Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

28 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Our bus driver Ed just told us to "SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!" His garbage barrels in the bus were a constant stream of Canei Wine boxes. Hung over anger issues for sure lol

Our 7th grade bus driver was Sam. Sam treated us like adults. If we wouldn't sit down he'd tell us to "sit the eff down" and if we were being too loud to "shut the eff up" (only, you know, with different words). When the yelling didn't work, he'd tap the brakes and the standees would fall into their seats. We got the message: clear the bags for the aisle, have a kid sit on a skateboard at the back of the bus. Everyone stands up, Sam taps the brakes, the kid goes shooting up the aisle. Physics!

When we got off the bus, Sam would usually tell us to go home and do our homework. If we asked why, he'd grin at us and say "so you don't wind up a bus drivah like me!"

I learned more from Sam that I learned from anyone else that year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s comical how bad his takes are.

I start thinking like the rest of you, I won't be able to forecast. 

@brooklynwx99--a 24 yr old amateur flexin' his new red tag with model graphics we all can see--has been leading you all off a bridge. But like minded as you are, happily off you go.

Aren't you like more than twice his age?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

@brooklynwx99--a 24 yr old amateur flexin' his new red tag with model graphics we all can see--has been leading you all off a bridge, but like minded as you are, happily off you go.

i suppose this is a SE ridge now, too? 

image.png.bc4bfc00b0dabd61012f1ab0aee41996.png

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, ariof said:

Our 7th grade bus driver was Sam. Sam treated us like adults. If we wouldn't sit down he'd tell us to "sit the eff down" and if we were being too loud to "shut the eff up" (only, you know, with different words). When the yelling didn't work, he'd tap the brakes and the standees would fall into their seats. We got the message: clear the bags for the aisle, have a kid sit on a skateboard at the back of the bus. Everyone stands up, Sam taps the brakes, the kid goes shooting up the aisle. Physics!

When we got off the bus, Sam would usually tell us to go home and do our homework. If we asked why, he'd grin at us and say "so you don't wind up a bus drivah like me!"

Oh yeah, we used to get the brake check pretty regularly ourselves! :lol:

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

@brooklynwx99--a 24 yr old amateur flexin' his new red tag with model graphics we all can see--has been leading you all off a bridge. But like minded as you are, happily off you go.

image.jpeg.bc0b5b80a33de60661454bc710942314.jpeg

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Back in the day . . .   
We lived in Fort Kent 1976-85, and in that whole time there were 1.5 days called due to weather.  The full day was due to a blown forecast - it was snowing hard during the late evening but the progged 1-3" probably led the relevant people to think that it would soon quit.  Instead, we had 18" in 9 hours and the next morning all the available plows were opening roads rather than school parking lots.  Six weeks later there was 6" new at sunrise but the forecast was "only" 6-12 so school started as usual.  By noon another 6-8" and it was puking snow, so they sent the kids home after the half day.  All the buses made their runs okay, even to Allagash (30 miles, mostly flat) and Winterville (25, with some brutal hills).  We finished with 26.5", still tops in my experience, and we averaged over 130"/year during our time there.

I'm confident that Fort Kent calls a lot more snow days now.  

After World War 2 an uncle moved to Caribou to get away from the world. He lived there for many years and he could only recall 2 times that school was cancelled. Both times because the school bus doors had frozen closed and they could not be opened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ariof said:

Back in hs we often had the same bus driver for away games.  To say the least he was a character!  Occasionally he would let someone take over the wheel. Now days he'd be on the national news for doing that.  On the way back from the games he'd drive around the city dropping us off at home or close to home to save us from walking home from the hs after the game(s)

We all learned a lot from him. He treated us like adults not kids. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

OP runs gonna OP.  

The same issues remain though, I think people are whistling past the graveyard yet again. The antecedent airmass is garbage and a lot of solutions, even ones that are well offshore, are showing a warm solution.

Marine puke is once again going to be a huge problem; regardless of track.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nothing like a multi day cutoff along the BM in mid Jan showering the region with…showers.

climate be changing....might as well get used to it at this point. We will still get our record blizzard in the sea of warmth, but the sea of warmth for the most part is here to stay

• Weenie 1