Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

Nice coverage by y'all overnight.

Concur with wdrag re the wave space contentions.   The gist: we enter a pattern steeped in big potential; capped by negative interference.  

Longer thoughts: Should any one of these waves "correct" or open up in guidance by even a little, there's apt to be a hefty return on storm genesis - it may take the 72 hour window for the models to emerge that, as anything near -side of the mid range and beyond seems to be muddled by native model bias. 

I personally still like Monday... It was a D9-11 ( for those following..) notion at last event end, now D7/8.   I wonder if/when the operational GFS ( and to some extent the Euro) stop tussling on the two waves the GGEM is not fighting over, and start favoring that period for just such a plausible correction mentioned above.

The thing is, the 13-14th system to me almost looks fake.  I'm noticing in all the guidance ( really ), there is a bit of a +PNA --> ridge assessment happening 48-84 hours off the 00z; consequentially, that is "kinking" the flow into a trough due to natural ordering of L/W forcing immediate down stream.  The models than use that, but here's the thing they are using that alone, without the benefit of very convincing actual S/W input ( or at least less impressive).  Given in situ the ginormous native instability where and whenever the west Atlantic thermal source meets a continental spilling polar air mass, that's all the excuse these runs need to spawn that big low.  Noticing it's broad circulation with several cyclonic nodes ...It just looks like much of it is thus artificial to me. We'll see.  There's likely to be something there - I'm wondering how much. If less..less interference lends to more conserved late in the weekend/early next week.  

Not a thread -worth idea just yet, but I'm poised should more members start looking like the GGEM.  Heh...I would almost never side with the GGEM at this range, and I'm not. But, there is reason to suspect just the same. 

Having said all that... There is a much bigger signal in the deep range, 270-ish hrs.   It's been lurking...fi we want to call that range lurking.  I mentioned yesterday that it could either be just the pattern maximization, OR, ... one of those upper tier scenarios that begins showing up at unusually long-leads, due to having overwhelming physical significance in the total circulation mode.  There are a few that performed this way in guidance...  1993, Sandy leap to mind, but I'm sure we could dig up others.  Anyway, might be that... might just simply be the pattern getting to it's more dominate form before entering decay... I will say that the 06 z GEFs mean did manifest an impressive signal around that time, with multiple close pressure contours, and a 48 hour QPF outlook well over an inch.   

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Eh...I'd still take an expected foot over a surprise inch, but that's just me.

Of course. But some of my most memorable snow events were things like forecasted rain that morphed into 5" of mashed potatoes with thunder, a forecast of scattered snow showers that turned into a localized norlun trof pounding, or even the expectation of cold and dry interrupted by white out snow squalls. Snow happiness is maximized when an event overperforms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Of course. But some of my most memorable snow events were things like forecasted rain that morphed into 5" of mashed potatoes with thunder, a forecast of scattered snow showers that turned into a localized norlun trof pounding, or even the expectation of cold and dry interrupted by white out snow squalls. Snow happiness is maximized when an event overperforms.

I agree, but it needs to be greater than 5" for me....12/23/97, 12/14/92 and 4/1/97 are probably my most notable surprises/overachievers.

How many of the EPS ensembles show effects from the storm Friday in NE? Still think that, versus Sunday, is where our bread may be buttered

Also that warm signal at the end of the GFS is no bueno.. shows a coastal storm that literally brings rain to the entire region outside of Northern Maine.

2 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

How many of the EPS ensembles show effects from the storm Friday in NE? Still think that, versus Sunday, is where our bread may be buttered

Also that warm signal at the end of the GFS is no bueno.. shows a coastal storm that literally brings rain to the entire region outside of Northern Maine.

If we get another 384 hours out without a major snow event, then I will be all for warmer weather, so I am not even worried about it

8 minutes ago, tiger_deF said:

I wouldn’t be worrying about any signals on an OP 384 hr run one bit. 

Lol..everybody was giddy yesterday with the great pattern emerging, and today we have the Debbie’s doing what they do…all because the modeling today doesn’t know what s/w to key in on.  Sure it can all fail…but give me this super looking set up over the next two plus weeks, instead of that shit in December anytime.   We take and appreciate, and let the details work themselves out as we go along. 

• Confused 1