Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I should have just left the original 6-10" range that I had....even 8-12" may have been an unnecessary blink.

Def. the narrow 10-14" slot I had in N ORH hills and se NH.

I liked that general idea too near the CF, but so far models were too far west with that by a good bit. 

1 minute ago, George001 said:

This storm kinda sucks, what a letdown after the models showing a widespread 12+ for days. Still could make a comeback with the second half, but radar looks bad so that’s not looking likely.

Nothing showed 12" for you. How many times do we need to tell you about the clown maps in these events?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

It was alot better earlier in the heavy echos. Pretty good stuff for a swfe. Been worse recently with lighter echoes. Hair under 6" here so far 

Guidance (at least last night) showed that the dry slot raced in between 500 and 700 mb around 15z. So I can't say I'm surprised that it's getting poor now.

19 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

model fail ftw. why don't we just nowcast every storm from now on.

There were signs of Scooter on the runway with his flares. I was always a little skeptical of the northern edge of this. There was broad 700 mb f-gen, but more of a widespread light stuff, vs the 850 mb f-gen which cranked near the MA border. 

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Always be skeptical of widespread totals of 12"+ in a SWFE.....regardless of guidance.

This is correct. I was on board with a beefier SWFE here, but it's clear that the dry slot aloft is overwhelming good forcing around 850 mb.

• Like 2

Just now, dryslot said:

George, Honestly, These don't produce 12"+ just for the record, So remember that the next time you hug the models.

Yeah I should have known but still annoying to see the modes printing out 12+ like 2 days from the storm, only for it to cut back a ton and me ending up with like 6-7 inches. What happened to cause this to underperform so much? Low ratios? My area got boned a bit from the sleet but it looks like even north of the pike isn’t getting great snow rates either, which is surprising. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing showed 12" for you. How many times do we need to tell you about the clown maps in these events?

A few runs of the Euro and a couple mesoscale models did with the 10:1 maps, but I’m guessing ratios were less than that. Also got boned by the sleet line setting up north of here.

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This system flew through the area.  The NWS 8-12” zone will be more like a 5-9” zone.  The QPF was probably there but the snow growth was a limiting factor.

Little over 6” here. 

I remember some very reputable pro mets were tossing out numbers like 15 and even 18".....as many as these have, we always end up back at lesson 1 in the remediation process. lol

Just now, George001 said:

Yeah I should have known but still annoying to see the modes printing out 12+ like 2 days from the storm, only for it to cut back a ton and me ending up with like 6-7 inches. What happened to cause this to underperform so much? Low ratios? My area got boned a bit from the sleet but it looks like even north of the pike isn’t getting great snow rates either, which is surprising. 

That's generally the case as they will cut qpf back, Thats why these SWFE's have a ceiling, Its driven by WAA, Now if this was more of a coastal or a Miller B with well developed centers, Then its a different ball game for many then your relying on the track of those to who gets the goods.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remember some very reputable pro mets were tossing out numbers like 15 and even 18".....as many as these have, we always end up back at lesson 1 in the remediation process. lol

I mean, we have seen these produce a foot in our respective areas but all the ingredients need to come together for that.

I was also a little surprised how aggressive the on air Mets were and the NWS. 

In the end the pike region was the winner, no surprise this year though.

no complaints, still a decent storm and the snow has some meat to it.  Still only gets me to about 24” for the year.  

• Like 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I mean, we have seen these produce a foot in our respective areas but all the ingredients need to come together for that.

I was also a little surprised how aggressive the on air Mets were and the NWS. 

In the end the pike region was the winner, no surprise this year though.

no complaints, still a decent storm and the snow has some meat to it.  Still only gets me to about 24” for the year.  

BOS 6.9". So yeah it might be pike area near Will. Thought SNH would do a bit better, but they have time.