Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

But we were still basking in the afterglow of 2014-2015 (well, most of the board was)

That’s what made it worse up here, ha.

It does matter though… you get a record winter, the next like three feel like gravy and you take your licks.

2011-12 was like that after 2010-11 too.  Shit winters stomach easier after huge ones.

• Like 1

15/16 at least here had a decent Jan and Feb event. It was going into the crapper, until the two events in early April happened. Ended up with a respectable total. I know it was brutal western MA and up into NNE. That's when PF was talking to the mtn Gods alone on the Stowe bike path.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

15/16 at least here had a decent Jan and Feb event. It was going into the crapper, until the two events in early April happened. Ended up with a respectable total. I know it was brutal western MA and up into NNE. That's when PF was talking to the mtn Gods alone on the Stowe bike path.

Yeah and we didn't have the 2015 blitz to warm our souls either.  You guys were still scoring some decent events despite the poor winter overall, only a couple decent events make quite a dent in annual percentages down that way (which makes this year more amazing almost).  I remember some 8-15" type events that winter... wasn't there a deform band across CT up I84 in one of those?

I truly think crap winters are so much mentally easier to take when it comes off a great snow year.  It feels like well, we had our fun now I guess regression is it.  Almost the same with a big first half of winter... even if the second half is a dud and rat from then on out, it's so much easier to come to terms with.  Oh well, we got ours, it is what it is.  But a crap winter after a few tough winters is infuriating.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Not close to this abomination-so far.

Funny thing is if we assume BOS gets no additional measurable snowfall through end of January, this winter would "only" rank 15th for least snow through 1/31.

2006-2007 has the top spot....but other notables are 1988-1989, 2018-2019 (this one was surprising, but BOS did well in Feb/Mar that year), 1994-1995, and 1979-1980.

2011-2012 would actually rank 16th behind this year....

Just now, radarman said:

Just depends on where I guess.  I'm at 18.5" to date this year.  I was at 4.25" through 2/5/16.

Lack of cold too is pretty awful this year....esp for January. December 2015 was an epic furnace, but at least January was within shouting distance of seasonal (like +2 on temps)....unlike this year where we're gonna finish top 5 warmest. 

For snow though....yeah, 2015-16 was worse to this point up in the pike region...southern half of CT though caught the northern chunk of the blizzard while we had a few inches of arctic sand.

• Like 1

15-16 takes the cake as ratters for mby at 27.5", 06-07, 18-19, &19-20 were all under 50" here, and from all the data I collected from this area, and thanks Will for the help acquiring more data, the avg here is 78" give or take...my average since moving here in 2013 is 74, but that's been going downward since 14-15... I'm at just over 10" season to date, so need a really strong finish to get to close to climo, don't see that happening with 1-3" events sprinkling in between raining cutters or fish food... fortunately I'm on my way south now so you'll probably get a KU as I'm gone.