Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Always good to get the first fantasy map out of your system. When you hit up GGEM we know you are all in.

Need to take advantage of it at 200 hours out before TauntonBlizz debbie’s a suppression jackpot.  But maybe all those inches received from b*tching only applied to rain during Stein.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When I was growing up in NNJ in the 1950s, I expected a snowstorm in early December-it occurred pretty much every year (culminating in the 1960 blizzard) for awhile which colored my thinking.

1957 through 1963 was a pretty good period for early December snow in NNJ. Pretty anomalous in the historical record. 

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s some Dec 2003… 18”+ in BTV and Weymouth.  Just everyone seems to win.

10FB84BE-E9CD-4D2D-82CB-0B87AC9A1AAA.jpeg.39631309fcde5b269b289d25c2298cf7.jpeg

I had some of the most insane mesoscale stuff I’ve ever seen in that. We had about 6” of snow before a flip to rain during Saturday. That night flipped to a 34F paste at my house on west side of Marshfield. Was not really accumulating yet. Went to ex GF who lived at the beach and it was driving rain. However, the walls were shaking with 70mph winds so that was cool lol. 
It flipped to snow that night with a few inches there. Got to my parents 5 miles away to trees down and about 10” otg.  6 miles NW in Rockland they had 20”. Insane difference in about 8-10 miles. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I think this was the one when the Pats played and the stands were full of snow and they were throwing snow up to the sound of the music. 

Patriots had snow games in back to back weeks that season. The December 14, 2003 storm was a solid front ender that got them during game time. 

Then of course the AFC championship game against the Colts was in light snow. A week earlier was like 0F in the divisional round against the Titans. January 2004 cold snaps were epic. 

Then the next year another snowstorm during the divisional round game against the Colts again. I remember Corey Dillon running all over them in the snow that game. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Patriots had snow games in back to back weeks that season. The December 14, 2003 storm was a solid front ender that got them during game time. 

Then of course the AFC championship game against the Colts was in light snow. A week earlier was like 0F in the divisional round against the Titans. January 2004 cold snaps were epic. 

Then the next year another snowstorm during the divisional round game against the Colts again. I remember Corey Dillon running all over them in the snow that game. 

Haha yeah it was like a 4-5” event iirc but a great game. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

They had some epic games in snow and cold in the early 2000's, I think it was pretty cold for that Colts game in the snow too.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Timing is everything.  But to a young weenie confirmation bias can last a long time.

Oh for sure. There’s a reason me/Ray/Scooter’s generation used to think 3-6” was an amazing snow event. We grew up in dogshit winters during our formative years. Esp that crucial age 8-12 period. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s some Dec 2003… 18”+ in BTV and Weymouth.  Just everyone seems to win.

10FB84BE-E9CD-4D2D-82CB-0B87AC9A1AAA.jpeg.39631309fcde5b269b289d25c2298cf7.jpeg

I miss those maps. I used to love it when Kocin would come on and say “I think we need to take the numbers up for Hartford”. 

It feels like Region wide obliterations are hard to come by these days.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When I was growing up in NNJ in the 1950s, I expected a snowstorm in early December-it occurred pretty much every year (culminating in the 1960 blizzard) for awhile which colored my thinking.

That’s exactly why many of us expect winter to start in late Nov . Growing up more often than not Nov and Dec had snow . In this current climate it basically can’t happen . It’s mindset and trying to pull away from what we once knew. Not easy to do.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I had some of the most insane mesoscale stuff I’ve ever seen in that. We had about 6” of snow before a flip to rain during Saturday. That night flipped to a 34F paste at my house on west side of Marshfield. Was not really accumulating yet. Went to ex GF who lived at the beach and it was driving rain. However, the walls were shaking with 70mph winds so that was cool lol. 
It flipped to snow that night with a few inches there. Got to my parents 5 miles away to trees down and about 10” otg.  6 miles NW in Rockland they had 20”. Insane difference in about 8-10 miles. 

Wow ..Walls shaking that nite ...hmm ..from the wind You say

love that mesoscale stuff - its awesome to drive thru, can’t stand being in driving rain if there is snow nearby 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That event was a monster up north too.

It was my first year at UVM, and BTV picked up like 55” that month of December, with 100”+ at the ski area summits.

December 5-6, then 14-15 were both widespread 18-24”+.  Then there was another one right before Christmas with double digit thunder snow paste job.

I assumed that was just how it was up there, ha.  My first winter month in N.VT and the atmosphere was just taking dumps on us.

How naive I was, ha. Then in later years like 2004-05 I found out what suppression was :lol:.

Here was the 12/14-15/03 event.

C1A6A708-C0BE-4B09-9649-F693A3066D15.jpeg.ec56760a72401f04aa73f825f89bae0b.jpeg

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I miss those maps. I used to love it when Kocin would come on and say “I think we need to take the numbers up for Hartford”. 

It feels like Region wide obliterations are hard to come by these days.

I’m with you… the Weather Channel forecast maps back in the day were the holy grail.  Seeing that 12”+ color was as invigorating as anything lol.  Then wait for the Local on the 8’s to see the huge snowflake with his little buddy and just the word “Snow” under it.  Like a drug in middle school back then… just wait another 10 minutes to get the next hit when the Local on the 8’s starts up again.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’m with you… the Weather Channel forecast maps back in the day were the holy grail.  Seeing that 12”+ color was as invigorating as anything lol.  Then wait for the Local on the 8’s to see the huge snowflake with his little buddy and just the word “Snow” under it.  Like a drug in middle school back then… just wait another 10 minutes to get the next hit when the Local on the 8’s starts up again.

I used to like Don Kents map with the snowflakes he made on the chalkboard or whatever kind of   board it was.