Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

snowmagnet

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Remember though, we don’t want it to show on models until Saturday lol

Some actually say and mean that…but for the most part 90% of storms end up hitting the general place they bullseye once inside 100 hours. There are some adjustments on the fringes but once we get to 100 hours the guidance has been really good the last few years. Seems between 150 to 100 hours is when the convergence on a close to reality solution happens. We’re in that zone now. And it’s trending better. Problem is that trend could end anytime and very soon I suspect we see guidance find something close to the final outcome and we still have a bit of work to do. 

We haven’t had much luck getting the SS to time up with the NS lately. Our best chances came when the NS simply dug enough to get it done itself. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Some actually say and mean that…but for the most part 90% of storms end up hitting the general place they bullseye once inside 100 hours. There are some adjustments on the fringes but once we get to 100 hours the guidance has been really good the last few years. Seems between 150 to 100 hours is when the convergence on a close to reality solution happens. We’re in that zone now. And it’s trending better. Problem is that trend could end anytime and very soon I suspect we see guidance find something close to the final outcome and we still have a bit of work to do. 

We haven’t had much luck getting the SS to time up with the NS lately. Our best chances came when the NS simply dug enough to get it done itself. 

The idea for the storm is well established. It all just happens to be a little late for us. That’s an adjustment that can pretty easily happen within 48.

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The idea for the storm is well established. It all just happens to be a little late for us. That’s an adjustment that can pretty easily happen within 48.

It could. But how often in the last 5 years have we said that. And how often did some adjustment happen in the last 48 hours that actually helped in a significant way?  The fringe areas will adjust of course. But it seems increasingly rare that we actually see major synoptic changes that move the core of a storm that much in the final 48 hours anymore.  I think if we are really in the game we will see major improvements in the next 24 hours. 

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

So the Miller B, then...is just when it's all NS and transfers at our latitude then bombs out? Rather than a sloppy phase that comes together too late? (I know there was debate over the previous NE blizzard, lol)

I believe that this is simply a miller A that bombs out too late for us. The current GFS and Icon have a low pressure off the coast south of NC. This is due to a SS and NS component that phases too late. This picture of the 6z GFS shows how it is a miller A due to the low off the coast and no miller B element. 

prateptype_cat.conus.png

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So the Miller B, then...is just when it's all NS and transfers at our latitude then bombs out? Rather than a sloppy phase that comes together too late? (I know there was debate over the previous NE blizzard, lol)

Who cares lol. All the energy of interest originates in the NS- just go to h5 vorticity and hit play. It all enters from the N PAC and drops in on the east side of the amped ridge. What matters is the interplay between those waves.

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic