• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

due to the lack of cold air with climo working against us, we need a big slow moving nor’easter that creates its own cold air via dynamic cooling to have a shot at snow. The pattern on the models does not support that, the NAO is positive and the western ridge is farther west than ideal. That supports the idea of the low running inland with limited secondary redevelopment (Miller B). The western ridge is quite strong so it’s possible the storm and trends more amplified, which would increase the QPF. Even if that happens though, that would just mean more rain for us. That map posted above saying my area has a 33% chance of wintry weather seems way too high. NNE could cash in but for us in SNE we probably need to wait a month or so.

Rear view mirror forecasting. Damn those initial conditions and those useless weeklies. Oops :popcorn:

Phase 8 --> Phase 5 and 6 next week. The big cold already blowing its load out west.  We get the transient remnants. 

A "cold" front takes us to normal and then we back to +AN.

Rain for everyone except the far interior. 

Mowvember - nicer lawns in Nov than May. 

SST's in GOM still in mid 50's. 

Finish +10?

combined_image.png

51 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Where does Kevin find this shit? 

Take a look at his twitter. It’s honestly painful, just unreal. All the pro mets rip him apart. I’ve finally found someone worse than JB and Henry Margusity, I didn’t think it was actually possible but that clown takes the cake, hands down

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Take a look at his twitter. It’s honestly painful, just unreal. All the pro mets rip him apart. I’ve finally found someone worse than JB and Henry Margusity, I didn’t think it was actually possible but that clown takes the cake, hands down

By "It uses topography ", he means "I"...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Review mirror forecasting. Damn those initial conditions and those useless weeklies. Oops :popcorn:

Phase 8 --> Phase 5 and 6 next week. The big cold already blowing its load out west.  We get the transient remnants. 

A "cold" front takes us to normal and then we back to +AN.

Rain for everyone except the far interior. 

Mowvember - nicer lawns in Nov than May. 

SST's in GOM still in mid 50's. 

Finish +10?

combined_image.png

So CONUS wide torch next week? 

NAM is sufficient in the outer grid intervals already. ‘Sporting a -6C, 0 and +6, at 800, 900, and mid BL respectively. Under a sub 540dm hydrostat as far S as LGA.

Plenty cold enough at least ~60 hrs that if any dynamics were in play at that time ( which there is not .. just sayn’) that 43 SFC T gets obliterated  

Caveats are aplenty…. 1, it’s the NAM.

Heh, sarcasm aside, the lack of cryosphere in the area is likely why-for the +6. Hefty lapse rate. But those numbers aren’t hugely unreasonable when considering the backdrop synoptics ongoing as we transition later Sunday onward … The NAM may correct a little less cold as typically does but around 540 with a 900 to 800 -2 mean would still be sufficient 

So that’s the lay in early week - most likely  … question is, how much so does that air mass rot further before minoring low passage mid week ? I’m noticing a tendency hold more PP draped over C-NNE, a trend that could help for those hoping 

Also, where did this idea of arctic cold and snows come from? I even specifically said that is not happening. 
It’s a change to something that can support a snow event for NNE and interior….and perhaps more widespread. Somehow that got twisted into saying we are turning into Denali.  It’s an overall BN look but we know when highs are still in the 50s in spots…it’s not a January cold spell. Nobody ever said that. But highs in low 40s with low dews can support a winter event inland. That’s how I view this anyways. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Also, where did this idea of arctic cold and snows come from? I even specifically said that is not happening. 
It’s a change to something that can support a snow event for NNE and interior….and perhaps more widespread. Somehow that got twisted into saying we are turning into Denali.  It’s an overall BN look but we know when highs are still in the 50s in spots…it’s not a January cold spell. Nobody ever said that. But highs in low 40s with low dews can support a winter event inland. That’s how I view this anyways. 

Shaping narratives is the thing on here the past 5-8 years. 

We’ll run the numbers when the next 2 weeks is done. My guess is the next two weeks (after tomorrow…so from 11/13-11/26) average well below average temps. Prob somewhere in the -6 to -10 range. 

You can’t really lie/spin effectively if empirical evidence is opposing your narrative. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We’ll run the numbers when the next 2 weeks is done. My guess is the next two weeks (after tomorrow…so from 11/13-11/26) average well below average temps. Prob somewhere in the -6 to -10 range. 

You can’t really lie/spin effectively if empirical evidence is opposing your narrative. 

I feel like you totally can

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I don’t understand it. Looks like a BN look to me. But people are acting like everyone called for highs in the 20s with blizzards. 

47 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

I feel like you totally can

Sure you can try but you’ll look ridiculous if the empirical evidence doesn’t back you up. 

16 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

except it's not the weenies (well, maybe 1 or 2). in this case, it's a met saying that people are calling for that

popefalling.thumb.jpg.30a189f231e25d631d2c25476e57438c.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Heh. It’s normal crowd physical group theory lol

… give it enough time they’ll be speaking an entirely new language, too   and in that new vernacular they’ll have codified 72 different words for snow