Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

GGEM has a 4 county wide blizzard and gfs has a January hurricane. Your move, euro!

If it's going to be fall in January, we might as well call back the NHC to issue advisories on Hurricane Arlene as it rapidly intensifies into a Cat 4...and runs up the Bay. Do those bring snow?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The strange thing about that GFS run is that the low off the Carolinas has just retrograded like 750 miles from southeast of Bermuda to where it is in that panel due to - and then gets stuck under - that massive Quebec block (for lack of a better term).

Yeah, strange. I saw that, and decided it was kooky enough of a solution to ignore.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Nothing is trending towards a colder solution.  They are actually all trending even warmer still.  This is the storm we were tracking 72 hours ago on that CMC run

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_15.thumb.png.01e452425e0d1372560357f72c770f02.png

The primary system is toast.  Gone.  Forget it.  Its going to cut.  What guidance is trending towards now is the idea that a secondary piece of energy is going to dive in the back side and develop a new low along the coast after the front from the original system catches up...which would open the door some to a crazy scenario where the mid atlantic COULD get snow if everything went absolutely perfectly.  Yea I know that is not how we normally roll but once in a blue moon something like that can happen and why not end this streak that way.  But to say its trending colder is a gross misrepresentation of the situation.  

I appreciate you taking the time to respond but I did not say models were trending colder, I said they would correct to a colder solution. The initial piece of energy will cut west but how strong it gets and how much warmth it takes with it is still very much in question. I didn't misrepresent anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This scenario: cutter followed by northern stream Miller B is obviously a low-likelihood chance for us and nailing where any snow band forms will be a very dicey prospect…but a 10% chance is a helluva lot better than the 0% we had. And it’s only 4-5 days out.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

This scenario: cutter followed by northern stream Miller B is obviously a low-likelihood chance for us and nailing where any snow band forms will be a very dicey prospect…but a 10% chance is a helluva lot better than the 0% we had. And it’s only 4-5 days out.

I will take my chances with a 500mb pass like that. that's sick

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z500_anom-3730000.thumb.png.35e37bb838630be72da5f87e43eefc16.png

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman…12z GEFS says 3-4 days to flush PAC puke out of central Canada and replace it with BN temps after the PNA/EPO ridge pops. 

That look day 15 isn't just ok its REALLY good...the kind of good we should still be able to win with even if our climo fears are true.  If not...well then its really close the blinds forever time.  The question isn't would that work...IMO its 1)is that real 2)how long does it last knowing even in a good pattern it usually takes us more than one opportunity with a wave to get a hit

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

ecmwf-deterministic-conus-z500_anom-3730000.thumb.png.35e37bb838630be72da5f87e43eefc16.png

Oh yeah it’s beautiful. Areas north of Philly or even north of NYC obviously have a lot more wiggle room than us. Miller Bs suck for us usually because they form too far north. You can see on the euro that even with a low popping off Hatteras it takes time for it to develop a CCB precip shield and we get wraparound snow only. 50mi north shift there and it’s congrats Philly. 150mi and congrats Poconos or Catskills. Still…way better than no chance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

How you get to that look is important too though.  A NS wave diving in from the NW to that location is a LOT different than something coming at us from the TN valley.   I would be a LOT more excited if I lived in Philly or NYC with this kind of setup.  It's going to be really difficult for that kind of setup to come together in time to really significantly impact the DC area.  It's possible...the CMC showed how, but history suggests this is way more likely to work out further NE of us.  Just beware of objects that might start coming at your head in here if this does evolve into a canonical miller b NYC hit DC screwjob.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic