Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I meant NWS GYX. Their NOWdata site lists Farmington as 100/65 and 99/M for 9/22-23 although I'm aware that the raw forms list 9/23 as 99/78.

Thanks.  I thought one of us was going crazy.  And that "M" makes more sense than the 78.  9/24 had a max of 78 (the other sites in my previous post were also in the 70s) and I've wondered whether the low for the 23rd wasn't observed so they plugged in the next day's high.  I need to revise my data.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Thanks.  I thought one of us was going crazy.  And that "M" makes more sense than the 78.  9/24 had a max of 78 (the other sites in my previous post were also in the 70s) and I've wondered whether the low for the 23rd wasn't observed so they plugged in the next day's high.  I need to revise my data.

The raw form definitely has 78F, but it all seems a little over the top.

farm1895.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still can't believe CON got 3 consecutive record lows in September 2020. That month has been the hardest to get record lows the past couple decades.

No real cheapies either. It was almost 4 straight...28, 27, 27, 27...but the last day the record was 25F. I even pulled 3 straight freezes here.

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

Do you have any sources for CDD data?

I ran some numbers on my house cooling load this month and my numbers are showing the CDD's are close to double of HVN's average August CDD which would be unprecedented.

I'm at 390 CDD's with HVN's average being 228 for August. I will either exceed or come close to doubling the amount of CDD's here. 

F6 climo data on NWS ORH and BDR

Screenshot_20220829-133206_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220829-133310_Chrome.jpg

Hmmm ...

Seems SPC has been playing catch-up with this convection signal shooting out ahead of the "Tokage cool down"/amplitude and front. 

They currently have the southern Lakes in an ENH hashing, also... have bumped tomorrow to MRGL just west of the I-95 corridor.

I'm not abundantly sure they won't have to promote that yet more east and/or elevate a stripe to SLGT...   Timing is a limit or a help, depending...it's sort of an event moving at the rate of the transient trough sweep through the area so it's possibly spanning more than a single period.   

12z NAM grid has .11" at Logan Wed by 18z with -3 LIs, torrid DPs and still SW trajectories.  Fuzzy for now

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lalaland goofus cancels the growing season in NNE.

Not to miss the joke like a deliciously tedious spectrum annoyance ..but, shouldn't that be about over up there anyway?   

N. NE should be nearing max color in 2 weeks, right?  

Actually - what are the numbers on that shit.   I thought it was like Sept 15 across the N drape of VT-NH-ME ...then Oct 15 nearing Worcester ...etc. 

But around here, ... tomatoes is all I have ever had really growing after Aug 15 ... maybe peppers when I want the bells to turn red

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to miss the joke like a deliciously tedious spectrum annoyance ..but, shouldn't that be about over up there anyway?   

Actually - what are the numbers on that shit.   I thought it was like Sept 15 across the N drape of VT-NH-ME ...then Oct 15 nearing Worcester ...etc. 

But around here, ... tomatoes is all I have ever had really growing after Aug 15 ... maybe peppers when I want the bells to turn red

Sure...I never said it was ahead of normal. Maybe it's a little early based on the new normals, but nothing absurd. The average first 32F at the BML and HIE ASOS sites is 9/18 and 9/14 respectively. The ASOS sites tend to run cooler than the surrounding area on rad nights though.

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Foliage or first freeze?

9DE2A65F-A00B-4B52-9E51-2A1808CB7BC0.thumb.png.66da35f339eebf08f9ff2cd671020fc6.png

1FBB7978-B3D1-46E7-AEC6-DF1EF89542F7.thumb.png.fc7051f706b40a219b23b15ffb8a5cb4.png

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Foliage or first freeze?

Yeah I'm not being very good about this today lol... uh neither?

I was just meaning in general, farmers or gardeners or enthusiasts et al, just sort of don't bother by this time over that region up there.  More along that, rather than climate hard freeze or just a frost, or just 40s-hating plant gradations and stuff.   I mean you can grow if it doesn't harm the plant in question.    

It's been weird in recent years.  Like warm enough to grow toms right into early November, provided you miss the foot of snow that's 'never happened before' in on the 20th of october

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

The raw form definitely has 78F, but it all seems a little over the top.

farm1895.png

@tamarack

I just looked at this again and noticed the 8am and 8pm temps given. Unless there were storms both days it seems strange to have 2 straight highs near 100° and then 8pm temps all a hair under 80°. I think those low to mid 90s you showed from other sites look more reasonable. 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

@tamarack

I just looked at this again and noticed the 8am and 8pm temps given. Unless there were storms both days it seems strange to have 2 straight highs near 100° and then 8pm temps all a hair under 80°. I think those low to mid 90s you showed from other sites look more reasonable. 

I think the low-mid 60s minima from the other sites are more reasonable as well.  Only when one looks at NYC can similar maxima be encountered, as Central Park recorded lows of 77/75/76 for 9/21-23/1895.  The first 2 remain records but 9/23/1970 had a low of 77 - was humid, too.  Farther east in Maine, Orono didn't get the heat until the 22nd (21st: 78) when it hit 97, then 93 on the 23rd, followed by cooler temps 24-on.

Addressing the first frost subject, the average and median date for first 32 or below is Sept 18.  Last year it came on Oct 24, which was 18 days later than any other year here and only the 2nd in which 1st frost didn't arrive in Sept.  Moved avg/med a full day later.