Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't think it's totally wrong to hold out for March. I mean sure the odds historically aren't great, but they aren't zero. You never know what can really happen moving through February and into March. Something could occur that could totally shake the pattern and we've seen that happen before. Again, the probability is very low, but not zero and that's all that really counts. 

I have 3.5" of snow....my record low dating back to 1956 is 19.9". Considering the awful luck we have had this season, I think we will make up some ground, aside from any strat voodoo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Every winter that starts late .. it’s the worry. When I sense Dec is at risk and then lost.. that’s already a huge negative to overcome. And then you hit Jan 15 and that’s lost. You just don’t come back from that .  This is exactly why I can’t stand the Climo posts in December.  It’s bullshit. Most Times you lose Dec thru Jan 15 .. you lose winter 

But the data says December is not wintry. Especially prior to 12/20.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I truly wouldn't. Your forecasts should have worked out better than it did. There were things at play beyond any model output. Plus... No one has mentioned much about the volcanic blast from last January ( which was one of the biggest in recent history ). I think that really played havoc on the entire world ( both hemispheres ). 

It evens out....I have also had forecasts work out better than they should have. It happens...can't be shy about embracing forecast misses bc they become your ally moving forward and also foster a sense of credibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I still think March has nice potential, but I understand the sentiment and don't blame you.

Well, to be fair…we still Have 3.5 weeks left of January, and a whole month of February before we even get to March.  And I’m just as irritated with this BS as anybody, and I’m not sensing anything good in the near future, but there is still a huge chunk of winter(the majority of it actually) left to play out. 

We may not make average(but it’s certainly not all that impossible to do with the time we have left in SNE), but it feels like a rat that’s for sure at the moment. And average snow seems far off at this moment. Like others have said….just give us one major storm, and then let it Rat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

But at least Dec 2000 was cold and snowy unlike Dec 2022. 

to an extent... certainly colder on the whole... the millennium snow got the interior, particularly the elevated interior, but Boston proper may have taken a goose egg for the month IIRC, and I think there was at least one other big rainstorm.

If we’re seriously looking at 1/20 before a favorable pattern sets in on the models with nothing so far I think it’s time to throw in the towel the next couple years. 2024-2025 has big potential though, we are expected to get a strong Nino next year so we can punt that winter, but following a strong nino is often a strong nina. Strong Ninas after a big nino can be really good due to the left over active stj combined with an active northern branch, leading to multiple big storms. But yeah, that’s the main reason why I had a huge melt, I strongly believe next year will rat due to a strong to super El Niño.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, George001 said:

If we’re seriously looking at 1/20 before a favorable pattern sets in on the models with nothing so far I think it’s time to throw in the towel the next couple years. 2024-2025 has big potential though, we are expected to get a strong Nino next year so we can punt that winter, but following a strong nino is often a strong nina. Strong Ninas after a big nino can be really good due to the left over active stj combined with an active northern branch, leading to multiple big storms.

There is no reason at all to really believe anything like that.  I mean, we can’t tell what two weeks from now might do, let alone a year, and now two years?  This is quite silly. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, radarman said:

to an extent... certainly colder on the whole... the millennium snow got the interior, particularly the elevated interior, but Boston proper may have taken a goose egg for the month IIRC, and I think there was at least one other big rainstorm.

That Jan 2001 pattern you showed highlights how subtle differences can make a large impact on sensible wx. Jan 2001 wasn’t cold but it wasn’t warm either. The pacific wasn’t quite as hostile. That ridging in Canada was displaced a little west too. I think Jan ‘87 was somewhat similar as well. Big ridge over Canada but we weren’t torching because we had some subtle features a bit more favorable in both ATL and PAC. The first 3 weeks of Jan ‘87 were actually semi-mild but we just got crushed with snow because the storm track was favorable. We lived in that +2 to +3 temp departure zone. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Every winter that starts late .. it’s the worry. When I sense Dec is at risk and then lost.. that’s already a huge negative to overcome. And then you hit Jan 15 and that’s lost. You just don’t come back from that .  This is exactly why I can’t stand the Climo posts in December.  It’s bullshit. Most Times you lose Dec thru Jan 15 .. you lose winter 

Look at last winter. It was crap until we got into those for a few weeks of February where it was pretty awesome. I doubt highly that you wouldn't jump back on the bandwagon if we were together. Great couple of weeks of some good winter.

Sucks balls, but if we can get a few weeks at least of a solid winter season or one big storm, that would make it up for all of us I think. And I think you'll be part of that group too, like the rest of us

12 minutes ago, George001 said:

If we’re seriously looking at 1/20 before a favorable pattern sets in on the models with nothing so far I think it’s time to throw in the towel the next couple years. 2024-2025 has big potential though, we are expected to get a strong Nino next year so we can punt that winter, but following a strong nino is often a strong nina. Strong Ninas after a big nino can be really good due to the left over active stj combined with an active northern branch, leading to multiple big storms. But yeah, that’s the main reason why I had a huge melt, I strongly believe next year will rat due to a strong to super El Niño.

Next winter will be good assuming a healthy Nino. Its not going to be a super event.

Take a time out.

I really think what makes things worse is we can't even really buy light snow events...forget getting big winter storms. I don't know the statistics on this, but our years which are considered above-average is it due to big storms, a ton of smaller storms, or a combination of both? But we can't even buy several 2-4'' events. We can't even get snow flurries. 

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

High pressure better on That run

That high was 1028 mb, Allowed the SLP to get a little further east before coming north, Like i said earlier, I think someone is going to get crushed with this if we can hold on to some cold, Its going to be a juicy system.