Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

Just now, stormtracker said:

Good question, I was scared when I saw the H5 map.  Then saw the surface and was like...whew.   Euro looks like shit too.  We are going to get something before the end of Feb.

looks like maybe the northern stream squashed the southern stream. Dosent matter...ukmet may be the worst model ive ever seen

Just now, CAPE said:

Destructive interference in the NS. Same with the Euro. The 0z run showed the way, but good luck getting that timing in reality.

lol what are the chances for nino modoki next year? That may be our only hope for the next 12 months

16 minutes ago, Ji said:

lol what are the chances for nino modoki next year? That may be our only hope for the next 12 months

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Nino is looking possible if not likely. No idea about Modoki.

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's been more than 10 years lol, but idk the frequency. Maybe every 20? Psu would know.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-97111-y

ETA: for anyone that doesn’t like to read the short of it is that using this method apparently modoki ninos can be predicted in advance and they are predicting one next year. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, CAPE said:

It's been more than 10 years lol, but idk the frequency. Maybe every 20? Psu would know.

I don’t even want to get into this because there are people who live to argue definitions and classifications and I hate that. There are disagreements about exactly what a modoki is. Some classify them as any Nino that originated from the central pac then sometimes propagates east. Others by any event where the warmer waters are centered in the central pac. For our purposes even a basin wide is ok so long as it’s moderate not a super Nino. But we definitely want the warmest anomalies to be in the central pac.  There doesn’t seem to be much pattern of regularity. I think there were modoki or modoki like episodes in 1964, 1966, 1970, 1978, 1980, 1987, 1995, 2003, 2005, 2010 and 2015.  

3 weren’t great. 1980 was a nightmare where every big storm (there were 3) hit the southern mid Atlantic and north of DC was just cold and dry. 2005 was weak and didn’t couple well and we got kinda unlucky on several storms. But it was a good winter just not great. 1995 sticks out as the WTF went wrong in that group. 1980 and 2005 at least bore characteristics of a modoki Nino and we just got unlucky. 95 was just an anomaly like 1996 was in the other way. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

My feeling is changes galore regarding day 6-10 are coming. 10 days from now we might be saying damn that was fun. Lots of potential. Hope nothing shows up on a model outside of 48 hours.

The potential can be seen on various op runs, but on most runs it's a miss. Given that, it makes sense we consistently see late/offshore on the ens mean, with a few members each run resembling the op when there is a hit. The progressive flow, amplifying LW pattern, and issues with resolving the subtle interactions between all the moving parts make it unlikely that we will see a consistent signal on the ops or ensembles outside of 4-5 days. Maybe by Thursday we will have a better idea. For now, we just can't know- although some probably think they do lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

I don’t even want to get into this because there are people who live to argue definitions and classifications and I hate that. There are disagreements about exactly what a modoki is. Some classify them as any Nino that originated from the central pac then sometimes propagates east. Others by any event where the warmer waters are centered in the central pac. For our purposes even a basin wide is ok so long as it’s moderate not a super Nino. But we definitely want the warmest anomalies to be in the central pac.  There doesn’t seem to be much pattern of regularity. I think there were modoki or modoki like episodes in 1964, 1966, 1970, 1978, 1980, 1987, 1995, 2003, 2005, 2010 and 2015.  

3 weren’t great. 1980 was a nightmare where every big storm (there were 3) hit the southern mid Atlantic and north of DC was just cold and dry. 2005 was weak and didn’t couple well and we got kinda unlucky on several storms. But it was a good winter just not great. 1995 sticks out as the WTF went wrong in that group. 1980 and 2005 at least bore characteristics of a modoki Nino and we just got unlucky. 95 was just an anomaly like 1996 was in the other way. 

94-95 had a KU.  It wasn’t a total dud. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The potential can be seen on various op runs, but on most runs it's a miss. Given that, it makes sense we consistently see late/offshore on the ens mean, with a few members each run resembling the op when there is a hit. The progressive flow, amplifying LW pattern, and issues with resolving the subtle interactions between all the moving parts make it unlikely that we will see a consistent signal on the ops or ensembles outside of 4-5 days. Maybe by Thursday we will have a better idea. For now, we just can't know- although some probably think they do lol.

even though the Euro is a miss at 12z..your EPS seems to have a few more L's showing up than the 0z 

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

This is how I define Modoki. Anyone who disagrees should be put in an insane asylum. 

godzillanino (1).gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, midatlanticweather said:

Based on the lack of posting.. obviously the 18z GFS was nothing good for snow lovers. It was horrible.. but also it looked really messy and chaotic. 

I'm already ignoring the V-Day threat...lol Not saying something happens on PD weekend but it does look stromyish way out there...

2 hours ago, Ji said:

even though the Euro is a miss at 12z..your EPS seems to have a few more L's showing up than the 0z 

lol my EPS. Well there are 50 members that are all perturbed slightly differently than the op, but still only 2 of those L positions are good for you. The takeaway is late/offshore, supporting the op.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic