Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,179
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    DClerico
    Newest Member
    DClerico
    Joined

Tracking the Tropics


40/70 Benchmark
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Why would they ever build like that? That's just asking for trouble

 

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

 

Ian will be a good lesson in why you don't build coastal cities on sea level marshlands.  

:flood:

 

I fear many will turn their backs on such a lesson. Their faith will be in the rebuild call by the greatest of Gods, the almighty $. Stay well, as always….

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, rclab said:

 

I fear many will turn their backs on such a lesson. Their faith will be in the rebuild call by the greatest of Gods, the almighty $. Stay well, as always….

and this will likely be "upgraded" to Cat 5 in post like they always are at this strength..... Andrew, Michael and now Ian.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cyclone-68 said:

How can the pressure STILL be dropping in this now that it’s made landfall?

Well.. It made a landfall.on one of the islands.. Not the mainland.. Second.. It won't lose strength quickly as Florida is so flat with waters still in the Gulf and the Atlantic to draw from. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A few days ago I didn't expect it to be a cat 4/5... I expected very high storm surge and freshwater flooding by copious rain.   The winds will add loads to the misery

Intensity forecasting is a nightmare, no doubt.  I went 110mph LF back on Monday, which I thought was aggressive at the time, and it ended up extremely conservative

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been watching the waves from the Lana Kai hotel webcam this morning until it went offline about  3 or 4 hours ago. At that time, it appeared the waves were at the building line. These twitter feeds prove what I suspected. You look at where FMB is located in relation to the eye/eyewall and you can only imagine how high the storm surge must be. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I had been watching the waves from the Lana Kai hotel webcam this morning until it went offline about  3 or 4 hours ago. At that time, it appeared the waves were at the building line. These twitter feeds prove what I suspected. You look at where FMB is located in relation to the eye/eyewall and you can only imagine how high the storm surge must be. 

The worst of it is likely just beginning for Fort Myers proper and Cape Coral. Winds are finally starting to push water up the river (along with the pressure related surge), and as winds come around to more westerly it should really start to shove water into those canals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The worst of it is likely just beginning for Fort Myers proper and Cape Coral. Winds are finally starting to push water up the river (along with the pressure related surge), and as winds come around to more westerly it should really start to shove water into those canals.

I was thinking that as well. My SIL has a house about 10 miles northeast of FMB and although that may sound like a lot, it's only about 15' above sea level and all those canals, who knows how far inland the surge/flooding will get. Even though they'reabout 15' above sea level, the FEMA 100 year storm is 15'. Probably designed to be an inch over flood zone. FEMA going to go broke. Kinda reminds me of Sandy. This one is going to be costly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...