Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

The magic recipe for threats beyond 5 days out. 

1) Analyze the guidance/potential

2) Add a dash more of -PNA.

3) Mix in better Canada/NATL region

4) Realism/Skepticism because it is beyond 5 days out. 

5) Avoid emotions. 

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila.

Sounds more like wishcasting to me.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 78Blizzard said:

Most of us have no problem with you highlighting these la la land snow maps, but being the realists we are, we know how just about all of those have turned out for most this winter.  So excuse us if we don't get too excited about 324 hr snow maps.

The point is that some are freaking out about the threats going to crap, so I'm not sure what else to reference when responding to these assertions about the guidance other than...well.....the guidance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

That wasn't the only thing I put in bold.

I'm dumbfounded but ok:

1) Analyze the guidance/potential ----> This is what meteorologists and hobbyists do. 

2) Add a dash more of -PNA.  --->  This is to take into account the bias of models seeming to underplay the -PNA

3) Mix in better Canada/NATL region ---> We have a better Canada/NATL region than what we have seen all winter. Fact not opinion.

4) Realism/Skepticism because it is beyond 5 days out. ---> This is acknowledging that because of many moving parts, one should not fall in love with a particular solution this far out. 

5) Avoid emotions.   ---> You need to add more of this

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila.    ---> Objectivity as in understanding all the variables and having a rationale discussion void of weenieism and vapid pessimism based on emotions. 

So how is that wishcasting?

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The point is that drawing attention to aspects of the pattern that could be construed as unfavorable for snowfall implies objectivity, which is the antithesis of "wish casting".

He pointed out that it would be wise to assume more RNA than modeled....which is not conducive for snowfall.

What are you confused about?

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm dumbfounded but ok:

1) Analyze the guidance/potential ----> This is what meteorologists and hobbyists do. 

2) Add a dash more of -PNA.  --->  This is to take into account the bias of models seeming to underplay the -PNA

3) Mix in better Canada/NATL region ---> We have a better Canada/NATL region than what we have seen all winter. Fact not opinion.

4) Realism/Skepticism because it is beyond 5 days out. ---> This is acknowledging that because of many moving parts, one should not fall in love with a particular solution this far out. 

5) Avoid emotions.   ---> You need to add more of this

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila.    ---> Objectivity as in understanding all the variables and having a rationale discussion void of weenieism and vapid pessimism based on emotions. 

So how is that wishcasting?

This is what I responded to, not your editorializing now:

"The magic recipe for threats beyond 5 days out. 

5) Avoid emotions. 

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila."

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Current guidance has me with another 10-20" for the balance of Feb, which is gravy pre blocking....I'll take 30-40" seasonal total with an ominous March hanging in the balance and run.

When you say ominous March, are you alluding to the first 2/3 of the month, or the entire thing?  Obviously that's details TBD, just curious what you're interpretation is as of now.

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The point is that some are freaking out about the threats going to crap, so I'm not sure what else to reference when responding to these assertions about the guidance other than...well.....the guidance.

no, we're supposed to be pessimistic all the time because the guidance is always wrong, no matter what

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

This is what I responded to, not your editorializing now:

"The magic recipe for threats beyond 5 days out. 

5) Avoid emotions. 

6) Mix together and you have a tasty dish of objectivity. Voila."

How was any of that wishcasting? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I would argue the GEFS snow maps are the least valuable given the fact that the 15 members can have 25% full weenie skew the mean quite a bit.  Much less of an issue on eps with 51

Fine, but I posted all three ensembles and the GEFS were the most pessimistic in terms of snowfall.