joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

25 minutes ago, snowemgee said:
1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:
Great call to blow a fair game 

Felt that way too, but earlier catch/fumble ruled not a catch has to be factored in. We need some controversy...since we definitely don't have snow to debate over.

That earlier catch ruled no catch was a good call. All the announcers agreed and it was pretty obvious. He hadn’t established control the way the nfl defines it before being hit. The one at the end was just really sad because Kansas City would’ve kicked a field goal which they probably would’ve made and then eagles would’ve had a minute and a half to move down the field.  And they probably would’ve been able to get a field goal the way they have been moving the ball. Kansas City still deserved to win, but the Eagles had their shot at it taken away by a horrible call.   I just don’t understand why a ref insert himself on some thing like that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I see a lot of 70-74’s

Yea def 70’s on the table. The low end looks like low 60’s, so either way very warm.

There’s pretty big differences between 0z GEFS and 18z EPS still. GEFS much warmer than EPS.

The 18z EPS basically looks like this past Friday, while the 0z GEFS cuts into Ontario. The EPS look would bring with it those modeled clouds we’ve been talking about.

MJO and teles all fit best with GEFS at that time frame so that’s my bet right now. And the lack of snow pack as well as warmth heading into it, adds positive tailwind to temps. Going big with 70’s Thurs.

7BCE21CE-B2F9-453E-BB0B-5380ADF54B99.png

4EFC0694-6214-4FF9-9DCF-22A14C0EEA5C.png

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't understand how a balloon could travel from Montana at 20k feet to Lake Huron with this airflow the last 5 days at 500 mb

114315_trj001.gif

They can steer the balloons using altitude and upper level air currents. Google has a bunch of their Loon balloons that can be tracked on any ADS flight tracking software. I think the last balloon was at 60k in altitude.

Loon deployed its high-altitude balloon network into the stratosphere, between altitudes of 18 km and 25 km. The company stated that the particular altitude and layer of the stratosphere is advantageous for the balloons because of its low wind speeds, which are usually recorded between 5 mph and 20 mph (10 km/h to 30 km/h). The layer is also an area of minimal turbulence. The company said it was able to model the seasonal, longitudinal and latitudinal wind speed variations, allowing them to adjust the placements of their balloons.[38]

Loon claimed it could control the latitudinal and longitudinal position of its high-altitude balloons by changing their altitude. They did this by adjusting the volume and density of internal gas (which is composed of either helium, hydrogen or another lighter-than-air substance), which allowed the balloon's variable buoyancy system to control the altitude. Additionally, Google had indicated that the balloons were possibly constructed from materials like metalized Mylar, BoPET, or a highly flexible latex or rubber material, like chloroprene.[38]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotSureWeather said:

More 37-38 degree rain. I love this winter so much. I wish I could give it a hug.

45 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

Quiet in here this morning.

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Back to tracking 10-14 day bootleg winter

Sad to see it. 

Meanwhile....8 years ago.  That telephone pole is only 120' away.

2014_02-13_snow.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, BrianW said:

They can steer the balloons using altitude and upper level air currents. Google has a bunch of their Loon balloons that can be tracked on any ADS flight tracking software. I think the last balloon was at 60k in altitude.

Loon deployed its high-altitude balloon network into the stratosphere, between altitudes of 18 km and 25 km. The company stated that the particular altitude and layer of the stratosphere is advantageous for the balloons because of its low wind speeds, which are usually recorded between 5 mph and 20 mph (10 km/h to 30 km/h). The layer is also an area of minimal turbulence. The company said it was able to model the seasonal, longitudinal and latitudinal wind speed variations, allowing them to adjust the placements of their balloons.[38]

Loon claimed it could control the latitudinal and longitudinal position of its high-altitude balloons by changing their altitude. They did this by adjusting the volume and density of internal gas (which is composed of either helium, hydrogen or another lighter-than-air substance), which allowed the balloon's variable buoyancy system to control the altitude. Additionally, Google had indicated that the balloons were possibly constructed from materials like metalized Mylar, BoPET, or a highly flexible latex or rubber material, like chloroprene.[38]

This one was at 20k and octagonal with no visible means of propulsion 

7 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Yea def 70’s on the table. The low end looks like low 60’s, so either way very warm.

