Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Reading Bryan Norcross' book on Andrew to kill some time until things pick up...so far, so good.

I watched him all night that night. Like Katrina people especially media had no idea what the damage was going to be like. People with our knowledge immediately knew what sunrise would bring. 

• Like 1

Not well versed in SNE tropical climo but what's the latest on record we had a tropical system either make landfall (say NJ on north) or come close enough to bring significant impact? I would wager that our chances for a landfalling system probably diminish quite a bit moving into the fall because we start getting more frequent and stronger cold fronts so there would be a higher likelihood to deflect storms east. 

19 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Not well versed in SNE tropical climo but what's the latest on record we had a tropical system either make landfall (say NJ on north) or come close enough to bring significant impact? I would wager that our chances for a landfalling system probably diminish quite a bit moving into the fall because we start getting more frequent and stronger cold fronts so there would be a higher likelihood to deflect storms east. 

Sandy was the only one I could think of late..and that ended up landfalling south of Atlantic city - so doesn't count. 

Irene, Bob, Carol, were late August

Gloria, 1938 were Mid late-September

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Reading Bryan Norcross' book on Andrew to kill some time until things pick up...so far, so good.

I was hoping 91L would produce and come close to the east coast still holding out hope but not looking good now.. on vacation to the 11th so I would go anywhere.. 

27 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Sandy was the only one I could think of late..and that ended up landfalling south of Atlantic city - so doesn't count. 

It certainly is always possible I'm sure to get a landfall moving into September and perhaps even early October, but I would figure with increased troughs/fronts you start just adding additional complications into the mix. Of course...you can always get a scenario in which the timing works perfectly of having a cane coming up the coast while a trough is moving across the OV. Would be like a similar scenario to what we had a few years back...and I can't remember the name now :lol: I think it began with an I?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I see 70s there? Low 80s is unheard of.

The water temps in the harbors and protected areas of the sound is in the low 80s. 

This is the sensor out In the middle of the sound at the entrance to the New Haven Harbor..

noaanosco-opswater-tempe (7).jpeg

1 minute ago, BrianW said:

The water temps in the harbors and protected areas of the sound is in the low 80s. 

This is the sensor out In the middle of the sound at the entrance to the New Haven Harbor..

noaanosco-opswater-tempe (7).jpeg

The ones on the NDBC site are all in the 70s with some upper 70s. Obviously still very warm. 

10 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The ones on the NDBC site are all in the 70s with some upper 70s. Obviously still very warm. 

I'm using this link.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/coastal-water-temperature-guide/natl.html

Look at New London. Normal water temperatures are usually 70-71. They hit 78.5 yesterday and that sensor I believe is also out on the entrance to the harbor. 

Its been so warm here my water company sent an email recently that the resovoirs are so warm you might experience warm tap water. I checked my tap water temperature the other day and it was 78 degrees. 

noaanosco-opswater-tempe (10).jpeg

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

How deep are the sensors measuring? The surface of the water certainly may be in the lower 80's but how deep does that extend?

It's right near HVN. Probably shallow and loaded with warm river water and crap from the city. Regardless, waters are warm down there.

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

How deep are the sensors measuring? The surface of the water certainly may be in the lower 80's but how deep does that extend?

On my friends boat the water temperature sensor is on the bottom of the boat attached to the depth sensor. So its measuring the top maybe foot or so of surface water.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's right near HVN. Probably shallow and loaded with warm river water and crap from the city. Regardless, waters are warm down there.

Waters are definitely running extremely warm...that's for sure. Probably still some room too to warm a bit more. I'm sure there's going to be a time coming soon where water temps in the sound do get near and above 80 and that's going to lead to a lot of problems...not just with influences on weather either.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah. I'm referring to shallow protected harbors like this where my friends boat is.

Screenshot-20220829-095345-Gallery.jpg

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The Mass Bay buoy off Cape Ann is running at the top of its range of mean for the last 20 years at 1 m, but is also very warm at 20 m and 50 m. Unfortunately I can't get the same data for Long Island Sound.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The Mass Bay buoy off Cape Ann is running at the top of its range of mean for the last 20 years at 1 m, but is also very warm at 20 m and 50 m. Unfortunately I can't get the same data for Long Island Sound.

Waters have been near 70 there last several summers. 

13 hours ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Clown map temps. That would be rough for the kids in school. 

D9DF0519-9D92-48E0-BF5E-C0293D137B11.png

heh... yeah - right.

I would wonder if 103 on September 7, might be the greatest climate relative standard deviation temperature ever recorded in New England. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Hazel produced surprisingly strong winds in NE for an Oct storm that made landfall in NC.  IIRC, BTV recorded their (then) strongest wind from that 'cane.  In NNJ our home was plastered with leaf salad by Hazel, a phenomenon I've seen only twice, and the other was with tender mid-June leaves (1975 at Maine's Donnell Pond), not tough old October ones.