Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Thank you.  God I hope it shoves it right up their cans….just to shut them the f*ck up. Maybe a crippling ice event to shut em all down. 

I don't blame anyone thinking it'll be a shutout given the futility of this winter. 

You're asking folks to keep hope on 8+ day forecasts as we barrel into March after seeing very little snow & cold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Who said feet of snow?  I only saw most logical folks say there is some potential mid/late next week. That’s all I saw. Some confused folks. 

No one. I’m taking literary license with hyperbole.   So far today’s 12z runs along with 0z is a step back.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Thank you.  God I hope it shoves it right up their cans….just to shut them the f*ck up. Maybe a crippling ice event to shut em all down. 

I’d take an ice event . 

Persistence  (to me ) doesn’t mean because it rained it’s gonna rain Again For no reason.

It means the underlying reason models have struggled and been overly optimistic past day 10 only to fail inside 7 days repeatedly is due to them **having certain bias that weights something more or less than they should** and wether that “something “ is the Nina forcing..it has been consistently and repeatedly mishandled In the 10-15 day range ..when models suggest the pacific will improve or the SE ridge will be weak or whatever and that these underlying factors still are not and for some reason can’t be accurately forecast by the models due to some bias that is magnified by this Nina 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Constantly talking about how good things look 10 days away is just as bad as persistence forecasting, if not worse.

Were going to need a threat to actually get inside of like 3-4 days, otherwise, we are just on the same hamster wheel we’ve been on since November.

like I said, the 12z gfs is literally a carbon copy of most model runs of the last 3+ months. No bonafide cold storm looks have made it inside a week. We see a few decent runs, and then make a hard turn to dung around a week or so out, and that’s where it stays.

Maybe it’ll be different this time, but the 12z gfs run is very familiar looking.

Im skeptical we are seeing enough of a shuffle to really change things up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not sure what’s worse, persistence crowd, or “day 10 looks great” crowd.

We’ve seen a lot of the latter this winter.

Are people supposed to not discuss guidance? I don't understand the ridicule for people pointing out patterns shown 10+ days out....an overwhelming majority of these posts are not making a forecast or saying it will definitely happen.

Most of them are caveated with "hopefully we can get this inside 10 days" or some iteration. The worst is people who actually say nothing will change with extreme confidence and zero probabilistic nature to it. Persistence typically fails in the most high-leverage moments....which is why using it is so bad. Take the cold shot for example....yeah, it wasn't a snowstorm, but that cold shot was met with a plethora of "add 20 degrees" or "add 30 degrees" or "it's a complete model fabrication" type posts from the usual suspects....even when it was like 6-7 days out. Well, they look enormously ignorant now.....when the forecast actually mattered in a high-leverage type of event.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Are people supposed to not discuss guidance? I don't understand the ridicule for people pointing out patterns shown 10+ days out....an overwhelming majority of these posts are not making a forecast or saying it will definitely happen.

Most of them are caveated with "hopefully we can get this inside 10 days" or some iteration. The worst is people who actually say nothing will change with extreme confidence and zero probabilistic nature to it. Persistence typically fails in the most high-leverage moments....which is why using it is so bad. Take the cold shot for example....yeah, it wasn't a snowstorm, but that cold shot was met with a plethora of "add 20 degrees" or "add 30 degrees" or "it's a complete model fabrication" type posts from the usual suspects....even when it was like 6-7 days out. Well, they look enormously ignorant now.....when the forecast actually mattered in a high-leverage type of event.

I’m not sure we are going to see enough components shuffle for us to see a legitimate change in direction this winter.

So maybe persistence is the wrong way to describe it in the big picture, but the tangible outcome may be similar to what we’ve seen all winter, struggling to get winter storm looks inside day 7

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Constantly talking about how good things look 10 days away is just as bad as persistence forecasting, if not worse.

Were going to need a threat to actually get inside of like 3-4 days, otherwise, we are just on the same hamster wheel we’ve been on since November.

like I said, the 12z gfs is literally a carbon copy of most model runs of the last 3+ months. No bonafide cold storm looks have made it inside a week. We see a few decent runs, and then make a hard turn to dung around a week or so out, and that’s where it stays.

Maybe it’ll be different this time, but the 12z gfs run is very familiar looking.

Im skeptical we are seeing enough of a shuffle to really change things up.

This is getting to you so we hope you have learned this season that 18++ events don’t grow so easily on your clogged gutters…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah because of one GFS OP run

Problem is people get married to a solution or set of solutions that are really good....like we've seen several GFS runs produce multiple warning events and now when we get one that doesn't, it is deemed a failure before it ever got inside of 7 days....it's extremely hard to talk in layman's terms about probabilistic forecasting. Any threat from like 10 days out prob has something like a 1 in 5 shot at ever verifying (or even worse odds depending on the pattern).....but a good pattern will produce like 4 or 5 "threats" in the pipeline, so odds are that 1 or 2 of them will be hits by the time you get it closer.

That's sort of what this pattern is showing....there will be a few shots....they all won't hit. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them do....but it's still possible none of them hit. There is a distinct cutter risk still....I think we've talked about it several times, but for some reason people act like we didn't mention it when an OP run (like today's 12z GFS) shows a cutter....they go "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU!!!! Its the same pattern!!!!1111111!2#3!!!!"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Problem is people get married to a solution or set of solutions that are really good....like we've seen several GFS runs produce multiple warning events and now when we get one that doesn't, it is deemed a failure before it ever got inside of 7 days....it's extremely hard to talk in layman's terms about probabilistic forecasting. Any threat from like 10 days out prob has something like a 1 in 5 shot at ever verifying (or even worse odds depending on the pattern).....but a good pattern will produce like 4 or 5 "threats" in the pipeline, so odds are that 1 or 2 of them will be hits by the time you get it closer.

That's sort of what this pattern is showing....there will be a few shots....they all won't hit. Hopefully 1 or 2 of them do....but it's still possible none of them hit. There is a distinct cutter risk still....I think we've talked about it several times, but for some reason people act like we didn't mention it when an OP run (like today's 12z GFS) shows a cutter....they go "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU!!!! Its the same pattern!!!!1111111!2#3!!!!"

no changes

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I also don't have an issue with the initial larger event (like the one on the GFS for 2/23) to be messy. It's sort of the transition type event where I can envision that. 

anything before March 1st is a bonus anyway before any blocking that does occur gets going. that's when the ceiling gets raised

it's obviously not a guarantee, but it's showing up more on OP runs and ensembles and moving forward in time

the effects of the SSW will also downwell easily to 50mb and possibly to 100mb... this has a good chance of coupling IMO. might also be why ensembles are getting blockier towards March

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

anything before March 1st is a bonus anyway before any blocking that does occur gets going. that's when the ceiling gets raised

it's obviously not a guarantee, but it's showing up more on OP runs and ensembles and moving forward in time

the effects of the SSW will also downwell easily to 50mb and possibly to 100mb... this has a good chance of coupling IMO. might also be why ensembles are getting blockier towards March

I’d argue it’s more important to cash in next week. As anything after March 1 is a bonus being that it’s 13 days away. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1