Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, Rvarookie said:

IMO overall discussion seems much better this year compared to others. Besides @Maestrobjwapanic, I think most folks have been pretty chill considering how shitty things have been

I think most of us "know" and are just trying to keep it light and have some fun with it since things are slow. There are more important things to worry about.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Right in time for Ji vacation
5db1696f947bbad74db3137a1036dcde.jpg

Would fit remarkably well with what we've seen ever since late Fall, with major -EPO spikes that precede a transient (albeit stout) colder regime in the Midwest/East, taking place every month or so. A similar tanking of the EPO happened close to the 15th back in November, another one near the 18th of December, and now it's plausible that a similar event will take place near the 20th-25th of this month. 

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Would fit remarkably well with what we've seen ever since late Fall, with major -EPO spikes that precede a transient (albeit stout) colder regime in the Midwest/East, taking place every month or so. A similar tanking of the EPO happened close to the 15th back in November, another one near the 18th of December, and now it's plausible that a similar event will take place near the 20th-25th of this month. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if we had two cold, dry -EPO periods sandwiched around the January Pack Puke warm/moist period.  Good thing for me I also enjoy cold dry weather. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

This pattern progression has been right on schedule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

Hmmm....dude might be onto something. Hafta look for analog. Time will tell

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

There is a reason the saying is 'warm/wet cold/dry, repeat'

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Terpeast said:

All I’m saying is if we get 0 this year, how likely is it we will get 0 again next year? Maybe there’s a first for everything. 

Maybe your expectations are different, but I’d be content with 3”, let alone 7”

It’s not so much expectation as what’s worth getting excited over. I don’t expect it but what I want is what used to be a typical winter prior to 2016.  I’d take a 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015…basically what used to be 70% of our winters. Something like any of those above where it’s cold and snows a reasonable amount would be fine. But if we have to suffer a 0 just to get another one of these recent new normal single digit torch most of the winters no thanks.  It’s all just a different version of crap to me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

If we get that tall coupled PNA and EPO ridge, it will build homegrown cold. It’s just physics. No WAA off the PAC coupled with low sun angle and radiating snow cover. Question is how fast and then how long to transport it south. You can probably do some sort of back of the envelope calculation on this… My intuition is something like 4-8 days to regenerate at least normal if not BN temps in central Canada, then another 3-5 days for southward transport. So if that ridge does develop with a trough in the east, maybe 6-7 days at least before you can fully flush the mild air out?

I think you’ve got the likely timeline correct. My concern was based on the last 7 years how often have we been able to build domestic cold?  The rare cold weve had seems to only come from cross polar flow periods. The pac hasn’t backed off for more than a week or two lately making it hard for the homegrown model to work. 

But maybe we’ve reached rock bottom. I’ll throw a nugget of optimism out there. Part of my pessimism is that enso neutral and negative winters that start this way tend to be total ratters. But if we were in a Nino I’d be saying “hold the line y’all” and citing all the late flips. A flip to cold late Jan after a dud start is common in ninos. And we’ve been in a very Nino ish pattern for most of the season so maybe this year continues to behave like one. 

That’s the best I can do on the hopeium front. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s not so much expectation as what’s worth getting excited over. I don’t expect it but what I want is what used to be a typical winter prior to 2016.  I’d take a 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015…basically what used to be 70% of our winters. Something like any of those above where it’s cold and snows a reasonable amount would be fine. But if we have to suffer a 0 just to get another one of these recent new normal single digit torch most of the winters no thanks.  It’s all just a different version of crap to me. 

Yeah if this is the new normal, then it’s not worth being so invested in this hobby, at least for myself. And the fact that I don’t post here as much as I did in years past is probably a sign of moving on or at least divesting a bit in terms of time and emotions.

I won’t be satisfied with single digit winters, but if that’s what we get then there are plenty of other worthwhile things to do, like swimming or hitting the gym or some other hobby or activity where you can control the outcome. And then for the real diehards there is the option of moving north to a place that gets hundreds of inches, like the infamous PhineasC.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If I’m not mistaken both the eps and gefs had tremendous looks for next weekends storm. So …

I'm not sure they could be called tremendous.  The airmass was always horrible.  But both models "saw" that if everything went exactly right in the best possible way, a nice storm could result. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok. That’s your bar. 

I decided that mine would be one snowfall that at minimum covers the grass. Anything on top of that would be a bonus to me. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic