EC… basically the classic response to a west based block

F48BE55C-B4F5-49F6-A5F1-C9F67104F210.thumb.gif.a4ffd7bb68772221815c336086f4f749.gif

It’s just something to watch. If we lose any confluence it’s over.  There is no stopping the tendencies out west. 

• Like 1