• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

8 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Here too. Horrible lightning during storm.

Yeah big rumbles. It’s a mess in my part of Parkton. Hearing trees down all over, up into PA. Neighbors all around us lost trees and limbs. 

13 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

There's a reason why SPC talks about "within 25 miles".  There just aren't many events that pan out other than in very localized places.  We're seeing it here with Westminster and others.  In Fairfax County, we are going to see a small stripe of damage from Manassas to the east, but nothing else.  I also gusted in the 20s and the rain is actually not impressive for how the radar looks.  Big drop bias.

Thought today would be a little more like one of those rare less localized events with the moderate risk but it still probably verified for MD and can’t really complain about not losing power.

Nice little storm, with a decent amount of T&L and winds to maybe 35, but, as another poster noted, nothing like last weekend ... at least MBY. I could see the clouds booking but the winds aloft didn't seem to be transferring to the ground level. Or maybe not, I don't know. Maybe that little cell before the main line prevented it? 

Crazy stuff up in Westminster though.

5 minutes ago, DDweatherman said:

Weird but still getting CG strikes up here every couple mins well behind the storm. Impressive and certainly unusual. 

I think one of them split my neighbors tree. Felt like it came right into my house. I thought the worst was over and I was near a window looking outside. Scared the hell out of me.

4 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Thought today would be a little more like one of those rare less localized events with the moderate risk but it still probably verified for MD and can’t really complain about not losing power.

It definitely underperformed south of DC, there's been close to no storms south of 64

Just now, TSG said:

It definitely underperformed south of DC, there's been no storms south of 64

They should have split that enhanced up into 2 zones. I just wasn’t seeing it. Same thing happened last week. I guess it’s justified though, as guidance couldn’t make up its mind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Radar and lightning shows the line weakened right around DC and then merged and strengthened just east of the city.  Lightning strikes have increased sharply and purples showing up on radar

Yeah that had to be the little cell that popped 20 min or so before the main line. Because that little cell fell apart east of the District. I know weather is more complex than that, but it seems to fit with what occurred inside the Beltway and why this was just another storm here, as opposed to many other places, where it seemed to amply justify the Moderate Risk. But I was semi-blasted Saturday before last, so I don't feel particularly letdown. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Yeah that had to be the little cell that popped 20 min or so before the main line. Because that little cell fell apart east of the District. I know weather is more complex than that, but it seems to fit with what occurred inside the Beltway and why this was just another storm here, as opposed to many other places, where it seemed to amply justify the Moderate Risk. But I was semi-blasted Saturday before last, so I don't feel particularly letdown. 

I figured when my wife and I got caught in a bit of rain from that little popup cell about 20 min before the "main event," that we wouldn't get the full punch from the main event. Having said that, we're getting horizontal rain right now and some CG lightning from what I think is still the main event...but nothing like what I was anticipating from the earlier forecasts.

Currently 70/69. And based on radar....do we get another, less severe round in about an hour?