There’s pretty big differences between 0z GEFS and 18z EPS still. GEFS much warmer than EPS.

The 18z EPS basically looks like this past Friday, while the 0z GEFS cuts into Ontario. The EPS look would bring with it those modeled clouds we’ve been talking about.

MJO and teles all fit best with GEFS at that time frame so that’s my bet right now. And the lack of snow pack as well as warmth heading into it, adds positive tailwind to temps. Going big with 70’s Thurs.

7BCE21CE-B2F9-453E-BB0B-5380ADF54B99.png

4EFC0694-6214-4FF9-9DCF-22A14C0EEA5C.png

Looks like EPS is much warmer at surface, almost every member well into 60s 

B11B3565-DEFB-45CC-89C5-CAFCA5DF58CF.png

4C612B31-CF6D-4163-8ED3-98B9CD651E85.png

2DBA181F-F23C-4A73-BFB1-2116670DBB4E.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Looks like EPS is much warmer at surface, almost every member well into 60s 

B11B3565-DEFB-45CC-89C5-CAFCA5DF58CF.png

4C612B31-CF6D-4163-8ED3-98B9CD651E85.png

2DBA181F-F23C-4A73-BFB1-2116670DBB4E.png

Good to see it coming around.

Last Friday’s setup got us low 60’s throughout SNE. And that was not nearly  as good as this warm-up; especially timing wise. This window has a lot more “warm” tailwinds. We will be a lot warmer heading into it, in-situ airmass, and ground temps, better surface low track with warm sector pushing into southern Canada. 

I think 65 even at PSM is a conservative low bar.

• Like 1

If it were me ... I might consider augmenting my approach philosophy if/when seeking any seasonal redemption or wintry event looking forward...   The 'pattern' may not be much help in doing so. 

When referring or relying upon the GEFS or EPS or GEPs averaged wholesale structures..etc, that large scale application means attempting to connect with a index-scaled events: those that are triggered by more obviously recognizable signals.  

I just think for the time being ( ...next couple of weeks anyway ..), you're focus should be sub-index scaled correction scenarios.  Events that "sneak" past those conventions.

Case in point ... looking at the charts out there between D9 and 11 .. 12, one may not guess much is very possible or even plausible, with a compressed and very fast interference pattern... However, at the individual member level ( and deterministic solutions notwithstanding),  a lot of ensemble members seem to detect enough perturbation in that elephant pattern to ignite an overrunning/ open wave situation. 

Despite the over-arcing panoply of planetary indexes signaling warmth and an early escape ( BD season notwithstanding...), there is a lot of cold air in Canada through the period, with a subtle tendency to split the flow just enough... The telecon detection grid for the PNA is clearly seeing the negative out there toward week 2. But ...if there is still a modest N/stream coming into occasional confluence, ..yes, even with a +AO ... the cold source would likely bear its presence down to 40 N...   Heh, perhaps the only way really possible to get any kind of wintry production out of a +AO/+NAO/-PNA  PHASE 3-6.5 MJO, late winter La Nina climo.. but it is what it is...

We'll see... keep an eye on that range tho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Thank you for the explanation, makes sense.  That 06z GEFS Trending toward EPS somewhat? 

Yeah it was a little more pressed with PV....still not as good as EPS, but we're talking clown range here. And I don't think this Feb 23-Mar 4 period is going to have just non-stop cold/snow anyway. It's a gradient pattern where we'll prob get a cutter too....but at least we'll have the chance at an event or two with so much cold lurking in Canada.

Any chance for sustained snowy threats would have to be due to a big block forming like the weeklies showed. Plenty of reasons to be skeptical of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1