Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

Tbh both sides are kinda annoying at times. lol

I think the persistence people are mostly just checked out of winter and have the spring itch so it’s more wishcasting than anything. Not everyone…just most. 

And the LR disco is great and I enjoy the SSW/MJO/indice talk, but let’s be real…the science of it and the model verification are 2 different things. But obviously this is a weather forum and I defer to the side of actual scientific discussion and not the emotional winter cancel arguments. Trust me, I’d love to end winter right now, but it’s still mid Feb and there’s plenty of winter climo left for everyone. It’s like predicting no more dews for anyone on Aug 15. We know better than that. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

This is what I responded to, not your editorializing now:

"The magic recipe for threats beyond 5 days out. 

1) Analyze the guidance/potential

2) Add a dash more of -PNA.

3) Mix in better Canada/NATL region

4) Realism/Skepticism because it is beyond 5 days out. 

5) Avoid emotions. 

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila."

Right, and I added that editorial to explain what was meant by that in case I was not clear. 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was up in Franklin and Tilton and then Keene today in NH. Coming home in far southern NH in Winchester there was an amazing amount of tree damage along route 10 heading south. White pines, maples.. looked like most species. That area must have gotten crushed with damage and power outages 

Yep.  As I’ve driven around more the extent of the damage from those twin snow events is quite evident.  

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Fine, but I posted all three ensembles and the GEFS were the most pessimistic in terms of snowfall.

For you.  For me it was eps which makes sense given the high n making the mean less subject to bigger skews from extreme outliers.  You’ll do ok-not sure about pike south though.

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm dumbfounded but ok:

1) Analyze the guidance/potential ----> This is what meteorologists and hobbyists do. 

2) Add a dash more of -PNA.  --->  This is to take into account the bias of models seeming to underplay the -PNA

3) Mix in better Canada/NATL region ---> We have a better Canada/NATL region than what we have seen all winter. Fact not opinion.

4) Realism/Skepticism because it is beyond 5 days out. ---> This is acknowledging that because of many moving parts, one should not fall in love with a particular solution this far out. 

5) Avoid emotions.   ---> You need to add more of this

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila.    ---> Objectivity as in understanding all the variables and having a rationale discussion void of weenieism and vapid pessimism based on emotions. 

So how is that wishcasting?

we now have troll triplets.

18 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was up in Franklin and Tilton and then Keene today in NH. Coming home in far southern NH in Winchester there was an amazing amount of tree damage along route 10 heading south. White pines, maples.. looked like most species. That area must have gotten crushed with damage and power outages 

You were in my territory!  if you ever have time to kill, message me on here and I'll meet you for a drink.

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Kevin isn't handling this winter well :(

I’ve been out on winter since Dec . I am so at ease and peace . I am so confident in futility records that I bet Ginx beers vs weed. He wins .. I buy him weed.  I win.. he buys me beers . Once you don’t care anymore it’s so much more relaxing and not stressful 

• Haha 1