Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday, January 6, 2023 Light snow event

weatherwiz

13 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Really interesting seeing Albany at 40/39 and North Adam’s MA at 38/35. Incredibly warm for Jan 6.

The mesos have this boundary as a quasi stationary front, whereas the globals swing this through the area as a weak warm front associated with the surface low in Ontario. Basically mesos saying the weakening NB surface HP will be enough to hold its ground while globals saying “not a chance” it’s gonna get booted east. Climo matches the mesos; persistence matches the globals. I lean with persistence.

Considering how wet and warm the ground is it will be interesting to see how much snow can actually accumulate.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just NW of 495 currently reminds me of.....well 12/23/97. :lol:  Wonder if that is all snow. CC looks it.

It is now… When we first transition it was kind of having trouble but now it looks like a Sno globe type snow …big aggregates.

there’s no more sleet anymore -it’s either small aggregate fragments or bigger cotton balls. mesmerizing actually. 

The comparison to 1997 December 23 is not actually quite accurate though by the way - I’ve heard you reference that a couple of times the last day or so. December 23, 1997 was very cold that was the bigger contributing aspect to the model bust/storm result Then the QPF which was eye-popping enough.  It started snowing it was 20° and it finished snowing at 27. and those were small uniform snow falling at choke rates. I mean there was no contention no mixing and it was way vastly more intense.  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It is now… When we first transition it was kind of having trouble but now it looks like a Sno globe type snow …big aggregates.

there’s no more sleet anymore -it’s either small aggregate fragments or bigger cotton balls. mesmerizing actually. 

The comparison to 1997 December 23 is not actually quite accurate though by the way - I’ve heard you reference that a couple of times the last day or so. December 23, 1997 was very cold that was the bigger contributing aspect to the model bust/storm result Then the QPF which was eye-popping enough.  It started snowing it was 20° and it finished snowing at 27. and those were small uniform snow falling at choke rates. I mean there was no contention no mixing and it was way vastly more intense.  

LOL, I was half joking dude. But the s/w, airmass kind of meh near the coast with erly flow near the surface and just aloft.....and cold aloft. Meaning they'll be potent bands like what it out near 495. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There will be no problem with that. It's early January with temps 31-32.

Snowgrowth here is awesome in the northern part of the Orh Co band. It's the kind of snow thats wet, but stacks onto itself pretty well on cold surfaces. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Really interesting seeing Albany at 40/39 and North Adam’s MA at 38/35. Incredibly warm for Jan 6.

The mesos have this boundary as a quasi stationary front, whereas the globals swing this through the area as a weak warm front associated with the surface low in Ontario. Basically mesos saying the weakening NB surface HP will be enough to hold its ground while globals saying “not a chance” it’s gonna get booted east. Climo matches the mesos; persistence matches the globals. I lean with persistence.

I'm lost.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Considering how wet and warm the ground is it will be interesting to see how much snow can actually accumulate.

wrong lol. started accumulating here right at the start. parachutes coming down with close to 1” on the ground. pavement starting to whiten up as well

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Precip intensity let up and we are 31 snow/ sleet mix in Nash

looks like the best action is just south of ASH into central Mass.  GYX talked about a midlevel fronto band which would enhance rates up this way but I don't know if or when that will happen.  If we had a snowpack this would be a nice little refresher.  Instead it feels like the first snow of late Nov/early Dec on top of which we build a winter pack.  Maybe our whole winter starts now, 6-7 weeks late, and we get a back down by the 15th that we can build on.