Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Maybe this will morph into a colder and farther S version of yesterday's system. I mean, that wouldn't be a terrible thing....atmospheric memory and all those other  superstitious myths.

Unless the GFS digs in and scores the coup of the century, this may be the best case scenario... cutter with redevelopment over CAD with a small thump to dry slot. I'll take it if it the models compromise to that scenario.

• Like 1

I know the gfs is on an island right now, but it’s the new King, and to see the GFS OP and GEFS in line on a key feature 54ish hours out is enough for me to still feel there’s a decent chance it’s right.

The euro’s wheelhouse is more in the mid range which is where it showed a similar evolution to what the GFS is currently showing in regards to how it handled the energy out west. If the euro is indeed doing its usual song and dance of hanging back too much energy out west in the 54-84 hour range, then it’s plausible that the result downstream at D7 (the final evolution of the storm) is incorrect.

Of course, the GFS could end up being wrong and could eventually cave to the other “camp” in the coming 2-3 days, but if we’re strictly going off performance in the 48-84h range, I’d take the GFS over the Euro given it’s success over the past year since it was upgraded. The GFS’s consistency at 5h & 500mb from run to run has been pretty remarkable, and having support from its ensemble only bolsters it’s credibility IMO

Anything’s possible, so we take this a day at a time. If the 00z gfs and tomorrows 12z gfs continue its current look, I have a feeling other models play catch-up in due time.

• Like 2

Um, it has? From this afternoons LWX AFD:

Broad, highly anomalous ridging will build into the Arctic, sending

a deep upper low south into the northern Plains, Great Lakes and

Ohio River Valley by Thursday. The collision of this cold upper low

with warmer temperatures near the Gulf Stream will likely generate a

strong area of low pressure in the vicinity of the East Coast.

Details in track, strength, and timing remain uncertain, and overall

confidence remains low; however, it should be noted that most long

range guidance has been unusually consistent in hinting at a

potential wintry precipitation scenario late next week.

&&

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I am hoping it means that the 18z runs will start converging toward the GFS…

the NBM seems to ingest a helluva a lot of data from models I've never even heard of -- but I'm pretty confident its not getting access to future runs/has predictive value for the next cycle. Think this is (unfortunately) just a byproduct of a HECS GFS run being added to the blend. It even has the exact same stripe of max snow totals 

11 minutes ago, yoda said:

Um, it has? From this afternoons LWX AFD:

Broad, highly anomalous ridging will build into the Arctic, sending

a deep upper low south into the northern Plains, Great Lakes and

Ohio River Valley by Thursday. The collision of this cold upper low

with warmer temperatures near the Gulf Stream will likely generate a

strong area of low pressure in the vicinity of the East Coast.

Details in track, strength, and timing remain uncertain, and overall

confidence remains low; however, it should be noted that most long

range guidance has been unusually consistent in hinting at a

potential wintry precipitation scenario late next week.

&&

Yeah, pretty much. Every single one has shown snow for the region at some point.

The EURO may not be what we want...but it still consistently has at least a little snow for everyone.

The CMC started this whole mess (first to show 12"+)

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

What's the 18z based off of if none of the 18z models have ran yet?

Think of the NBM as a cycle or two behind the deterministic guidance. The 18z NBM has the 12z GFS/GEFS, but still has the 00z ECMWF/EPS and some 06z guidance. Full ECWMF 12z guidance is not within the NBM until its 21z run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

Just now, Disc said:

Think of the NBM as a cycle or two behind the deterministic guidance. The 18z NBM has the 12z GFS/GEFS, but still has the 00z ECMWF/EPS and some 06z guidance. Full ECWMF 12z guidance is not within the NBM until its 21z run.

Thanks for the info. Sounds useless in this scenario 

6 minutes ago, Disc said:

That makes sense thanks. So it’s telling us we should have been celebrating 12 hours ago and we already know it’s going to be depressing at 0z lol. Nice model.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

I personally couldn't ever care less about what the Icon, Ukie, or frankly even the CMC show. But when they're all in agreement with the Euro, that's a very bad sign and trend. One is going to move towards the others at 0z tonight...

Not being a Deb, but I think we are quickly losing the big MECS scenario in our regions. When was the last time numerous guidance moved almost in unison away from a MECS/HECS then subsequently moved back towards the single model holding out? It isn't common to see it play out like that. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not being a Deb, but I think we are quickly losing the big MECS scenario in our regions. When was the last time numerous guidance moved almost in unison away from a MECS/HECS then subsequently moved back towards the single model holding out? It isn't common to see it play out like that. 

Jan 2000 guidance had that hecs from range then lost it. But they never actually brought it back until it was snowing lol. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Jan 2000 guidance had that hecs from range then lost it. But they never actually brought it back until it was snowing lol. 

That was an out-to-sea scenario, and then it turned north at the last minute. 

I remember Doug Hill saying "okay, I'm a little suspicious, this seems to be moving north not east..."

We're not going to do the reverse unless there's a redevelopment scenario.

The model disparity in the handling of the TPV underscores the importance of having negative height anomalies underneath the NAO ridge in order for it to act as an effective block, encouraging a favorable storm track underneath. Fill that area in with a ridge and it becomes largely impotent and of little use to achieve the desired outcome.

1671775200-6D9qKNX9lRs.png

1671764400-Gqil2UTKEFw.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1