• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

I know we have discussed this before, and yeah it’s a little bit of voodoo. But it’s quite remarkable to me how every winter seems to have a tenor. Sometimes it’s not the whole winter and it’s just a stretch of it a.k.a. 2015.

In some winters, things just seem to go right. We’ve had stretches in 2013, 2015 etc when things worked out last minute. Other years it just goes completely wrong like this year. It’s just interesting to me how that happens. I guess that’s just weather and partly related to the long wave pattern. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I dunno this feels like it’s trending toward Euro at the moment. Maybe it will reverse but it better happen pretty soon. 

This is the make or break storm for my trip. If this is a Rainer to Mainer, they won’t be recovering in 4 days before I leave. I don’t care how much snow they will claim to make, if they can even make it after this storm passes.

• Like 1

Fuck this winter and fuck global warming. It’s always either record warmth or normal to slightly below. We can’t catch a damn break, if this winter rats and then next winter is a moderate or stronger El Niño then we will be waiting until 2025 for the next big winter potential. We need the SSW to save winter now. I had a lot of hope for this threat but it keeps trending in the wrong direction on the models.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 5

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This is the make or break storm for my trip. If this is a Rainer to Mainer, they won’t be recovering in 4 days before I leave. I don’t care how much snow they will claim to make, if they can even make it after this storm passes.

Hopefully next weekend turns around, at least for NNE.  We were supposed to go see friends in North Conway next weekend but we might switch it out to presidents weekend pending model trends. 
it would be pretty extraordinary to get rains to Quebec at peak cold climo.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know we have discussed this before, and yeah it’s a little bit of voodoo. But it’s quite remarkable to me how every winter seems to have a tenor. Sometimes it’s not the whole winter and it’s just a stretch of it a.k.a. 2015.

In some winters, things just seem to go right. We’ve had stretches in 2013, 2015 etc when things worked out last minute. Other years it just goes completely wrong like this year. It’s just interesting to me how that happens. I guess that’s just weather and partly related to the long wave pattern. 

You are definitely correct. Hence the saying it snows where it wants to snow. Tenor is a great description 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

If the Canadian happens, then I’m truly sorry because never in a thousand years did I expect them to be totally skunked from like Christmas until next weekend. No way. Let’s hope not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

You joke, but I actually do have a flock of lime green parakeets living in my neighborhood. Probably two dozen of them at least.

Argentinean Monk Parakeets.  Escaped pets that build communal nests which keep them warm enough to survive Winter.   https://brooklynparrots.com/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If the Canadian happens, then I’m truly sorry because never in a thousand years did I expect them to be totally skunked from like Christmas until next weekend. No way. Let’s hope not.

It is what it is, honestly. At that point I’m just hoping the man made snow is good enough to have a few trails lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Argentinean Monk Parakeets.  Escaped pets that build communal nests which keep them warm enough to survive Winter.   https://brooklynparrots.com/

In my 20’s I was in a band and we rehearsed in Brooklyn at my band mates apartment that was on the perimeter of Brooklyn College. These parakeets made huge multi-level nests behind the ballasts of the lights that illuminated the athletic fields. My boy told me the legend was a truck filled with them tipped over during a delivery to a pet store, they escaped and adapted. Pretty cool, something I’ll never forget. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, George001 said:

Fuck this winter and fuck global warming. It’s always either record warmth or normal to slightly below. We can’t catch a damn break, if this winter rats and then next winter is a moderate or stronger El Niño then we will be waiting until 2025 for the next big winter potential. We need the SSW to save winter now. I had a lot of hope for this threat but it keeps trending in the wrong direction on the models.

Hey... Runnawayiceberg & hoarfrosthubb.. leave this guy alone. You guys are two bullies.  Let him have his meltdown... A lot of us are having our own meltdowns and doing it in our own way. Not sure why we find the need to comment negatively or to make a joke or of someone for your benefit. Grow up guys. 

• Weenie 8

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Hey... Runnawayiceberg & hoarfrosthubb.. leave this guy alone. You guys are two bullies.  Let him have his meltdown... A lot of us are having our own meltdowns and doing it in our own way. Not sure why we find the need to comment negatively or to make a joke or of someone for your benefit. Grow up guys. 

Dude calls for blizzards and snow in the warm sector of a low. 

• Haha 1