Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

this is the difference between the two outcomes. everything after this is gravy

the GFS has a much more amplified vort diving out of AK... this means that it travels slower and allows the TPV to get out ahead of it, leading to the two-piece solution

the ECMWF has it much flatter, which allows it to catch up and mingle with the TPV, leading to the farther W solution with very little confluence

which one is right? there really isn't a way to tell at this point, but we will know in the next 48 hours. I'm sure that we will see some EPS members that amp this up like the GFS and some that flatten it like the ECMWF, leading to considerable spread

ezgif-4-08d4bbe7f5.thumb.gif.5b6988186bd9a3725288cfc04a5d90e0.gif

Good post.  The other thing I noticed was the difference between the two with the energy in the SW and how each one handles that.  Euro hangs it back while GFS has it moving east which I think helps pull the piece of TPV we need.  Correct me if I'm wrong

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Energy is more consolidated and the placement of the ridge out west sucks more at 12z. But what causes that?

The GFS is weaker with the vortex in western Canada. That allows it to split and some of it to slide east.  All other guidance is much stronger and that allows it to resist the flow, cut off, and just spin there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

Good post.  The other thing I noticed was the difference between the two with the energy in the SW and how each one handles that.  Euro hangs it back while GFS has it moving east which I think helps pull the piece of TPV we need.  Correct me if I'm wrong

you're correct about the movement of the energy in the SW... just not sure if it really has any impact compared to the other factors! good question tho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Now see I don't understand their psychology...They are not nearly as starved for snow as we are (and I'd bet their White Christmas is more recent...and yet they meltdown? Lol 

Maybe we're just used to losing storms modeled 7 days out so we're not that surprised.

• Like 1

Just now, paxpatriot said:

Given the early differences between the GFS and Euro, we should get a fold-em soon from one of them, correct?

You'd think given the PV changes out west occur inside 84 that yeah probably....the coastal low idea is probably gone but there is a chance this just ends up a strung out POS still...I am not sold the wild amped Op Euro idea is right...it may in the end trend to a FROPA but this most likely can no longer be an EC snow event unless somehow the W Canada PV evolution today is simply a blip by the Euro/CMC 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

You'd think given the PV changes out west occur inside 84 that yeah probably....the coastal low idea is probably gone but there is a chance this just ends up a strung out POS still...I am not sold the wild amped Op Euro idea is right...it may in the end trend to a FROPA but this most likely can no longer be an EC snow event unless somehow the W Canada PV evolution today is simply a blip by the Euro/CMC 

Well based on what you said there, many of us had the best hour and a half of our lives between the GFS and the Euro...it was fun for sure. 

• Haha 1