Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s kinda funny I haven’t even looked at anything past 90 hours yet. I’ve seen enough posts to know it goes on to show a snowstorm but I’m still parsing the 72-90 hour panels and comparing with the euro to try to figure out what’s causing the divergence and see if I can ascertain which progression is more likely.  The details “after” are less important since they won’t be correct at that range anyways. But one progression gives us a legit chance at a big snow and the other does not. So figuring that out is all I care about right now.  Wish I knew the biases and tendencies of the new GFS. Dumping too much energy into the west is an old school euro bias but I don’t know if that’s true anymore either. 

The lead shortwave that goes through the Lakes is pretty key obviously.  Want that strong, separated, and moving east to get trapped under the Baffin NAO ridge.  

• Like 6

Just now, WxUSAF said:

The lead shortwave that goes through the Lakes is pretty key obviously.  Want that strong, separated, and moving east to get trapped under the Baffin NAO ridge.  

Yeah, that is a key player in all this. Without that thing, or it behaves differently, the whole thing falls apart and we get a 2-4er, mix, or a total whiff. 

I don't think we get a cutter this time, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, eurojosh said:

...And a (mostly) rain storm for BOS?  :lol:

Not fully buying this solution yet.

Anytime a model spits out something unprecedented, you should take it with a heaping dose of salt. However, we do have near record -AO, -EPO, and -NAO…

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

It’s kinda funny I haven’t even looked at anything past 90 hours yet. I’ve seen enough posts to know it goes on to show a snowstorm but I’m still parsing the 72-90 hour panels and comparing with the euro to try to figure out what’s causing the divergence and see if I can ascertain which progression is more likely.  The details “after” are less important since they won’t be correct at that range anyways. But one progression gives us a legit chance at a big snow and the other does not. So figuring that out is all I care about right now.  Wish I knew the biases and tendencies of the new GFS. Dumping too much energy into the west is an old school euro bias but I don’t know if that’s true anymore either. 

Yep. Take a look at newest CMC run and put it in motion and watch our tpv feature. It heads down the EPO ridge and then literally just stops in its tracks in the NW. Guess we’ll find out soon…

I was bored this morning and went back to see which model did better with the current ULL at day 6. GFS was way more accurate.

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

PV never makes it eastward on the GEM....the whole thing happens pretty early in the run....like look at 84h at H5 on GEM vs GFS....GFS already diving the PV lobe ESE with some ridging on the west coast while GEM has no ridging there and the PV is just going to park in W Canada with nothing to pin it under the NAO block.

FWIW, the NAM at 84h looks like the GFS and not the GEM.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:
19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

PV never makes it eastward on the GEM....the whole thing happens pretty early in the run....like look at 84h at H5 on GEM vs GFS....GFS already diving the PV lobe ESE with some ridging on the west coast while GEM has no ridging there and the PV is just going to park in W Canada with nothing to pin it under the NAO block.

Wonder if the NAM on Sunday will be something to look at if we don't have more clarity by then

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:
20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Appears that the GEFS is moving to support the Op.  Looking good so far. 

• Like 4