Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

17 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Some futility stats from around the area as of Feb 15th, 2023. 

Station ID snowfall to date | Record lowest for the season & year | What is needed to tie the record | Rank (if we to end with no additional snowfall)

If there's any that are wrong lmk, there's some missing data for a few years here and there, especially for BDL. 

BDR 0.8 | 8.2 (1973) | 7.4 | #1

NYC 0.4 | 2.8 (1973) | 2.4 | #1

EWR 0.4 | 1.9 (1973) | 1.5 | #1

PVD 4.9 | 9.7 (1980) | 4.8 | #1

BOS 7.9 | 9.0 (1937) | N/A | #3

BDL 9.4 | 14.7 (1937) | 5.3 | #1

ORH 17.5 | 21.2 (1955) | 3.7 | #1

ALY 23.9 | 16.9 (2016) | N/A | #4

Do you have the same statistics for temperatures? Gotta to be challenging temperature records for a winter season.

26 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

These people are absolutely out of their mind.  Mods need to start banning these loons. Everything has been said and prefaced dozens of times, caveats and nuances, and the tenor etc etc…and yet the same ones constantly just saying complete rubbish, and provide zero scientific reason. Absolutely Sickening. 

Someone's looking for an echo chamber.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's actually quite amusing from an outsider's standpoint. You guys are ruthless to each other. It's like an episode of "Mean Girls' but with a bunch of middle-aged men feverishly pounding away at their keyboards. 

I wonder what this board looks like to folks who are just passing by trying to get a read on when winter could potentially set in and they come across a virtual circus cross bread with an insane asylum, instead…

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think any of the missing years would have been lower for BDL or ORH. There were some ratters (esp ‘99-00) in there, but nothing threatening futility. 99-00 does have the latest measurable for several stations though. 

I think BOS is wrong in your rank and number needed for beating futility. They need 1.2 and you have it as “N/A”

His list is to tie the futility record, not beat it. 

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If this was 200 years ago , We would probably consider making a sacrifice , and I can picture the crowd going wild 

like In Indiana Jones when they lower the guy into the fire pit 

Might have to be a sacrificial banning…impromptu GTG for it. We’ll have the entire bar chanting like in Temple of Doom before pressing the ban button. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If this was 200 years ago , We would probably consider making a sacrifice , and I can picture the crowd going wild 

Kalima!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBIdcUxdgo0

Like in the Vikings show. They sacrifice a wild animal . Drain the blood into a bucket and then dip fingers into it and smear lines of blood on faces 

2 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

MA is probably wiped, even Ashburnham/Ashby, the woods were very very thin and that was days  ago. Berks at 2k in a shady spot sure, but overall it's a wipeout

Some snow still in my yard in shaded areas.  But it is almost gone.  There are two houses in my little neighborhood that have groves of pines to the south/southeast.  They have close to 100% coverage several inches deep.  But anywhere the sun has hit it is gone

• Like 2

yeah I agree with the other mets. I apologize that late December didn’t work out, but that longwave pattern deserved some honking and it didn’t work out. it happens. does it suck? hell yeah, I’m just as frustrated as anyone else, believe me 

and I generally try and include caveats. I don’t think I’ve said that anything wintry was going to happen all winter… just discussing possibilities that were quite a ways out since there’s not much else to talk about. usually filled with a lot of IFs and BUTs and MAYBEs. I’m not going to act as if guidance looks horrible when it doesn’t, or not discuss a potential threat at days 7-10 if it bears merit 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, kdxken said:

While you're here, how are we shaping up for warmest winter ever? No need to bother folks looking up data when you have it in your head.

I think the only site that may have a realistic shot is ORH but that would come with a big asterisk since their ASOS is between 2-3F too warm so that’s a massive handicap baked in. 

But most sites should be in the top 5. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1