Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

52 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I like CBN so while I haven’t had that one in the pic specifically, you can’t go wrong. CBN has more powerful relaxing properties than CBD, if that’s what you’re looking for.

I got a jar of gummies a guest left behind at a property. They have cbd, cbn, and something called delta-8. It says 10mg of each per gummie. I took one before bed a few nights ago. Learned that taking a fully gummy was way too strong. I felt like instead of my body being on top of the bed, I sunk through the the mattress. Weird weird weird. Now I cut them in half. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

18z gfs has .28 precip for a 16 day total thru feb 10. If nothing else can be gleaned from the long range OP it seems less active Is a potential issue 

With the GFS showing Montreal hitting an all-time low of -40F next Friday, it's no surprise we will be less active with that cold pushing down, even if it turns out to be fleeting.  Montreal's all-time low is -29F.

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I like CBN so while I haven’t had that one in the pic specifically, you can’t go wrong. CBN has more powerful relaxing properties than CBD, if that’s what you’re looking for.

Cheebas seem to work well for me.

Enjoy a 2:1 THC : CBN ratio in our original chocolate taffy chews, enhanced by approximately 2mg of melatonin. Each package comes with twenty individual pieces, dosed with 5mg of THC and 2.5mg of CBN

• Like 1

Gotta admit, this may very well be a rat. I'm starting to lean that way more with each passing week. Although the mean composite was decent, I had years like 2001 and 1998 double weighted due to how good of a match they were to 2022. 2011 was in there, but not double weighted....

May need to reevaluate how I interpret those sensible weather analogs...was my first time using it, so I just went with the mean composite.

10 hours ago, weathafella said:

The thing is, of all the winters that finished strongly, show me a total ratter throughout all of January.  2018 had a torchy latter part of February but deep cold and some good snow in December and early January.   I can’t bring up any outside of 2006-07 which was a nino.

Do you mean just in terms of snowfall? The December pattern was pretty good this year.....we just whiffed. That's what makes it tricky....It wasn't like 12/98, 12/99, 12/01 or 12/11.

Just now, dryslot said:

Yes, That was what i thought was going to happen when we end up with cold over the top of us, Glad we had these last 3 snow storms up here, But now we do need some cold, Been pretty much non exsistant.

See if modeling is overplaying the cold press but as of right now it's looking MEH

• Like 1

Looks like raindance has the best outlook IMO....had like +5 along the east coast and explicitly mentioned that storms in the east would lack cold air. Kind of right for the wrong reason with respect to December, though, as he had a +AO/NAO.

I think we can put to rest that silly accustion about me copying his outlooks, though. :lol:

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks like raindance has the best outlook IMO....had like +5 along the east coast and explicitly mentioned that storms in the east would lack cold air. Kind of right for the wrong reason with respect to December, though, as he had a +AO/NAO.

I think we can put to rest that silly accustion about me copying his outlooks, though. :lol:

His forecast was pretty spot on actually but like you said for the wrong reasons. 

At least things can only go up from here next winter. So far it's in the top 3 for futility for me (lack of snow + warmth)

If I don't get any snow this winter and given how warm Feb will turn it'll easily be #1 in futility. 

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

His forecast was pretty spot on actually but like you said for the wrong reasons. 

At least things can only go up from here next winter. So far it's in the top 3 for futility for me (lack of snow + warmth)

If we don't get any snow this winter and given how warm Feb will turn it'll easily be #1 in futility. 

His is kind of like my first outlook in 2014-2015....I nailed it sensible weatherwise, but missed the polar fields.

This is with respect to the season to date and especially December. The aggregate DM period very well may finish +AO/NAO.

Yeah so...the problem is the compression and the hurried velocities of the flow during the week to 10 days.

The models don't typically perform very well when the flow is high velocity, because the flow is too integrated.  Looser more open flows with greater hydrostatic gradients - that's where organized storms are handled better.   But when the flow is highly integrated from larger to small scales... small wobbles in run-to-run placement of larger features  directly causes large constructive or destructive interference...  It can mean total disappearance and then reappearance across successive model runs.

That's why one run has the 1s...the next run doesn't, but focuses on the 3rd... then scrubs both in lieu of the 25th on the next...  then it's back to the 23rd, sans the other two... and that's really what these last several model cycles are doing.

The question is naturally which, if any, are real?  

The 00z GGEM liked the 1st for a flat fast progressive wave.  That structure of that system is actually not a bad solution in this hurried trajectory and tendency for compression. In its solution, said compression is just relaxed enough to allow the wave to squeeze through with enough conserved mechanics to get a light to moderate event through the region. 

The other guidance destructively interfere to oblivion.

The 23-25th system is still there but 00z/06z GFS can't get the flow to 'kink' N of the compression axis in the TV-MA region so we stay boring cold and dry.  Euro seems to have even less 1st ... but is suggestive toward the 5th-7th again.

The end of the Euro run enters a new era of relaxing flow as the elephant N/stream lifts into the maritime region of Canada... but that's of course at the horizon of the guidance so cannot really be used deterministically - it's nice eye candy though lol. 

Looking ahead... the flow will likely to relax... but, I'm also concerned that as it does, we'll see a pretty profound correction in the total flow structure ... visible in guidance by then, that is ... unfriendly to winter enthusiasts.   There's valid reasons to assess that as having more probability to occur than a cold reload at this time.

• Thanks 1