Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah I agree with the other mets. I apologize that late December didn’t work out, but that longwave pattern deserved some honking and it didn’t work out. it happens. does it suck? hell yeah, I’m just as frustrated as anyone else, believe me 

and I generally try and include caveats. I don’t think I’ve said that anything wintry was going to happen all winter… just discussing possibilities that were quite a ways out since there’s not much else to talk about. usually filled with a lot of IFs and BUTs and MAYBEs. I’m not going to act as if guidance looks horrible when it doesn’t, or not discuss a potential threat at days 7-10 if it’s bears merit 

You’ve been excellent! Super informative and enlightening. If folks can’t figure out that nothing is guaranteed…that’s on them as has been said. Keep up the great posting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

How can Boston be 1.1” below the all time low, and be #3?

It can't. It's an error but I fixed it

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think any of the missing years would have been lower for BDL or ORH. There were some ratters (esp ‘99-00) in there, but nothing threatening futility. 99-00 does have the latest measurable for several stations though. 

I think BOS is wrong in your rank and number needed for beating futility. They need 1.2 and you have it as “N/A”

Thanks, that's why I ask, mistakes with these can be easy to make, just look at the nws top snowfall graphic that was posted in here a couple weeks ago several errors.. So thanks it should be right now still number 1

BDL was also missing a few very bad years like 97-98 and 01-02. Not sure if that would have beat their number 1 though. 

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Might have to be a sacrificial banning…impromptu GTG for it. We’ll have the entire bar chanting like in Temple of Doom before pressing the ban button. 

We tried to do that to Barry Burbank 14 years ago but they shoed us into a room away from their regular patrons-JJ Foleys close to 3/1/09.  Burbank was talking 1-3/2-4 and weenies were going wild.   Fwiw verification was 8 inches.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Its true,  But some need to make it about them, Hate to see it.

Yea and I also get the humanity of it all too. If someone is going through a tough time in their life, losing a loved one etc, and a solid winter with good snows is an escape from it it all. I’ve been there before with my dad and probably took it out on a few busted snowstorms myself and took some posters along with the ride. I’m pretty sure everyone loves their favorite weather and associates it with good or bad times in their lives…so I’m not diminishing that at all. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea and I also get the humanity of it all too. If someone is going through a tough time in their life, losing a loved one etc, and a solid winter with good snows is an escape from it it all. I’ve been there before with my dad and probably took it out on a few busted snowstorms myself and took some posters along with the ride. I’m pretty sure everyone loves their favorite weather and associates it with good or bad times in their lives…so I’m not diminishing that at all. 

The one silver lining about ratters is it helps us appreciate the good winters and storms more. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I get it, This is a different meaning though then some exhibit,  It's a way to cope with a life issue rather then just a whiny bitch session based solely on a weather outcome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

The one silver lining about ratters is it helps us appreciate the good winters and storms more

I believe that whole heartedly. 02-03 felt like I was in a winter wonderland dream coming off of 01-02. I got more in November 02 than I did the entire season of 01-02.  That's about the most extreme juxtaposition you can get and probably 11-12/12-13.... same idea.

Some people think 1 footers grow on trees around here because we've been so lucky the past decade with them. Wait till we go 5+ years without one.. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don’t think any of the missing years would have been lower for BDL or ORH. There were some ratters (esp ‘99-00) in there, but nothing threatening futility. 99-00 does have the latest measurable for several stations though. 

I think BOS is wrong in your rank and number needed for beating futility. They need 1.2 and you have it as “N/A”

This is just like one extended December 2015, I've already begun planting.

at JFK 10 of the last 35 seasons have had fewer than 10"  It's more common to get less than 10" than it is to get 40" and almost as common as getting 30"

Used to this now.

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Some futility stats from around the area as of Feb 15th, 2023. 

Station ID snowfall to date | Record lowest for the season & year | What is needed to tie the record | Rank (if we to end with no additional snowfall)

If there's any that are wrong lmk, there's some missing data for a few years here and there, especially for BDL. 

BDR 0.8 | 8.2 (1973) | 7.4 | #1

NYC 0.4 | 2.8 (1973) | 2.4 | #1

EWR 0.4 | 1.9 (1973) | 1.5 | #1

PVD 4.9 | 9.7 (1980) | 4.8 | #1

BOS 7.9 | 9.0 (1937) | 1.1 | #1

BDL 9.4 | 14.7 (1937) | 5.3 | #1

ORH 17.5 | 21.2 (1955) | 3.7 | #1

ALY 23.9 | 16.9 (2016) | N/A | #4

0.2 at JFK so close to perfect futility

and it feels like spring now and planting has begun

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

JFK 0.2 | 1.6 (1973) | 1.4 | #1

JFK has just 12% of its all time lowest seasonal snowfall :lol:

It's awesome huh.....we have had like 3 events total one with zero accumulation, one with a light coating on some elevated surfaces and one with a solid coating but also only on elevated surfaces....none of these stayed on the ground more than an hour or two lol

We also set the record for warmest January in recorded history and only three days with a low below freezing.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brooklynwx99 said:

yeah I agree with the other mets. I apologize that late December didn’t work out, but that longwave pattern deserved some honking and it didn’t work out. it happens. does it suck? hell yeah, I’m just as frustrated as anyone else, believe me 

and I generally try and include caveats. I don’t think I’ve said that anything wintry was going to happen all winter… just discussing possibilities that were quite a ways out since there’s not much else to talk about. usually filled with a lot of IFs and BUTs and MAYBEs. I’m not going to act as if guidance looks horrible when it doesn’t, or not discuss a potential threat at days 7-10 if it’s bears merit 

Thanks for apologizing. Now make sure you don’t let it happen again. :P

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I get it, This is a different meaning though then some exhibit,  It's a way to cope with a life issue rather then just a whiny bitch session based solely on a weather outcome.

Oh yea, there’s a difference between the two. 

20 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Imagine how grateful we will be for past storms if we have another s*** ass winter next year. 

Never say never but a) it can’t get much worse and b) we’ve already faced some pretty shitty winters recently…so I think we climb out of this next season especially if nina is sent to hell. Hopefully the geese don’t come back to bite me on it though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Without that 0.3 degree background warming we’d have been a more manageable +7.7 in January instead of +8.0.

The lows probably would’ve tracked southeast of us too instead of up the St Lawrence Valley.

I'm pretty sure most places have warmed several degrees in D-F over the last 100 years or so.

Don & Bluewave always post great data on that

This winter is an extreme warm outlier but still