Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3, 2022 CAPE Storm Obs/Nowcast

WxUSAF

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Someone broke WB, too many people trying to view it...but the probabilities updated and it was a huge increase in the probability of 3" and 6" across Maryland.  Gets the 50% probability of 6" up into southern PA now when it was down near Baltimore last run.  From the probabilities you can tell it shifted NW quite a bit.  But the actual panels didnt update yet when I looked.  

Thanks. Figured we would start seeing that at game time. Was a little concerned with the NAM's at 18z. But being concerned with the NAM's is not very smart. :)

BTW... the SREF's are mostly useless due to the crazy output of some of the members...but if I was going to use anything at all from them it would be the probabilities.   

I personally find the precip type probabilities plume to be useful in looking for transition times in coastals!

• Thanks 1

BTW... the SREF's are mostly useless due to the crazy output of some of the members...but if I was going to use anything at all from them it would be the probabilities.   

I think the Hrrr and SREFs are both pretty useless. I’ve seen brief times where it seems the Hrrr is providing added value, but it just bounces around too much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I was looking at general consensus of the members. When they basically all look good I think you can feel good about that

• Haha 1

Just now, Ji said:
2 minutes ago, Ravens94 said:
Let's see if the NAM follows the SREF-HRRR trend. I'd be absolutely amazed if it did not shift NW

Nam will probably go se cause everyone expects it to go nw lol

I don’t think it’s worth much over analyzing model output when you’re within 10 hours of game time, but you can get weird jumps on the convection resolving models as they respond to big thunderstorm clusters. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

That WV image shows the trough is perfectly neutral tilt right over the MS Valley.  Look at how the boundary between the dry and moist air (dark and bright) is oriented N/S along the AL/MS border.

Was looking at that in the chat earlier...it really is classic looking.  If the NS could just back off a tad this would be a region wide winner...  One thing I wonder...usually when we see these sharp cutoffs that kill our northern zones the airmass is much colder.  I don't remember many instances where we get this kind of cutoff when it's still in the 40's up here even up here just a few hours before the storm.   I know the mid level flow has a lot to do with it and not just the airmass but I do tend to think (maybe hope) that maybe the moisture can press a little further given the marginal airmass.  

9 minutes ago, alexderiemer said:

Was the rude comment really necessary? I'm as much a part of this subforum as you. I track and root for the same storms as you. This kind of attitude is what drives people away or into lurking.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with you but this region is bloodsport with snow and you just have to be tough and ignore the rude BS, or dish it back at them!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Thanks. Figured we would start seeing that at game time. Was a little concerned with the NAM's at 18z. But being concerned with the NAM's is not very smart. :)

The NAM can sometimes score a coup.  I can remember a few times it was the ONLY model showing something and that happened.  The problem is it's so inconsistent and unreliable and goes off on tangents with feedback issues and problems with chasing exponential errors...that you have no idea when its on to something or just being the NAM.  On the whole it probably just adds more confusion and stress even if once in a while its right.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Hey @CntrTim85, if you really want a timeout, you can just say so

This.

Interlopers are welcome.  But not if you're here to troll or antagonize.  Kinda try to read the room.

Also, for the most part, yall have been tolerable and I didn't storm mode this thread.  Some banter is allowed and we can have some fun here and there, but try to mainly keep it on point.  Don't make me release the Mappy-Ken.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3