• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2022 Thread

weatherwiz

There was a really good one back in the early 2000’s.  Maybe in January?   Several per minute for a while on a clear night

November 2001 was the Leonid meteor storm. One every several seconds just before dawn…in fact, some visible even in morning twilight, Several of us from the Museum of Science Planetarium (where Ibstill work) drove to the top of Pack Monadnock to see it. There were also sub-storm (but much more active than typical Leonid activity) showers in Nov. 1999 and 2000. There were end-of the world calibre storms from the Leonids also in 1833 and 1897.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The backdoor is way overrated. No reason  to spend so much time on it

Looks like it slams back screen doors, snapping flags and knocking 14 F off your temps in the first 1/2 hour of passage ~2 pm on Tuesday.

..Actually where you are it may be less pulsed or noticeable like that...but a ENE breeze over the canopy and noticeably cooler during that time frame, nonetheless.  NYC by dusk..  

Up here, we're done by 9 am ... Worcester by 10am.

Wed morning, everyone dawns under slate gray Labradorian vomit in an unsettling 50s chill. But, you'll at least partially break out where you are circa late morning, and probably still make the low 70s that day. So not too bad.  As for eastern SNE, they're persecuted until the mid week main frontal thrust just resets the whole mess and we start over, synoptically.  That cinema or something similar is our regional destiny.  

Hell, if you look at the GGEM ?  In principle, there's some semblance of a Miller B type low ... Blocking in eastern Canada, stops the Lakes low, and a portion of its mechanics shears off underneath, and a weakly responding low over upstate NY relocates/develops along and E of Long Island.  That's Miller B...  

Acceptance of a stolen summer week and just setting sights on the longer range ... which ironically, looks uninspired and boring, is our reality.  Anything else is fake news .  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like it slams back screen doors, snapping flags and knocking 14 F off your temps in the first 1/2 hour of passage ~2 pm on Tuesday.

..Actually where you are it may be less pulsed or noticeable like that...but a ENE breeze over the canopy and noticeably cooler during that time frame, nonetheless.  NYC by dusk..  

Up here, we're done by 9 am ... Worcester by 10am.

Wed morning, everyone dawns under slate gray Labradorian vomit in the unsettling 50s chill. But, you'll break up out where you are late morning and probably still make the low 70s that day, so not too bad.  As for eastern SNE, they're persecuted until the front mid week main frontal thrust just resets the whole mess and we start over, synoptically.  That cinema or something similar is our regional destiny.  

Hell, if you look at the GGEM ?  In principle, there's some semblance of a Miller B type low ... Blocking in eastern Canada, stops the Lakes low, and a portion of its mechanics shears off underneath, and a weakly responding low over upstate NY relocates/develops along and E of Long Island.  That's Miller B...  

Acceptance of a stolen summer week and just setting sights on the longer range ... which ironically, looks uninspired and boring, is our reality.  Anything else is fake news .  

Ginx said 13 days of Coc k after tomorrow 

16 hours ago, Saguaro said:

From all my years living in ME, we never got any kind of interesting convection from these. It will probably just be a wind shift to low ceiling, clammy miserymist. The NWS forecast in western ME is about as bad as it gets for Tuesday onwards if you're ready for summer. I did notice the 12Z GFS shows an interesting bermuda high pattern for late next week, but obviously that's too far away to be taken seriously right now.

I've lived in the region for 35 years give or take ... I'm inclined to agree that rarely do they bang their way in - just based upon anecdotal experience.  However, there have been exceptions. 

One notable one ( Ryan out in CT has posted rad and write-ups about it) was a fascinating supercell that developed on the BD boundary out over western Mass.. It traversed over the Springfield area, with large hail, then continued to move almost due S bringing large hail accounts through the state of CT.  Gulf balls accumulating in gutters to curb height - but I also write fiction as a hobby so that part may be embellished some LOL. I do specifically recall lots of damage reports to windows/automobiles, though. 

The hail was damaging.  I remember the event vividly from afar. I was a student up at UML. We cased that out and got some lecture efforts out of the deal.  I remember the radar of the time had DBZ's ... 75 or something like they turned the dish around and zapped its self.  Huge returns... very deep in the atmosphere.  45+ K tops on the over shooting domes easily.  That boundary cut off a high 90s heat chance for eastern areas, btw.

I'm just musing the past occurrence here. I don't know what's going to take place tomorrow...probably just a conversion into low ceiling doom, with indoor lighting turning on by mid afternoon over eastern SNE.

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've lived in the region for 35 years give or take ... I'm inclined to agree that rarely do they bang their way in - just based upon anecdotal experience.  However, there have been exceptions. 

One notable one ( Ryan out in CT has posted rad and write-ups about it) was a fascinating supercell that developed on the BD boundary out over western Mass.. It traversed over the Springfield area, with large hail, then continued to move almost due S bringing large hail accounts through the state of CT.  Gulf balls accumulating in gutters to curb height - but I also write fiction as a hobby so that part may be embellished some LOL. I do specifically recall lots of damage reports to windows/automobiles, though. 

The hail was damaging.  I remember the event vividly from afar. I was a student up at UML. We cased that out and got some lecture efforts out of the deal.  I remember the radar of the time had DBZ's ... 75 or something like they turned the dish around and zapped its self.  Huge returns... very deep in the atmosphere.  45+ K tops on the over shooting domes easily.  That boundary cut off a high 90s heat chance for eastern areas, btw.

I'm just musing the past occurrence here. I don't know what's going to take place tomorrow...probably just a conversion into low ceiling doom, with indoor lighting turning on by mid afternoon over eastern SNE.

We had tennis balls in Vernon . It broke skylights in my neighborhood and every car in the area had pock marks on roofs and hoods. My mom had a brand new Accord and I vividly recall the dents that had to be fixed . Deep River , CT had even larger hail . There was an EML present for that one. Models don’t seem enthused with storms tomorrow 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

We had tennis balls in Vernon . It broke skylights in my neighborhood and every car in the area had pock marks on roofs and hoods. My mom had a brand new Accord and I vividly recall the dents that had to be fixed . Deep River , CT had even larger hail . There was an EML present for that one. Models don’t seem enthused with storms tomorrow 

Yeah, I haven't looked at the soundings, but guidance rip-read looks like a standard good ole fashioned BD the way the majority.    ....Rudely butting in.

50 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

6/20/95 was a bit backdoory, not sure if it qualifies

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1995/us0620.php

Mmm   not really ... That's coming down along a steep azymuth but not from the NE or E.   

I mean it's all a silliness anyway - a cold front's a cold front.  They go by one's location, one's location gets cold.  Front.  Nature doesn't care. LOL. It's all stupid...

But BDs get a little distinction in that typically fronts move from west to east, .... or in the least have west component embedded in their motion. But BD's really do purely move with east component that deviates their motion from pure N.  They can happen anywhere.  But this region is particularly prone to them for a few complex reasons -

That example you provided has too much west component to be "backing in"  - at least from that look.   But as an homage to the silliness of it, that front probably is a backdoor event, out in time, further south along the EC.  It'll at some point run out of W-E momentum over New England, and then pivots around it's self down over NJ and starts moving SW for PHL/DCA....