• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Powerful Multi-regional/ multi-faceted east coastal storm now above medium confidence: Jan 29 -30th, MA to NE, with snow and mix combining high wind, and tides. Unusual early confidence ...

Typhoon Tip

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve always thought that RI and parts of SE CT can be in a bit of a hole from the massive amount of on-shore convergence and lift in SE Mass.  Speed convergence from sea to land, coastal front, just massive pile up of air that rises in SE Mass and then a sinking air couplet past that lift into RI or even adjacent CT.  Almost like a mini-standing wave like you’d see in orographics.

Not saying it happens always or whatever, but in a fluid atmosphere one can envision that sort of monster low level lift in SE Mass having a ying to its yang downstream.

Then further west of that you get into mid-level lifting/banding.

What also happens is friction causes an ageostrophic component to the wind. When you have onshore flow the wind inland is turned to the left or cyclonic. That helps to create extra convergence just inland with onshore flow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Stop it bro. You may have me at 12” if we don’t slide back east but 24+ and now you’re just clowning me. 

Just so you know, in Feb 13 my area was forecast for 10-15” and the same massive amounts that you’re seeing forecasted for Eastern Massachusetts now, we’re being forecasted then.  We ended up with 33” on a 10-15” forecast the day of when it was already snowing. 

You don’t know how these monsters are gonna set up the Banding, and where the banding will actually be? Primary band, secondary band etc..we won’t know until it starts happening.  This could be similar..there will be surprises with this. You might want to keep an open mind. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

16 minutes ago, HinghamBoss said:

What’s the most snow recorded at a SNE weather station in a single storm?  Is it the 34” in Worcester during Juno?

for all the hemming and hawing over this storm, I don’t think the historic aspect of potential accumulations is being appreciated.

Total aside: I remember a storm when I was in college where Schwoegler hyped 40-50”.  Was that 2001 or 2002?

Blue Hill actually has the highest for a first order station in SNE with 38.7 in the Feb 1969 storm. 

34.5” at ORH in Jan 2015 is the 2nd highest for a first order station. I think their 33.0” in Apr 1997 is 3rd. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Just so you know, in Feb 13 my area was forecast for 10-15” and the same massive amounts that you’re seeing forecasted for Eastern Massachusetts now, we’re being forecasted then.  We ended up with 33” on a 10-15” forecast the day of when it was already snowing. 

You don’t know how these monsters are gonna set up the Banding, and where the banding will actually be? Primary band, secondary band etc..we won’t know until it starts happening.  This could be similar..there will be surprises with this. You might want to keep an open mind. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You also need to consider whether or not guidance is far enough west with that feature, which is dubious, but if it is....I am near ground zero there.

Bingo. I think Brian was forecast to get like 4-8" in Dec 2020.....38" later-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What also happens is friction causes an ageostrophic component to the wind. When you have onshore flow the wind inland is turned to the left or cyclonic. That helps to create extra convergence just inland with onshore flow. 

Great insight!  I know there has to be more happening… that ageostrophic turning likely makes a more pronounced sinking motion just beyond it too, no?  I can imagine that happening in low level lift while a deeper level wave forms over top maybe.  I always try to envision the air flow fluidly to explain maxes and mins and why they end up where they do.  A side effect of living in orographic land.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Blue Hill actually has the highest for a first order station in SNE with 38.7 in the Feb 1969 storm. 

34.5” at ORH in Jan 2015 is the 2nd highest for a first order station. I think their 33.0” in Apr 1997 is 3rd. 

What did Blue Hill measure in ‘78.  I feel I should know that

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What was 92 Will, I thought that set the record at that time?

2 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Right. You have to separate my hobbyist thoughts for a forecast from my weenie thoughts for personal satisfaction though. Does that make sense? Not sure if I explained that properly. Of course, technically, anything is possible so my mind is open and my sweatpants are untied, ready for a quick drop if something magical occurs…but I’m forecasting that when nothing, not even one rogue run, has shown the possibility (yet).

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You also need to consider whether or not guidance is far enough west with that feature, which is dubious, but if it is....I am near ground zero there.

In windy storms you want to be on the down wind side . Like that local 8-10” upslope storm in this area in Morch a few years ago . It was snowing over BDL yet all the snow was deposited in the hills of TOL county. In these bombs with ripping winds ENE the west side of those bands.. wherever they end up .. just get hammered 

• Like 1