Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Can't recall seeing 18z 2m temps modeled that low here before. Hope it moderates a lot.

Oh it will - we both know that...

I've seen these molecular slowing air masses countless times at that range and it ends up ... 70 ... 80% of the magnitude or less worst case, if not half.  

You know, it's not just the cold waves.  Storms too -    there's not a lot of real sciency value in the following statement, ...other than perhaps some predictable model error ( maybe), but ...I've come to understand that you take whatever is in a model beyond ~ D5 and lop amplitude off of it.

In fact, it's almost like 50% required D10s.   .25% required, D5s  ...  sort of a diminishing returns ratio/ wrt time like that.  

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

We set some daily records in 16 for 850s. Let's do Jan 04

Yeah I know...but it was still interesting that we had colder 850s in some previous cold shots but didn't quite get as cold in the lower levels as 2016...the core of that cold was centered around 925 I think....I remember we were tracking the top of Stratton and they got down to like -35F

That extended GFS was really plummeting the AO...  Even throws a -NAO bone in the form of a retrograde...  

I like that for the panache of it.  Not huge gradient, while a suppressed storm track, are two factors collocated in time that you'll find not uncommon around the times of bigger events of lore.

What I don't like about it ?   the fact that it's beyond 300 hours - ... I may also have a problem with being 'checked out' too but would likely be willing to negotiate if presented by the right sales pitch lol

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Your climate is different than SNE and you get that kind of cold fairly often . We do not so the flora takes a hit 

If we have the same cultivars it doesn't matter. But it's possible the forsythia are hardier here. The rhodies are a bit protected on the east side too.

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I know...but it was still interesting that we had colder 850s in some previous cold shots but didn't quite get as cold in the lower levels as 2016...the core of that cold was centered around 925 I think....I remember we were tracking the top of Stratton and they got down to like -35F

I think Feb 16 is ALBs all time record 850 low

Screenshot_20230126_131917_Chrome.jpg

That Vday cold shot in 2016 was a week out modeled as a nice snow event followed by cold.   Friday night and Saturday we had snow showers and my daughter and I went to Logan to leave for Nicaragua as I was part of a medical delegation.   It was maybe 20 as we left mid day.   Finally arriving in Nicaragua I was refreshing my phone a zillion times because I knew the cold was special.   I checked with my wife who stayed home and all was well although the dog spent a minimal amount of time outside-just for the purpose of “doing her business “.   I was thrilled to have those temperatures and not have to endure them-it was in the mid 70s at 2AM where I was.   I returned home a week later to showery wx and 55 degrees.   A few days later we had just about the best severe I’ve seen since living here-occurring around 3AM and waking up the whole house.  Strangely enough the dog took it in stride.   We really miss her!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That Vday cold shot in 2016 was a week out modeled as a nice snow event followed by cold.   Friday night and Saturday we had snow showers and my daughter and I went to Logan to leave for Nicaragua as I was part of a medical delegation.   It was maybe 20 as we left mid day.   Finally arriving in Nicaragua I was refreshing my phone a zillion times because I knew the cold was special.   I checked with my wife who stayed home and all was well although the dog spent a minimal amount of time outside-just for the purpose of “doing her business “.   I was thrilled to have those temperatures and not have to endure them-it was in the mid 70s at 2AM where I was.   I returned home a week later to showery wx and 55 degrees.   A few days later we had just about the best severe I’ve seen since living here-occurring around 3AM and waking up the whole house.  Strangely enough the dog took it in stride.   We really miss her!

Winter was effectively over that year after that cold shot.  Was crazy here from 0 degrees to raining in 24 hrs....

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

man... I'd be lying if I said wasn't becoming discouraged by this. 

This signal is very real but ... it just seems nothing is trending into it -

GGEM did ... I guess

Think we are in a boy who cried wolf situation at the point. Everyone is already expecting everything to trend terribly. If anyone says anything that sounds remotely positive, it’s assumed it will go to crap eventually.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

looks like the Euro's trying to finagle a S/streamer maybe but yeah ... this N/stream elephant ass routine can go to another planet if it wants to - ugh

Euro might get home with that 2/4-5 shortwave. 

I’d still watch 2/1 a bit though. There’s been hints for that one. Don’t think it would be a huge event but could produce overrunning snows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I’d still watch 2/1 a bit though. There’s been hints for that one. Don’t think it would be a huge event but could produce overrunning snows. 

I don't know if there's any continuity and it's not an aver to any potential but the follow-up wave ejecting wave through the west has promise too - it's got an aft ridge for a change, and the elephant's stampeded off the maps by then...  ha

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Blizzard on the Euro.  First 2 weeks of Feb usually have something.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

this is a nice look with the strong southern stream shortwave and confluence in place

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-vort500_z500-5468800.thumb.png.5732cfd7877fd65fd6f6ba285df50271.png