• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

It took a brave soul to write that outlook, even as harsh a snow-fanatic as myself would likely have gone with a more subdued tone after seeing all this meh guidance. Still, it could be like the 1970s and the outcome is nothing like the guidance at all. Sometimes the crudeness of the early generation models is overstated, they weren't that bad, but I do remember one or two cases where reality was quite a surprise compared to any 12-24 hour model output, for example, Jan 26 1978. If that happens here, basically 30-40 years of technological development will mean butkus. 

My toned down prediction would be 12-24 inches east of a CON-ORH-PVD-ACK 12" contour, max near Taunton MA. Maybe 15" in parts of se CT and LI here and there. Probably about 7" on average in w CT to central MA. 

Hoping reality gives me a kick in the butkus. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, klw said:

Q- are the models properly equipped to use the additional data collected from the recon flights if they are not usually part of the input?

Just curious.

Thanks, I will hang up and take my answer off the air..

Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, CT Valley Dryslot said:

Mets don't answer to the models. They answer to science. The science must lead them to believe something else.

The models are the science. Nobody looks at a satellite image and says it will snow two feet tomorrow at a precise location. The models tell us that the mid level features might get strung out and shunted east more than previously thought.

Reminds me a little of the disconnect between sensible wx output and the upper air in the 2/15/15 storm. The model guidance was shoving this massive WCB out east and up into Maine (where blizzard warnings busted iirc) and being paltry over SNE despite obscene height falls south of MVY/ACK

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Final call. We kept our original forecast pretty much the same with amounts just tilted the axis of snowfall a bit to orient it more SW to NE. Tri-state area stayed very similar with the 12-20" range extending farther west across long island.

CT:

01_28.22_jdj_snowfall_forecast_fri_update.thumb.jpg.1f8fa30224840181ce8929f39e2e39f3.jpg

Tri-state:

01_28.22_jdj_tri_state_snowfall_forecast_fri_update.thumb.jpg.e70265be2a2accb59c6b7c64894ec7e2.jpg

CT warnings:

01_28.22_ct_watch_warning_advisory_fri_update.thumb.jpg.a2d671b42fbe9390420591c9efa108ed.jpg

Yet both still managed to split Tolland in half . I wish you guys were familiar with this area. It doesn’t happen like that lol. But it’s a good map IMO

1 minute ago, skierinvermont said:

The models are the science. Nobody looks at a satellite image and says it will snow two feet tomorrow. The models tell us that the mid level features might get strung out and shunted east more than previously thought.

Models aren’t perfect as they are programmed by humans.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Reminds me a little of the disconnect between sensible wx output and the upper air in the 2/15/15 storm. The model guidance was shoving this massive WCB out east and up into Maine (where blizzard warnings busted iirc) and being paltry over SNE despite obscene height falls south of MVY/ACK

For those of us who don’t remember individual storms….how’d that go? I assume good since it was 2015.

20 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Is bet dollars to donuts the EC goes east at 18z. All the guidance has except really the NAM which started out east but recovered late. 

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It will definitely be ripping tomorrow…but the key is do we lose some of that WCB injection. That is the difference between like a 15” storm over metrowest and a 25”+ storm. 

Have you or will you if you haven’t issue a call for SNE? 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

3 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

For those of us who don’t remember individual storms….how’d that go? I assume good since it was 2015.

No.

About as classic a going down with the ship forecast as there ever was. PWM ended up with 2 inches after a blizzard warning was hoisted to Sugarloaf.

I think like 5 or 6 of our warnings verified out of 33. 

• Sad 2